Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was in the Montreal subway an hour ago. Saw an ad of Ross university for their med and vet school. Also, 2 weeks ago, there was a grad school fair at McGill and all big 4 carribean schools were there advertising. Sheesh, these schools really advertise hardcore.

It's all over toronto's subway, I think St. George also advertises here

Just found out that I didn't get a job I applied for, which went to a much less qualified applicant (or rather, I just found out who that was). As in, even upon asking those working there, they're baffled (I didn't even receive an interview).

Feeling kinda down! And finances are getting a bit tight. ):

I just read Birdy's post regarding paying for med school.

I hear that! The idea of going 3-4 years with no income and the cost of tuition is what kept me from even thinking medicine was possible for the past few years.

I actually spent years wishing I had done medicine the first time around (i.e. right after undergrad) and thinking that doing it now would be impossible. What a waste of time that was! I finally decided that it was worth trying for. However, I have not put as much money into it as some non-trads because I have not gone back to school to work on increasing my GPA (my chances are not fabulous because of this, but I really don't have the time or money to do that).

I also worry that, if by some miracle, I get in, I might have trouble getting an LOC too. However, I think that any Canadian medical student could probably get the LOC in this case unless the bank thought that they were a HUGE bankruptcy risk. It also worries me that I wouldn't get government loans because I have been working all year, unlike a lot of premeds who have been in school full time.

One thing I sort of suspect is that the various private bursaries and scholarships that are out there might be possible. Especially those that require an individual application. I have a strong feeling that a lot of students don't bother applying for everything they can when they have a huge LOC from the bank that they can use.

Birdy definitely do not cancel your Ontario apps though! You don't even know if you got interviews yet, and even then, I would say it's worth the travel expenses even though they are a lot. You don't want to come this far and then regret it. Hopefully you end up getting accepted out East in the end.

If anyone else has input on financially surviving medical school as a non-trad I would love to hear it! Birdy (or anyone else) feel free to PM me if you want to rant more the topic!

Just found out that I didn't get a job I applied for, which went to a much less qualified applicant (or rather, I just found out who that was). As in, even upon asking those working there, they're baffled (I didn't even receive an interview).

Sorry to hear that. I've been there too unfortunately. Hopefully you'll get an acceptance for September and then it will all be a distant memory.  :)

I hate it when that happens, but you never know what might come along that you might've otherwise passed up.

I feel you on the finances thing. Sucks how this process does that!

Congrats! You must be so relieved right now!

Well, right now I am just very bored. I am sitting at the St John's airport because my flight doesn't leave for three hours! Had to check out of my B&B before I went to my interview, and so I've had to drag my luggage around all day. Went and saw a movie, wandered around the mall for a while, and now I'm bored.

I'm a bit peeved. Late July I hurt my back training. It wasn't that bad, but I took my time with the rehab. Visited my physiotherapist 3x a week until it was better, did all the exercises and followed every bit of advice. About 4 weeks ago I was cleared to train hard again and start doing squats and deadlifts. My first training session (not weights, but sport training), I hurt my knee. I'm not sure what happened, but the next morning my knee was sore and swollen.

4 weeks later, I haven't trained and my knee is still swollen. I've been busy with classes and family commitments, so I haven't been able to see the physio, but its a real piss off. I wanted to make a real run to compete a lot this upcoming season, and now I think I may have hurt myself badly without realizing.

I'm a bit peeved. Late July I hurt my back training. It wasn't that bad, but I took my time with the rehab. Visited my physiotherapist 3x a week until it was better, did all the exercises and followed every bit of advice. About 4 weeks ago I was cleared to train hard again and start doing squats and deadlifts. My first training session (not weights, but sport training), I hurt my knee. I'm not sure what happened, but the next morning my knee was sore and swollen.

4 weeks later, I haven't trained and my knee is still swollen. I've been busy with classes and family commitments, so I haven't been able to see the physio, but its a real piss off. I wanted to make a real run to compete a lot this upcoming season, and now I think I may have hurt myself badly without realizing.

Oh man that sucks. :(

I hope you can get back to see your physio soon. I screwed up my knee badly last year and it's still giving me issues now. Only exercise I can do is swim and I can barely manage stairs. Knees will make you regret it if you don't take the time to give them the recovery they need. I hope you're doing better soon, but get thee to a physio!

Oh man that sucks. :(

I hope you can get back to see your physio soon. I screwed up my knee badly last year and it's still giving me issues now. Only exercise I can do is swim and I can barely manage stairs. Knees will make you regret it if you don't take the time to give them the recovery they need. I hope you're doing better soon, but get thee to a physio!

I have had almost every knee injury imaginable. Two MCL tears, 3 torn menisci, and LCL strain. I'm happy I've avoided tearing my ACL. I decided to do heavy squats today and my knee felt fine. I can't study if I go too long without physical activity, and I figured a Yoga class would actually be more painful than moving heavy objects up and down.

My physio will not be pleased :D

I have had almost every knee injury imaginable. Two MCL tears, 3 torn menisci, and LCL strain. I'm happy I've avoided tearing my ACL. I decided to do heavy squats today and my knee felt fine. I can't study if I go too long without physical activity, and I figured a Yoga class would actually be more painful than moving heavy objects up and down.

