Premed 101 Forums

What's On Your Mind?

Robin Hood

Semi serious question: How the heck do people get to the point that they enjoy running?

Full disclosure: I am not a fit person. Never have been. I spent more time unconscious in gym class or having broken fingers splinted than I did actually participating in gym. But, I've gotten into medical school and this has made my already self-conscious self even more self-conscious about being the only overweight person in class... So I decided to try couch to 5K because I have a spinal injury that cannot tolerate me being a competitive idiot in fitness bootcamp (and I am the competitive idiot who ignores their actual fitness level and winds up hurting themselves when I take group classes). Also, most of the people I know tell me that running is super fantastically awesome so why not see what all the fuss is about, right?

I have always hated running more than just about anything else and it turns out I still hate running... yet everyone keeps telling me about how awesome running is and how they do so much thinking while they're running and how running clears their head... all I think about while running is how unpleasant the experience of running is.

So... how do I go from "this activity is literally the most unpleasant thing I can imagine doing right now" to "running is the greatest thing". It must be possible because my entire life seemed to be filled with people who love to run.

Earlier this year I made some changes to my eating and lost about 20-25 pounds... But I've kind of levelled out so I'm hoping this spurs me further on my way to a healthier lifestyle.

Either go see a good physiotherapist or sports doctor (or visit a sports medicine Center) and get them to evaluate your body mechanics and then they will provide the proper intervention to correct your mechanics and optimize your performance which will make running more effortless for you which will make it more enjoyable. When you run everything should be smooth almost as if you are "gliding" along. As others have suggested there may be imbalances however rather than avoiding running and never doing that for the rest of your life, why not correct your mechanics so you can enjoy running as others do.

You could also correct your mechanics yourself although that may be much harder but you could google physics of running and running body mechanics and figure out what It means to have athletic body mechanics. The more athletic you are the more effortless it will be. Athletic just means doing things mechanically correct. Anyone can learn it although it gets tricky if you have had prior injuries which is why seeing a sports doctor or good physiotherapist is so important. That's what they are there for. Explain your situation to them and ask if they will evaluate your running mechanics for optimal performance. A sports medicine Center will most likely offer this service but not sure if all sports docs or physiotherwpists at standalone clinics will. however the good ones will do it for you. I only know of resources in BC such as Fortius sports medicine Center in Burnaby and a few practitioners I've dealt with who are excellent.

Buy an iPod or load music onto your phone and make a playlist. Buy headphones that don't fall out while exercising.

I stopped working out for a period of time and when I started running again I hated it and felt so slow and clunky. I went out and bought the best pair of Nike running shoes I could find and it actually helped me SO much as I felt so much lighter just from the shoes. I have the Nike frees and I would highly recommend them.

Start out with walking briskly for an hour a day and then slowly introduce running. PM me for a running program called the 10 percent rule which I got from a sports doctor which allows for a proper transition into athletic running.

Edit: a general tip that helps me is to think of the core and trunk as the point at which you generate your force and power. Ie abdomimen, spine, entire trunk, hips and hamstrings. Be cognizant of these body parts as you run or walk and use the center of the body to generate force and propel yourself forward while the limbs follow afterwards. Think of the energy transfer from the core and trunk out to the limbs. Don't use your arms too much either unless your going uphill. It should all be from the core and legs. That's wherre you generate your power.

Running with a friend is fun as well.

• Replies 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the info and advice on the fitness front! I've discovered you can get exercise bikes with laptop trays on them... this seems like a very clever way to get exercise to happen during work/studying. I'm going to look at investing in one :-)

I used to hate running and I decided to give it one last shot. I downloaded the couch to 5k app and it worked!! I had to do it over again a few times but I actually went from couch potato to running my first 5k last weekend. It was one of those colour run things and it was a lot of fun!!

Thanks for all the info and advice on the fitness front! I've discovered you can get exercise bikes with laptop trays on them... this seems like a very clever way to get exercise to happen during work/studying. I'm going to look at investing in one :-)

I actually have one of these. But I've had problems with mine as the seat was cutting off circulation to my midsection. I can change the seat but it's still a hassle finding the right seat.

For me, the way to keep myself motivated is to set goals and reward myself for a good run (jumping in the pool for a cold swim after a tough sweaty run in the summer is the best feeling ever).

I'm using the app called Map My Run currently, which measures the distance, speed and all that stuff for each run. I'm also challenging a friend of mine who's also using the app to see who runs the most distance per week. All of this is giving me motivation to go for a run.

Listen to your favourite hyped up music and feel like you're in a battle trying to come out victorious. The last few tough seconds of the run always feel like I'm about to conquer something, with dope music in the background.

Game of Thrones just tore my heart out and stomped on it. I'm not sure I can continue with this season of sadness :(  

I sat there frozen for at least 10 minutes after the episode ended. My bf was brought to tears.  I knew last week's episode was just way too happy.

Studying off EK for my MCAT in August. The experience has so far been lackluster. Atrocious figures, typos and grammar errors left, right and center. That is all

Haha I actually felt that this made the content more memorable. 

Kaplan.

ugh. no.

haha Kaplan made me more anxious with all their cutesy 'future doctor' references. Everytime it made me think 'but I'm not in yet-and if I fail this exam I might not be!" 

I wanted content, not a cheerleader :P

found out I'll be graduating from my second degree as the top student in my program! My first degree was obviously a train-wreck so this is very validating :) I'm planning to take myself out on a date tomorrow to celebrate--lunch and maybe a manicure lol

Amazing!!! That's an incredible accomplishment-and I'm sure will be an inspiration for other's here as well :)

I sat there frozen for at least 10 minutes after the episode ended. My bf was brought to tears.  I knew last week's episode was just way too happy.

I would love to know if that is actually what Mr. Martin's plan was all along for that character - if so I am even more impressed with his organizational skills, ha.

Amazing!!! That's an incredible accomplishment-and I'm sure will be an inspiration for other's here as well :)

Thanks so much!!! I really hope to post a success story on the non-trad forum some day. Though I'm starting to appreciate that completing a second degree with great marks and a path to a great career is a success on its own.

ugh. no.

haha Kaplan made me more anxious with all their cutesy 'future doctor' references. Everytime it made me think 'but I'm not in yet-and if I fail this exam I might not be!" 

I wanted content, not a cheerleader :P

I don't recall anything like that. Content was there. Overload, in fact. Did you use the 2015 set? If so, I thought it was excellent. 

WHATS ON MY MIND:

Had a f***ing dream last night that global warming eventually melted all the ice...sea levels rose and huge rush of water was coming towards my house...entire family was in the house...walked in the house to get them out, looked back, water broke the doors and walls down- THEN I WOKE UP and cursed my Natural Disaster class profs name

I don't recall anything like that. Content was there. Overload, in fact. Did you use the 2015 set? If so, I thought it was excellent. 

No, this was for the 2014 exam and I think the set was from 2012 or so. But it was surprisingly very annoying! 

Archived