Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Just found out one of my closest friends died this weekend. It strikes me hard since he was such a good man - the type like Mr. Rogers that knew/expected much of 'who you could be'. It stands in stark contrast to this, at times, frenzied and neurotic path we are on, and it reminds me of the need to shed light on the true value of our communities and the 'things' in our lives.

Right now I'm taking a breather and being reminded of how privileged we are; our clock runs too quickly and we miss much.

I'm sorry for your loss. Like you said, it shows how privileged some of us are.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i honestly do not know what i am doing with my life. i am just playing things by ear. i kept on trying to plan for the future, but tbh i do not know what the future has in store for me.

just living in the present #keepingitreal

Just remember that you control your future. What it has in store for you is really up to you to decide.

^many external forces shape the opportunities you get.

Interesting you should say that. External forces will definitely affect you, but in the end the way you cope with the situation will determine the outcome. Opportunities (no matter how small) will present themselves to you; it's up to you to capitalize on them.

But that's just my own opinion, I'm interested to know what everyone else thinks.

Interesting you should say that. External forces will definitely affect you, but in the end the way you cope with the situation will determine the outcome. Opportunities (no matter how small) will present themselves to you; it's up to you to capitalize on them.

But that's just my own opinion, I'm interested to know what everyone else thinks.

To a very large extent, we create our own destiny, which includes creating our own opportunities. And when one does come along, we need to recognize it as such and, as you say, capitalize on it.

I knew this one person who said luck is answering the door when opportunity knocks....or something along those lines.

dayrich your username seems like you are one of those ppl trying to sell something kind of like multi level marketing (pyramid scheme).

Right. The point of me saying that wasn't to prove you wrong, I just wanted to tell you that you're in more control of your life than you think. Once you put the power back on yourself rather than external events, life becomes much easier to bear :)

Hahaha, if only I was that imaginative. Dayrich stands for Richard Day.

Guest mmhs12345

Wow, my parents just told me of all their struggles to get to Canada, work here, and get to where they are now.

Such inspiration my parents are.

Most immigrants to Canada are heroes when we know their stories of survival and how much they have accomplished in Canada for their families. :)

On another topic, Quebec needs to make bike helmets mandatory to reduce the trauma caused to the riders due to falls. Those hospitalized not wearing helmets are in the ICU six times longer than otherwise. There are 500,000 more bike riders in the last 9 years.

Most immigrants to Canada are heroes when we know their stories of survival and how much they have accomplished in Canada for their families. :)

On another topic, Quebec needs to make bike helmets mandatory to reduce the trauma caused to the riders due to falls. Those hospitalized not wearing helmets are in the ICU six times longer than otherwise. There are 500,000 more bike riders in the last 9 years.

There have been quite a few studies done on provinces that enforce mandatory helmet wearing among it's citizens and there is NO reduction in head injuries. There was just a large study done on this exact subject by a BC neurosurgeon.

My source for my above statement is CBC Radio this morning where it is claimed that the stay in the hospital is significantly reduced for those wearing helmets.

You're ignoring other factors surrounding bike use. I agree with your stats and personally think that people should wear helmets, and that we should enforce it for under 18s, especially given our unsafe-for-bikes roads we have in most Canadian cites. However, adults are more likely to take short trips when helmet use is not enforced, so we are deriving public health benefits from less regulation. Drivers are also more cautious around non-helmet-users, possibly due to perceived 'non-professionalism' of those riders.

We should also be focusing on integrating cyclists safely into our streets as in other northern countries in europe (Germany, Denmark, Netherlands) using raised-curb separation of bike tracks, safer intersections, and an overall shift in culture towards promotion of cycling.

The Conservative government got caught with their pants down with respect to the foreign temporary work program. The Conservative party received for years complaints in particular with the fast food industry abuses, and they were playing politics.

The Conservative government got caught with their pants down with respect to the foreign temporary work program. The Conservative party received for years complaints in particular with the fast food industry abuses, and they were playing politics.

It's a really, really hot topic here. We have 12% unemployment (10% in a good year) but tons of businesses that use this program. When I was looking for work last year. I applied at several fast food places and farms, with a breadth of experience that made me a very suitable candidate, and wasn't even interviewed. The positions are now held by TFWs. The businesses complain no one applies. We have 20 job seekers for every position, so that's BS. People have been complaining about this for years and have essentially been ignored.

