Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Any Psychiatrists around here want to shed some light on why Luis Suarez likes biting people?

He is a jerk (all joking, I don't think this has to exactly be described in pathological terms).

Annoying lack of him personally seeking a way to end it. There is all this news about how FIFA and the team should arrange counselling etc as if he is completely how of his own abilities to either alter his behaviour on his own or seek a means to do that independently.

Cannot believe he has never been red carded for this either. I mean come on :)

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought choline only helped in cases of low dietary intake, and that it was more for general brain and liver function... I couldn't find any studies of it purely on short-term memory in healthy adults. One of the most interesting was one that found adults whose mothers supplemented choline during gestation had greater choline intake needs, and would suffer the greatest spatial memory decline during times of adult dietary deficiency. This was an experiment with 70 rats:

DOI: 10.1016/j.brainres.2008.08.074 Spatial memory and hippocampal plasticity are differentially sensitive to the availability of choline in adulthood as a function of choline supply in utero

"One developmental mechanism for the enduring actions of prenatal choline availability on brain function is through an epigenetic process. Choline is the precursor to the methyl donor betaine and nutritional methyl status may influence the availability of methyl groups necessary for the methylation of CpG sites in DNA, and thus regulation of gene expression. For example, when pregnant rodents are fed a choline deficient diet, methylation of the CDKN3 gene promoter is decreased in fetal brain, which results in over expression of this gene, leading to decreased cell proliferation (Niculescu et al., 2004). Thus, a developmental change in gene promoter methylation by prenatal choline supplementation or deficiency could lead to the long-term alterations in hippocampal cell proliferation reported here. Epigenetic modifications of the brain can also continue to occur throughout life. For example, Pogribny and colleagues (2008) report that feeding a folate/methyl-deficient diet to adult rats resulted in global DNA and gene-specific hypermethylation and by an increase of methylation within unmethylated DNA domains. Thus, it seems possible that developmental and adult epigenetic mechanisms might interact to cause the patterns of change in hippocampal plasticity and cognitive function reported here after changes in fetal and adult choline availability."

When you apply for med, do they do a background, or criminal check or any of that?

Fairly certain they don't do it when you apply, but at every school I know of, everyone who accepts an offer of admission must submit a vulnerable sector police check before starting school in the fall. Since you will be spending so much time in hospitals it would be totally irresponsible of schools to not require background checks.

Fairly certain they don't do it when you apply, but at every school I know of, everyone who accepts an offer of admission must submit a vulnerable sector police check before starting school in the fall. Since you will be spending so much time in hospitals it would be totally irresponsible of schools to not require background checks.

exactly - no point asking 4000 people to do a background check and send it to every school they applied to when they can be much kinder and just ask the relatively fewer number to do it prior to the start of the school year. It is very rare people run into a problem with the check after all.

exactly - no point asking 4000 people to do a background check and send it to every school they applied to when they can be much kinder and just ask the relatively fewer number to do it prior to the start of the school year. It is very rare people run into a problem with the check after all.

Yeah, sorry, I worded that poorly, I meant upon admittance. That's what I was figuring, but it would just be a generic mental health/criminal background check would it not? I can't imagine someone working this hard would fall under either of those?

I can't imagine someone working this hard would fall under either of those?

You never know - there are many reasons why a "nice med applicant" may have some history with the police.

A scary thought, too - I have a friend whose name matched someone with a long past. He had to do a lot of legwork signing affidavits and meeting with the RCMP to clear his name.

You never know - there are many reasons why a "nice med applicant" may have some history with the police.

A scary thought, too - I have a friend whose name matched someone with a long past. He had to do a lot of legwork signing affidavits and meeting with the RCMP to clear his name.

I guess that's true... There was the Philip Markoff after all..

At least your friend was able to get it removed!

Hell, I have a history with social services. The case was closed as unfounded (and it was), but the documents exist and would probably show on some checks. Anyone can make a complaint/concern about someone which may show up in some records checks. I've had a vulnerable sector check done, just about a year ago, and I'm required to maintain a security clearance for my job which can involve protected information, so I know I check out clear, but it's surprisingly easy to have things in your past that do show up.

