Premed 101 Forums

What do people wear for class?

Hey guys! I'm figuring out if I need to add some more clothes to my wardrobe and realized that I have no clue what's appropriate and what's not. What types of clothes do people usually wear to lectures, tutorials, and all the first year stuff where there's no patient contact? E.g. would jeans and a sweater be the norm, or more formal pants and a blouse?

You can wear whatever you want ( nobody really cares especially when it is lectures), but I always try to look put together.   It also really depends on your personality and if you are able to wake up early enough so that you have 15-20 mins to do ur hair, put some makeup, dress up nicely.  It would be a good idea to invest in blazers ( black, grey, and navy one), blouses ( neutral colors),  skirts, and dress pants :) !!  I dress semi-formally on most days, even when it is lectures because I always wake up super early and have time to dress up.

My favourite places to shop for professional/semi-formal clothing: aritzia,  banana republic, gap, Rw&co, rickis, h&m :) 

Patient contact involved activities-Dress professionally. Non patient stuff-nobody cares. That being said, for PBL, it could be tutor dependent. Some tutors may prefer formal-wear. I've personally never had a tutor who cared about it, but I suppose it's possible. For lecture, nobody will likely even notice what you're wearing. For clinical skills sessions, they'll usually tell you if you need to dress professionally. 

3 hours ago, f011235813 said:

Patient contact involved activities-Dress professionally. Non patient stuff-nobody cares. That being said, for PBL, it could be tutor dependent. Some tutors may prefer formal-wear. I've personally never had a tutor who cared about it, but I suppose it's possible. For lecture, nobody will likely even notice what you're wearing. For clinical skills sessions, they'll usually tell you if you need to dress professionally. 

How professional are we talking about here? Like tuxedo and blazer professional or something lighter?

5 minutes ago, Distancea said:

How professional are we talking about here? Like tuxedo and blazer professional or something lighter?

Personally, I wear a button down dress shirt and dress pants. I know some classmates wear nice shirts (not button down or anything) or a nicer sweater. It's not like interview day wear for example. You don't need to wear a tuxedo and blazer or a tie. I don't know of anyone who does, although it's possible people do. 

NOTE: for OSCE's, it's a little different. Some people wore ties. Pretty sure all the guys wore button down dress shirts. (Could be wrong on that though)

3 hours ago, f011235813 said:

Personally, I wear a button down dress shirt and dress pants. I know some classmates wear nice shirts (not button down or anything) or a nicer sweater. It's not like interview day wear for example. You don't need to wear a tuxedo and blazer or a tie. I don't know of anyone who does, although it's possible people do. 

NOTE: for OSCE's, it's a little different. Some people wore ties. Pretty sure all the guys wore button down dress shirts. (Could be wrong on that though)

Haha, thanks. I figured as much. 

Archived