The Conservative government has been in utmost bad faith for many years on this issue. They have been catering to their financial contributors playing closed door politics at the expense of Canadians needing these jobs. It is a disgrace. :eek:

It's a really, really hot topic here. We have 12% unemployment (10% in a good year) but tons of businesses that use this program. When I was looking for work last year. I applied at several fast food places and farms, with a breadth of experience that made me a very suitable candidate, and wasn't even interviewed. The positions are now held by TFWs. The businesses complain no one applies. We have 20 job seekers for every position, so that's BS. People have been complaining about this for years and have essentially been ignored.

going to be interesting now with the rather abrupt turn around in policy. Dramatic swings in policy are never a good sign :)

going to be interesting now with the rather abrupt turn around in policy. Dramatic swings in policy are never a good sign :)

Yes, it will be interesting. Many businesses are now complaining they won't be able to staff properly. Hopefully these changes will effect some upward pressure on wages and some more consideration for employees. PEI has amongst the lowest (I believe it is actually the lowest) average earnings. Employers often make entirely unrealistic demands of applicants, such as 24/7 availability for shifts at a minimum wage job (IME, most MW workers have multiple jobs so this is not doable.) It is also exceedingly common for employers here to only give half the hours you are supposed to work. My husband had to keep himself available from 9am-6pm six days a week at his old job, but he typically only got 25-30 hours. Even 'full time' jobs often don't turn out to be actually full time.

It is intense frustrating for workers, particularly those with kids. Instead of offering even the tiniest flexibility, employers here will refuse to hire anyone who isn't available every day, all day, for $10/hr, with transportation out of the city. Then they complain they can't find workers who meet their unreasonable requirements and go hire TFWs and get a chunk of the wages subsidized. It works out really well for the business owners.

My husband and I are exceptionally fortunate to have the jobs we do. It's something we are thankful for every day, because it wasn't so long ago we were in the thick of all this nonsense ourselves.

Yes, it will be interesting. Many businesses are now complaining they won't be able to staff properly. Hopefully these changes will effect some upward pressure on wages and some more consideration for employees. PEI has amongst the lowest (I believe it is actually the lowest) average earnings. Employers often make entirely unrealistic demands of applicants, such as 24/7 availability for shifts at a minimum wage job (IME, most MW workers have multiple jobs so this is not doable.) It is also exceedingly common for employers here to only give half the hours you are supposed to work. My husband had to keep himself available from 9am-6pm six days a week at his old job, but he typically only got 25-30 hours. Even 'full time' jobs often don't turn out to be actually full time.

It is intense frustrating for workers, particularly those with kids. Instead of offering even the tiniest flexibility, employers here will refuse to hire anyone who isn't available every day, all day, for $10/hr, with transportation out of the city. Then they complain they can't find workers who meet their unreasonable requirements and go hire TFWs and get a chunk of the wages subsidized. It works out really well for the business owners.

My husband and I are exceptionally fortunate to have the jobs we do. It's something we are thankful for every day, because it wasn't so long ago we were in the thick of all this nonsense ourselves.

the flip side of all that in theory to pay more to the employees then you have to charge more to the customers. I mean I have no doubt the business owners were gouging the system so they can afford to pay more out their profits but really some are going use this as an excuse to bump things up as well and some really will have no choice either. It is going to take awhile for market forces to stabilize and some companies likely will fold, and some prices will rise. Not a bad thing but stark policy changes can really impact things wildly. Better of course not to make the mistake in the first place.

So I was working a 2-month contract and haven't been checking my Visa statements. Someone skimmed my number and charged over $3000 to it. Only $700 is within the last 30 days and is recoverable. Argh!

I think I'll not have a credit card anymore. It was a good idea when I was getting dividends and paying it off monthly, but now it doesn't really make sense as a financial tool anymore.

So I was working a 2-month contract and haven't been checking my Visa statements. Someone skimmed my number and charged over $3000 to it. Only $700 is within the last 30 days and is recoverable. Argh!

I think I'll not have a credit card anymore. It was a good idea when I was getting dividends and paying it off monthly, but now it doesn't really make sense as a financial tool anymore.

what the heck? You would think they would want to get to the bottom of that and deal with the fraud. Ouch!

Archived