Hell, I have a history with social services. The case was closed as unfounded (and it was), but the documents exist and would probably show on some checks. Anyone can make a complaint/concern about someone which may show up in some records checks. I've had a vulnerable sector check done, just about a year ago, and I'm required to maintain a security clearance for my job which can involve protected information, so I know I check out clear, but it's surprisingly easy to have things in your past that do show up.

Yeah that's true. At least it was just a mishap and everything is ok!

The surprising things people say to you when you tell them you're going to go to med school:

1/ "Oh! You can do that here in town?" (I live in a city of 30,000 and more than 1000km from the next biggest city. No. You cannot. I have to leave).

2/ "So, I guess you start at the bottom and work your way up, right? Like you'll start out pushing carts in the hospital?"

3/ "That's really hard to get into..." (Really? Do tell me more! :P)

4/ "So you're going to be a nurse?"

I feel like there's one I'm missing.

I'm not complaining, it's just been interesting.

The surprising things people say to you when you tell them you're going to go to med school:

1/ "Oh! You can do that here in town?" (I live in a city of 30,000 and more than 1000km from the next biggest city. No. You cannot. I have to leave).

2/ "So, I guess you start at the bottom and work your way up, right? Like you'll start out pushing carts in the hospital?"

3/ "That's really hard to get into..." (Really? Do tell me more! :P)

I feel like there's one I'm missing.

I'm not complaining, it's just been interesting.

This is why I don't tell people haha. 2 and 3 are just great.

Guest mmhs12345

I need to stop eating so much.

I'm at a point where I don't stop eating when I am full, but I continue to eat for the flavor.

God I need to lose 30 ish lbs these 2-3 months.

Any suggestions or tips other than eating healthy (which is so hard for me)

Hmm, latent sexism? :P As a male, I've never heard those, and I think they would piss me off if I was female.

The 'worst' for me is family who are already asking me about every rash, chest pain, or cough that they have, as though I could magically give them a diagnosis with just a BSc under my belt. :rolleyes:

Hmm, latent sexism? :P As a male, I've never heard those, and I think they would piss me off if I was female.

The 'worst' for me is family who are already asking me about every rash, chest pain, or cough that they have, as though I could magically give them a diagnosis with just a BSc under my belt. :rolleyes:

The nurse thing is fine, I don't really care too much. I think I got over the latent sexism a while ago. Or maybe I just think it's because I'm an older applicant that I'm getting that nursing question. I hang out with a few nurses and they all have told me that I wouldn't enjoy nursing, so it's funny to get it from "laypeople" but have actual nurses tell me not to do it.

As for your "problem"- I've just taken to saying "Well, I'm afraid I can't advise you on that because I'm not a doctor" and then I laugh and everyone else laughs and we all have a good time. I have especially had fun saying it to my boyfriend's kids (they are teenagers). I teach first aid classes so I already got a lot of those sorts of questions from my students and others. I had one student ask me to take out his stitches during our lunch break!!! (No, I am not qualified to do that).

Gosh I have to go to bed. It's past midnight and still light out, so I had no idea what time it was. I have to be up early tomorrow morning. The midnight sun is a romantic-sounding thing, but in reality it can wreck havoc with your schedule.

The nurse thing is fine, I don't really care too much. I think I got over the latent sexism a while ago. Or maybe I just think it's because I'm an older applicant that I'm getting that nursing question. I hang out with a few nurses and they all have told me that I wouldn't enjoy nursing, so it's funny to get it from "laypeople" but have actual nurses tell me not to do it.

As for your "problem"- I've just taken to saying "Well, I'm afraid I can't advise you on that because I'm not a doctor" and then I laugh and everyone else laughs and we all have a good time. I have especially had fun saying it to my boyfriend's kids (they are teenagers). I teach first aid classes so I already got a lot of those sorts of questions from my students and others. I had one student ask me to take out his stitches during our lunch break!!! (No, I am not qualified to do that).