My physio will not be pleased :D

Thats a lot of injuries! I know the most absolutely amazing physio but he is on vancouver island. He is the best healthcare professional I have ever met. Really committed to getting people better. His name is Gary Ecklin of Go West Physiotherapy in Duncan BC. And no I am not related to him! just a former patient. If your on vancouver island i highly recommend you see him. He will get you better, and prevent future injuries.

On another note, I'm feeling kinda bummed right now that I could get 2 low grades this semester. I'm feeling very optimistic about the January semester because I'm really going to crack down on my habits, but as for this semester I can't help but feel I've let myself and everyone down. I was supposed to get ALL good grades since returning to school, and I have up to this point. But this semester is in jeopardy because of 2 courses I really didn't like.

Sometimes dropping a course that you're doing poorly in is better than keeping it. I'm not sure what your grade is, but if you think you can get a B+ than maybe keep it, but if you're looking at a best possible grade of a B or lower, it probably isn't worth the damage to the GPA. With that said, the financial loss of dropping a course, and losing the full courseload status is definitely something to consider. Another thing is if you're passed the drop date for the course because then it will show up as a withdrawal on your transcript - i'm not sure how medical schools look at that.

Sometimes dropping a course that you're doing poorly in is better than keeping it. I'm not sure what your grade is, but if you think you can get a B+ than maybe keep it, but if you're looking at a best possible grade of a B or lower, it probably isn't worth the damage to the GPA. With that said, the financial loss of dropping a course, and losing the full courseload status is definitely something to consider. Another thing is if you're passed the drop date for the course because then it will show up as a withdrawal on your transcript - i'm not sure how medical schools look at that.

Thanks but I have to keep my course load to maintain funding.

Went to a premed event at UBC today and they had a raffle for a Princeton review mcat prep course and I won! Basically just won $2500!!! So excited.

Also I went to another premed event on Sunday specifically for nontrads (called the UBC premed diversity symposium) and that event was amazing! Highly recommend it for anyone interested next year. The student speakers and last 2 doctors speaking were simply amazing. Might have been the highlight of my year (aside from getting an A average last semester).

Went to a premed event at UBC today and they had a raffle for a Princeton review mcat prep course and I won! Basically just won $2500!!! So excited.

Also I went to another premed event on Sunday specifically for nontrads (called the UBC premed diversity symposium) and that event was amazing! Highly recommend it for anyone interested next year. The student speakers and last 2 doctors speaking were simply amazing. Might have been the highlight of my year (aside from getting an A average next semester).

You went to MAD?  :o  How was it? Was it something that would still be useful for someone who has gone through the medical admissions process? I wanted to go, but I volunteer on Tuesday evenings so I couldn't check it out!

You went to MAD?  :o  How was it? Was it something that would still be useful for someone who has gone through the medical admissions process? I wanted to go, but I volunteer on Tuesday evenings so I couldn't check it out!

I mean there might be the odd thing here or there you learn, but if you read a lot of these forums you know the general ideas. I like to go because even if I learn one thing I find it useful because every little bit helps for getting into med.

Also the main UBC adcom lady was there, so asking her questions is very helpful.

I mean there might be the odd thing here or there you learn, but if you read a lot of these forums you know the general ideas. I like to go because even if I learn one thing I find it useful because every little bit helps for getting into med.

Also the main UBC adcom lady was there, so asking her questions is very helpful.

Good to know! I go to the info sessions sometimes for that very reason. Someone will ask a question I haven't thought of (oftentimes) and I'll get to learn something new.

Congrats on your winning the raffle! I was going to type something about good luck coming in threes, but I'm not superstitious so I'll just say... I hope your good luck continues and best of luck on your finals!

any useful non-trad info?

any useful non-trad info?

Well overall the whole experience just makes you want to apply. It is very encouraging for nontrads but I'm blanking on the specifics. One great thing was a student speaker applicant who applied 7 times and just got in this year. There are other useful things like the workshops where you are put into groups of about 6 with 1 med student and you go through this booklet which cases and questions of nontrad applicants. Definitely a good quality exercise to do.

Hearing nontrad success stories just gets you so excited though and makes you feel like you are meant for medicine too. Just a great event and highly recommend it.

Well overall the whole experience just makes you want to apply. It is very encouraging for nontrads but I'm blanking on the specifics. One great thing was a student speaker applicant who applied 7 times and just got in this year. There are other useful things like the workshops where you are put into groups of about 6 with 1 med student and you go through this booklet which cases and questions of nontrad applicants. Definitely a good quality exercise to do.

Hearing nontrad success stories just gets you so excited though and makes you feel like you are meant for medicine too. Just a great event and highly recommend it.

I think that student who applied 7 times posts on this forum. I can't remember the username, but I remember seeing something like that. I think to the Victoria Island Campus (why do I remember that and not the name?)

Somewhat related, I'm trying to narrow down between Epidemiology or Bioinformatics if I don't get in on my first application cycle. I think bioinformatics is super cool, but a lot of programs require extensive programming experience.

Archived