Premed 101 Forums

Official University Of Alberta 2016 Pharmacy Applicants - Class Of 2020

starrynight111

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where could I find more information about transferable classes? I completed my degree and was wondering if I could get credit for any of those classes. Thanks!

Hi PharmStew,

I am also in the same situation as you and I emailed Rae last week and she informed me that there are actually no published expectations for which courses can be used as options and the grades do not count toward your GPA in Pharmacy. The only 'rules' in the UofA calendar states that you cannot use a course that was a prerequisite to get you admitted to the program and you cannot use two 100-level courses in the same subject (for example, ECON 101 and ECON 102).

I also listed four classes to see whether they were transferable and Rae got back to me saying that they were transferable and that there was nothing further I needed to do for this requirement.

I hope that helps!

Hey, so on the Pharmacy U of A website it says that July 27th is the deadline to upload your picture to the onecard office. If we are a U of A student already and our onecard is still valid, do we still have to do this?

Hey, so on the Pharmacy U of A website it says that July 27th is the deadline to upload your picture to the onecard office. If we are a U of A student already and our onecard is still valid, do we still have to do this?

No I don't think this step is required if you are already a U of A student !

Hi PharmStew,

I am also in the same situation as you and I emailed Rae last week and she informed me that there are actually no published expectations for which courses can be used as options and the grades do not count toward your GPA in Pharmacy. The only 'rules' in the UofA calendar states that you cannot use a course that was a prerequisite to get you admitted to the program and you cannot use two 100-level courses in the same subject (for example, ECON 101 and ECON 102).

I also listed four classes to see whether they were transferable and Rae got back to me saying that they were transferable and that there was nothing further I needed to do for this requirement.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for your help!

Hey,

I think everyone is going to get new OneCards anyways because we need the prox cards for door access.

Mine is still valid too but I'm probably going to submit an updated picture since it will be for the next 4 years... my photo is the same one from 7 years ago!

Hey so if the pharmD is implemented before we graduate, will we graduate with a pharmD or a bsc degree?  Thanks in advance

If the PharmD program is approved, the classes of 2018, 2019, and 2020 are going to graduate with PharmD's. The faculty has plans to implement a bridging program (BSc Pharm --> PharmD), which requires an extra semester of courses during the summer after 3rd year.

Hey Guys! Just found this forum now so i'm a little late haha. Anyways I got accepted on June 9th and I am super excited to meet you all! Also I saw that there is a facebook group, any chance one of you could send me a invite?

Thanks

Hi hansen.adam96,

I believe you can join the Facebook group by clicking on the link provided by the welcome class of 2020 email and then entering your ualberta email. It will be shortly approved by one of the administrators in the group.

Hope that helps!

I was just wondering if anyone got in from Macewan University this year? I talked to Rae and was told that it does not matter as long as pre reqs are filled, but just out of curiosity

Thanks in advanced

I got in from MacEwan this year. I just made sure that all the courses that I took transferred using the Alberta Transfer guide before I took them. Most of the courses at MacEwan seem to transfer so the pre reqs were easy to fill. If you have any questions feel free to message me :)

Does anyone know if the police information check that is requested by ACP (through the BackCheck system) can also be used for the experiential placement (PIC + Vulnerable Sector check) that they refer to on the welcome letter?

No it will not suffice.  What i would suggest is that you get the pic+ vulnerable sector done and then u can just photocopy it and have ur guarantor sign it and send that to ACP, that is what rae told me.  Hope that helps 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could confirm whether or not first year u of a pharmacy students get the fall term reading week (Nov 7 - Nov 11) off? Thanks!

I believe when I checked the google calendar Rae uploaded for us it said classes were cancelled for fall break. Not 100% sure, but that's a good place to look.

Also, if you're not starting pharmacy this fall, the UofA calendar will have those details.

• 9 months later...
On 6/24/2016 at 4:39 PM, x00f said:

Hey guys  :) I received my admission offer early this afternoon!

Here are my stats for those of you wondering:

pGPA: 3.32

cGPA: 3.6

Best Year 30 Credit Year: 3.81

BSc completed in 2016, IP 

Thought my LOI was decent and my interview was okay. 

I can't wait to meet everyone in September! 

Sorry to reopen this, but I could genuinely use the advice. I didn't apply in my first year because my GPA wasn't all that great, but im upgrading my courses in second year (I heard they take the higher mark if you take a higher level?), but my pGPA is about the same as yours, and my cGPA is will be approx. 3.4-3.5 by the time I'm done 2nd year. Seeing that you completed BSc would you say it benefited you in the program or was it a waste of tuition fees? 

Also, if I were to apply does anyone have tips about writing the LOI and the Interview? Any form of advice would be GREATLY appreciated! 

Thanks in advanced! 

Archived