Gosh I have to go to bed. It's past midnight and still light out, so I had no idea what time it was. I have to be up early tomorrow morning. The midnight sun is a romantic-sounding thing, but in reality it can wreck havoc with your schedule.

When we lived on Haida Gwaii, my parents would put tin foil on the windows in the summertime so that we could sleep.

I get the nurse thing too. People ask my plans, I say I'm applying to med school, "To become a nurse?" I'm betting guys don't get that question.

One of my friends calls me Dr Kay regularly. I think it's cute but I have subtly made the point that I haven't yet even been accepted, let alone granted the degree.

When we lived on Haida Gwaii, my parents would put tin foil on the windows in the summertime so that we could sleep.

I get the nurse thing too. People ask my plans, I say I'm applying to med school, "To become a nurse?" I'm betting guys don't get that question.

One of my friends calls me Dr Kay regularly. I think it's cute but I have subtly made the point that I haven't yet even been accepted, let alone granted the degree.

no we generally don't and that is an issue - we do get the flip side when a guy decides to be a nurse (which is of course a pretty awesome job when you look at it). One male nurse I know is often called a janitor - cannot be a doctor in those clothes, cannot be a nurse so what is left?

Weird of course when just a bit over 50% of people going into medicine are women - probably will correct in our generation as we all get through. A lot of it is from the older generation when simply there were no female doctors.

what you may also get if you are an older applicant is actually people constantly thinking you are staff - including on some level the nursing staff despite them knowing better. Adds an interesting subtle twist to things.

Yeah, sorry, I worded that poorly, I meant upon admittance. That's what I was figuring, but it would just be a generic mental health/criminal background check would it not? I can't imagine someone working this hard would fall under either of those?

The Star did a series on this topic last month.

The main article can be found here: No charges, no trial, but presumed guilty

I think every police service might have a different way of doing things, so if anyone's worried something from their past might show up, it might be worth checking with the station to see what they look into.

no we generally don't and that is an issue - we do get the flip side when a guy decides to be a nurse (which is of course a pretty awesome job when you look at it). One male nurse I know is often called a janitor - cannot be a doctor in those clothes, cannot be a nurse so what is left?

My work is primarily dealing with nursing staff and I have been consistently surprised by how many male nurses we have. I think it is great! When I'm in hospital I usually prefer the male nurses since it seems to take a special kind of guy to put up with the crap they must go through. Nursing isn't a 'default' career for guys the same way it can be for women. I wish more guys would go into it.

Weird of course when just a bit over 50% of people going into medicine are women - probably will correct in our generation as we all get through. A lot of it is from the older generation when simply there were no female doctors.

what you may also get if you are an older applicant is actually people constantly thinking you are staff - including on some level the nursing staff despite them knowing better. Adds an interesting subtle twist to things.

That part will be very interesting, I think. At 28, I likely won't be the oldest in my class, but people tend to think me older than I am (which was awesome at 18, not so much now...) so it will be strange indeed. If I end up doing any training at a certain hospital in Toronto, though, my sister - an RN - will be sure to remind people that I'm a suitable target for scut work. She will not let an opportunity like that slide by...

The Star did a series on this topic last month.

The main article can be found here: No charges, no trial, but presumed guilty

I think every police service might have a different way of doing things, so if anyone's worried something from their past might show up, it might be worth checking with the station to see what they look into.

Oh yeah, this isn't for me. I realized after posting it that it would probably be construed that way haha.

The interesting thing about that, he was never found guilty, yet they still assumed that he was... That's actually so crappy.

Oh yeah, this isn't for me. I realized after posting it that it would probably be construed that way haha.

The interesting thing about that, he was never found guilty, yet they still assumed that he was... That's actually so crappy.

I actually first wrote that as "so if you're worried about something from your past showing up", but realized from your original wording that you probably weren't worried about it! Still good for everyone to know though!

Archived