Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums
Dr.Doc

Interview Selection 2018 Cycle

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, LeafsFan89 said:

Does anyone know how many people were interviewed this year. My day was Sunday, the 26 and there were four groups A-D with 12 students each. I was told by one of the med students there that the same number of student were at the morning time slot. This would be 96 students. If it was the same number on sat then this would be on 192 students in total for 108 seats 

Keep in mind that Dal interviews take place both at the Hali campus and the Saint John campus!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(sorry this is so late - I only just signed up for the forums)

 

Time stamp: Oct 19, 2017 at 1:14 PM

Result: Interview invite

wGPA: 3.97

MCAT: 519 (130/130/131/129)

EC's: very subpar... ~50 hrs volunteering in a clinical setting, some sports

Essay: Really happy with my essay

Year: Gap

IP/OOP: IP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I interviewed in Saint John on the Saturday and I think there was also the A-D track with 12 students. So approx. 96 students would have interviewed in Saint John in total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dr.Doc said:

I interviewed in Saint John on the Saturday and I think there was also the A-D track with 12 students. So approx. 96 students would have interviewed in Saint John in total.

I think there was a Sunday (morning and afternoon) is NB as well. I am thinking the total is around 380 for across both days and campuses. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Dr.Doc said:

I interviewed in Saint John on the Saturday and I think there was also the A-D track with 12 students. So approx. 96 students would have interviewed in Saint John in total.

 

1 hour ago, Dr.Doc said:

Just checked the "Your guide to the Dal Med Interview" and Saint John did not hold interviews on Sunday.

So 288 interviewees in total for 110 seats, meaning that ~38% of people who interviewed will get offers 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, VanillaUK said:

 

So 288 interviewees in total for 110 seats, meaning that ~38% of people who interviewed will get offers 

I was told that Dal typically interviews 50-60 OOP. So probably 228-238 IP interviewees for 102 IP seats. Brings the odds up a little! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dr_dreaming said:

I was told that Dal typically interviews 50-60 OOP. So probably 228-238 IP interviewees for 102 IP seats. Brings the odds up a little! :)

Ouu I didn't even think of that, excellent point! 

So approx. 8/55 or 15% of OOP interviewees get accepted, while approx. 102/233 or 44% of IP interviewees get accepted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of things to keep in mind:

OOP movement is insane, I don't remember the exact stat but it moves quite a bit!

If you are looking at IP pools, remember that most applicants also apply to memorial, so that gives us a little more seats!

One issue specific to Dal, is that the cut offs for Maritimers are very, very low. One could very well have a terrible file that no matter how stellar the interview, will be rejected (one of my constant nightmares)

Last year offers came out on March 13... so roughly 40 days! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, hartk48 said:

Couple of things to keep in mind:

OOP movement is insane, I don't remember the exact stat but it moves quite a bit!

If you are looking at IP pools, remember that most applicants also apply to memorial, so that gives us a little more seats!

One issue specific to Dal, is that the cut offs for Maritimers are very, very low. One could very well have a terrible file that no matter how stellar the interview, will be rejected (one of my constant nightmares)

Last year offers came out on March 13... so roughly 40 days! 

All very valid points! Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hartk48 said:

Couple of things to keep in mind:

OOP movement is insane, I don't remember the exact stat but it moves quite a bit!

If you are looking at IP pools, remember that most applicants also apply to memorial, so that gives us a little more seats!

One issue specific to Dal, is that the cut offs for Maritimers are very, very low. One could very well have a terrible file that no matter how stellar the interview, will be rejected (one of my constant nightmares)

Last year offers came out on March 13... so roughly 40 days! 

I’ve read here somewhere that the OOP list moves completely through some years. I’ve also heard that the New Brunswick wait list has moved completely through in the past as well.

Remember Dal breaks up IP into NS, NB and PEI, and applicants from each province only compete against applicants from that province for seats. So the total ratio of acceptance of IP accepted/interviewed is not the same for each province. I believe NS (probably more like ~30)  is lower than the ~44% and NB is higher. Not sure about PEI but probably lower as they only get 6 seats? And OOP is probably much higher than ~15%. And yeah Dal supposedly interviews all maritime applicants who meet the minimum gpa, MCAT and CASPer requirements so 288 total is interesting based off their historic  reported total maritime applications of ~400. Must be a lot of people applying with a blind MCAT score or lying about their grades on the application.

The implementation of the CASPer test is also interesting because statistically the bottom 10-15% of scores would be below 1.5sd of the mean so that would eliminate ~100 or more total applicants based on past admissions data and I wonder how many are maritime relative to OOP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Rahvin13 said:

I’ve read here somewhere that the OOP list moves completely through some years. I’ve also heard that the New Brunswick wait list has moved completely through in the past as well.

Remember Dal breaks up IP into NS, NB and PEI, and applicants from each province only compete against applicants from that province for seats. So the total ratio of acceptance of IP accepted/interviewed is not the same for each province. I believe NS (probably more like ~30)  is lower than the ~44% and NB is higher. Not sure about PEI but probably lower as they only get 6 seats? And OOP is probably much higher than ~15%. And yeah Dal supposedly interviews all maritime applicants who meet the minimum gpa, MCAT and CASPer requirements so 288 total is interesting based off their historic  reported total maritime applications of ~400. Must be a lot of people applying with a blind MCAT score or lying about their grades on the application.

The implementation of the CASPer test is also interesting because statistically the bottom 10-15% of scores would be below 1.5sd of the mean so that would eliminate ~100 or more total applicants based on past admissions data and I wonder how many are maritime relative to OOP. 

