Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hate my essays and if it weren't for the fact that they are digital I'd symbolically burn them for the frustration they have caused me so far. I need to have my MUN ones done within the next couple of weeks. I'm a ridiculously critical writer when it comes to anything but my casual writing and I keep envisioning medical schools laughing as they throw my application in the trash. Blah.

So I got 98% on my Anatomy & Physiology midterm!

Congratulations! That's amazing. :)

98? Y U NO 100?! 

Jk, Good job!! 

haha being that close to 100 percent actually kind of annoyed me that I got 1 question wrong. But obviously I'm still happy. This is one of the best marks I've got on any test. My other bests include 97 percent on the socials 11 BC provincial exam and 100 percent on my in class history 12 final. So this is my 3rd highest mark in all of my schooling haha. i definitely don't usually do this well.

I hate my essays and if it weren't for the fact that they are digital I'd symbolically burn them for the frustration they have caused me so far. I need to have my MUN ones done within the next couple of weeks. I'm a ridiculously critical writer when it comes to anything but my casual writing and I keep envisioning medical schools laughing as they throw my application in the trash. Blah.

Congratulations! That's amazing. :)

I'm sure your essays will turn out great. You are a super competitive applicant and all the time spent on them will pay off. But i know what you mean. I've gotten very frustrated in the past when writing essays and it just ends up sounding disjointed so you have to keep editing. One thing that helps me is to leave the essay for an extended period of time (a couple days if you can) then comming back to it. I think because if you spend a while writing an essay, you already know what you want to convey in your head, so when your editing it, it may be hard to differentiate between what you are thinking in your head and what is actually written. so just take some time away from your essays, complete other parts of app if there are any, and just relax, and come back to it in a few days!

So for the 2012/2013 school year, my sister was in her first year of Pharmacy school at U of T. She got into the program after 2 years of undergrad. Around April, my grandmother passed away, about 2 weeks before my sister's exams. She failed one of the exams. The school said she can repeat the exam during the next school year and if she passes, she will be allowed to resume.

She passed the exam, but they then said she needs to interview with the comittee. Today she got a call saying her reason for not passing initially is insufficient, and she cannot be allowed to continue in the program.

Do you guys have any advice? She can petition, but basically she doesn't have enough time to re-enroll in an undergrad degree, she already missed all of last year. She said U of T probably won't change their mind after she files a petition. I feel terrible for her; she's my younger sister and I can't offer her any real advice.

How much time does everyone here allocate for lab write ups? I'm not sure if 2 hours would suffice, or if I should put it at 3 or what?

My chem lab writeups would take at least a couple hours. 2-3. But I think i am very slow. Assuming you knew the procedure well, before you did the lab and did some research, your writeup will be faster. I was awful at chem labs and absolutely hated them. I did them at UVIC and something about them I just never mastered. I got around 67% for my lab final mark in 1st year 1st semester chem. I'd be interested in hearing how other people do well in their labs exactly? I have a bit of a lab-phobia haha.

In other news, I just finished my second midterm for anatomy & physiology. What a relief. Now that is something much more enjoyable than chem labs haha.

Had a dream that I got accepted to UofT med because they had a glitch in their system and overlooked my 3.2cGPA. I was relieved and mortified at the same time because I was afraid that I would be the dumbest person in the class because everyone else has >3.8cGPA.

I have the same reoccruing dream where I am in my social studies 11 class again and it turns out it is like 3/4 of way through the semester and I have yet to start this big project I've been assigned. I think I may have been having this dream because I was slacking in my online courses.

Speaking of my online course I got 90% in my second midterm of anatomy & physiology. Makes my class average at 94%. I can't believe I was failing courses as little as 20 months ago.

For first year chem labs, I had an average about 99%, but it could be a school/TA thing. Our labs were pretty easy and if you knew how the TA marked and what they looked for it wasn't too bad. Where I am, Biology labs are the killer labs... Haha.

On another note... I was at the Queen's bookstore today and saw a whole bunch of incoming med students getting their labcoats... Was wondering if any of you were there. Haha.

For first year chem labs, I had an average about 99%, but it could be a school/TA thing. Our labs were pretty easy and if you knew how the TA marked and what they looked for it wasn't too bad. Where I am, Biology labs are the killer labs... Haha.

On another note... I was at the Queen's bookstore today and saw a whole bunch of incoming med students getting their labcoats... Was wondering if any of you were there. Haha.

Guilty.

how was everyone's first 2 days of school!? Exciting? Nervous? Boring?

Haha wish it had only been my first 2 days, we started last week at UofT. Definitely moments of excitement/nervousness/feeling of being overwhelmed by the amount of material. I'm sure it will get better after a few more weeks, when routine starts to set in.

Dammit. Family doctor has been working in the hospital (on leave from practice) since last fall. She has had several locums, covering about 1/3 of the time she's been gone. She was supposed to be back this week. I need med refills that I was waiting to discuss with her.

She resigned on Tuesday. Very professional. -_-

I am very, very annoyed. The revolving door of Island physicians continues to spin.

Dammit. Family doctor has been working in the hospital (on leave from practice) since last fall. She has had several locums, covering about 1/3 of the time she's been gone. She was supposed to be back this week. I need med refills that I was waiting to discuss with her.

She resigned on Tuesday. Very professional. -_-

I am very, very annoyed. The revolving door of Island physicians continues to spin.

Is there any reason why it is like this in the maritime provinces? I figured a vast majority of physicians in that region grew up and recieved a lot of their training in the region, making them more likely to stay.

My GP is a little inconsistent because he's older and only works a few days a week. It's annoying at times, but the clinic always has a replacement at a week's notice.

Is there any reason why it is like this in the maritime provinces? I figured a vast majority of physicians in that region grew up and recieved a lot of their training in the region, making them more likely to stay.

My GP is a little inconsistent because he's older and only works a few days a week. It's annoying at times, but the clinic always has a replacement at a week's notice.

I know here on PEI, doctors I've spoken to have expressed a great deal of frustration about HealthPEI's policies. They tend to fight paying for things, I've been told. The facilities here are rather out of date, access to resources is limited. Diagnostic imaging, for instance, will fight with a doctor over whether a patient gets certain imaging. It causes a lot of headaches for physicians. The more I hear from doctors about the system here, the more concerned I become about coming back here.

I know here on PEI, doctors I've spoken to have expressed a great deal of frustration about HealthPEI's policies. They tend to fight paying for things, I've been told. The facilities here are rather out of date, access to resources is limited. Diagnostic imaging, for instance, will fight with a doctor over whether a patient gets certain imaging. It causes a lot of headaches for physicians. The more I hear from doctors about the system here, the more concerned I become about coming back here.

That sounds rough. From my experience, getting diagnostic imaging done is a long wait in Ontario, I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have to fight to get it done, especially if it is for something serious. I get annoyed when I have to wait for 4-6 weeks to get an MRI on my knee; I cannot imagine being denied for something more serious because of government policies.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy crap I just applied to med school. I'm all nervous now, AFTER I submitted it, even though there's nothing I can do to change anything now.

My future is resting in the hands of people I don't know.

Isn't it scary? The one main thing I learnt from last cycle is how subjective the whole process is. The people reading your file and assigning scores, the people interviewing you... 

As they say, you got to be good to be lucky, and lucky to be good. ;) All the hard work will definitely pay off, Birdy. 

Holy crap I just applied to med school. I'm all nervous now, AFTER I submitted it, even though there's nothing I can do to change anything now.

My future is resting in the hands of people I don't know.

And now we play the waiting game

The waiting game really does suck, but hang in there! Best of luck to everyone :)

Archived