Would you mind sharing where these numbers are coming from. I know they are just your estimates but just wondering how you came to them? That would mean roughly 50% of NB abpplicants would be getting accepted. Just seems a little high 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also about 9 OOP students are accepted each year and they interview 50-60 students. So if they interview 55 that ends up being about 16%. The reason the New Brunswick list moves so much is likely because the same students who get into Dal have a higher probability of getting in Mun as well as they are the top students in their province. However due to tuition costs I imagine must would choose Mun, causing the list to move as much as it does.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Rahvin13 said:

I’ve read here somewhere that the OOP list moves completely through some years. I’ve also heard that the New Brunswick wait list has moved completely through in the past as well.

Remember Dal breaks up IP into NS, NB and PEI, and applicants from each province only compete against applicants from that province for seats. So the total ratio of acceptance of IP accepted/interviewed is not the same for each province. I believe NS (probably more like ~30)  is lower than the ~44% and NB is higher. Not sure about PEI but probably lower as they only get 6 seats? And OOP is probably much higher than ~15%. And yeah Dal supposedly interviews all maritime applicants who meet the minimum gpa, MCAT and CASPer requirements so 288 total is interesting based off their historic  reported total maritime applications of ~400. Must be a lot of people applying with a blind MCAT score or lying about their grades on the application.

The implementation of the CASPer test is also interesting because statistically the bottom 10-15% of scores would be below 1.5sd of the mean so that would eliminate ~100 or more total applicants based on past admissions data and I wonder how many are maritime relative to OOP. 

Absolutely true.

While I can’t comment on % , memorial does provide province specific stats.

For example, last year 85 applied from the NB pool to memorial. I would say Dal’s number of applicants isn’t too different, for 40 seats in total. Also some get accepted in Ontario.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LeafsFan89 said:

Would you mind sharing where these numbers are coming from. I know they are just your estimates but just wondering how you came to them? That would mean roughly 50% of NB abpplicants would be getting accepted. Just seems a little high 

The seat numbers come from the 2016 admission review paper on the Dal website, 63 for NS, 30 for NB and 6 for PEI and the total historical application numbers are either somewhere on the website and/or the afmc site. My estimates are based on those numbers, talking to people currently in Dal med, the seats/applications for PEI and NB at MUN, and the assumption that some maritime applicants interviewed at Dal will decline acceptance and go elsewhere. There are also a number of interviewed candidates who don't meet the minimum mmi score and/or supplemental score who would be disqualified. A lot of OOP interviewees get accepted at other schools they would rather attend, so your chances of getting in as OOP would definitely be higher than ~9/55.  

As for NB, if you say ~100 people from NB interview which I think is a fair estimate, 10 of those will almost certainly go to MUN, a few will go elsewhere in Canada, a few will not meet the mmi/supp cutoff and 30 will get into Dal, so that's pretty close to 50%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if 85  applied to Dal from NB and they interview 55 OOP that it’s 140. Leaving 148 of NS mainly and some PEI for the remaining 68 spots (46%). However that is if in deed there were 288 people interviewed. That number could be higher as I don’t think anyone really knows for sure how many are interviewed. Thank you for your guys’ input!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Rahvin13 said:

The seat numbers come from the 2016 admission review paper on the Dal website, 63 for NS, 30 for NB and 6 for PEI and the total historical application numbers are either somewhere on the website and/or the afmc site. My estimates are based on those numbers, talking to people currently in Dal med, the seats/applications for PEI and NB at MUN, and the assumption that some maritime applicants interviewed at Dal will decline acceptance and go elsewhere. There are also a number of interviewed candidates who don't meet the minimum mmi score and/or supplemental score who would be disqualified. A lot of OOP interviewees get accepted at other schools they would rather attend, so your chances of getting in as OOP would definitely be higher than ~9/55.  

As for NB, if you say ~100 people from NB interview which I think is a fair estimate, 10 of those will almost certainly go to MUN, a few will go elsewhere in Canada, a few will not meet the mmi/supp cutoff and 30 will get into Dal, so that's pretty close to 50%.

I see what you’re saying. Sorry I was just looking at raw number of applicants per spot, not really taking into consideration the people who will decline or will not meet the requirements on certain parts of the application. You for taking the time to lay it out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, LeafsFan89 said:

So if 85  applied to Dal from NB and they interview 55 OOP that it’s 140. Leaving 148 of NS mainly and some PEI for the remaining 68 spots (46%). However that is if in deed there were 288 people interviewed. That number could be higher as I don’t think anyone really knows for sure how many are interviewed. Thank you for your guys’ input!

Yeah really gives some perspective relative to Ontario schools. Mac gets what, like ~4000 apps for ~200 seats? Your overall chances of getting in to one of those are so so much lower compared to being IP for a school like Dal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This link goes to a PDF file from Dal Med and shows reports from all of the Assistant Deans.

The admissions info starts on page 28 of the PDF and I think you'll find it interesting. A table on page 29 shows that 275 folks were interviewed for the class of 2021 and breaks it down by pool.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, MTHFR677 said:

This link goes to a PDF file from Dal Med and shows reports from all of the Assistant Deans.

The admissions info starts on page 28 of the PDF and I think you'll find it interesting. A table on page 29 shows that 275 folks were interviewed for the class of 2021 and breaks it down by pool.

 

Wow this is exactly what I have been looking for. Thank you very much for this and for taking the time to find it and post it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×