Premed 101 Forums

How many McMaster Life Sci Kids Make it to Med School?

sam12

1 hour ago, gangliocytoma said:

not as many as Mac health sci, but a handful from the people I know. Your degree/program isn't going to decide where you end up but it can certainly help.

Agreed with the bolded. Schools that have a medical school on campus tend to have more resources (or easier access to resources) compared to those who don't. Not to say that there isn't resources at non-med school universities, but information gathering definitely requires a bit more effort by both the student and the career centre.

Many of my closest friends went to Mac life science and none of them are in medical school. However, I do know of people that got in. Look, sam, it doesn't matter how many people from Mac life sci get into med school because those people probably could have done it from anywhere, even U of T life science. 

23 hours ago, Aang said:

Many of my closest friends went to Mac life science and none of them are in medical school. However, I do know of people that got in. Look, sam, it doesn't matter how many people from Mac life sci get into med school because those people probably could have done it from anywhere, even U of T life science. 

I would agree with you for literally any program but that one :D

I know a boatload of Mac life sci graduates in a variety of professional programs (I do think the majority are in med though). the health sci kids have it easier (statistically) but i don't think anything about Mac should hold you back from being accepted.

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2018 at 1:19 AM, Aang said:

Hey Just out of curiosity what are your life science friends doing now since they didn't go to medical school?? TIA!

I did my undergrad in life sciences at the infamous UTSG and I can tell you that majority of my peers who did not make it to Medicine did not make it to other professional schools either after undergrad.

Almost half went on to pursue a MSc / PhD, after which only a select few have gained entry into professional schools.

I'm not a medical student yet, nor have I gone to McMaster for undergrad. But I work at a rural hospital site in northern BC and a few of the physicians here went through McMaster. One who I am closer with than the others had a very diverse background. He studied design (maybe industrial design?) for his undergrad, worked in industry for a number of years and at age 28 decided to apply to school.

From what I've learned, schools such as McMaster appreciate a more experienced life, and a holistic approach, with their unique application process.

On 1/3/2019 at 9:01 AM, Thesilentknight said:

I'm not a medical student yet, nor have I gone to McMaster for undergrad. But I work at a rural hospital site in northern BC and a few of the physicians here went through McMaster. One who I am closer with than the others had a very diverse background. He studied design (maybe industrial design?) for his undergrad, worked in industry for a number of years and at age 28 decided to apply to school.

From what I've learned, schools such as McMaster appreciate a more experienced life, and a holistic approach, with their unique application process.

-

The holistic thing, I think, is left over from a time when Mac actually looked at ECs. Like 10-15 years ago. I knew of a mac physician who was one of the most non trad applicants of all time. Guy was like a CEO of a major company who decided at like age 50 to go to medical school and got in, "based off his ECs". Not sure about his academics. These days, Mac puts a huge emphasis on GPA, CARS, with the only "holistic/EC" type metric being CASPER. (pre-interview at least)

All this being said, there are some super interesting "holistic" applicants who are in my class. So it's not like Mac is screening these people out, they just put a huge emphasis on GPA/MCAT.

On 1/3/2019 at 11:03 AM, John Galt MD said:

The holistic thing, I think, is left over from a time when Mac actually looked at ECs. Like 10-15 years ago. I knew of a mac physician who was one of the most non trad applicants of all time. Guy was like a CEO of a major company who decided at like age 50 to go to medical school and got in, "based off his ECs". Not sure about his academics. These days, Mac puts a huge emphasis on GPA, CARS, with the only "holistic/EC" type metric being CASPER. (pre-interview at least)

All this being said, there are some super interesting "holistic" applicants who are in my class. So it's not like Mac is screening these people out, they just put a huge emphasis on GPA/MCAT.

-

26 minutes ago, YesIcan55 said:

that couldn't be further from the truth...McMaster does not consider EC's/references/volunteering/employment etc in any part of their admission process...and they also consider every course you have ever taken for their GPA calculation with no weighting/drops...so they are anything but a holistic process that cares about anything other than academics lol 

Don't shoot the messenger. This was through a direct conversation from a physician who is 39 years old right now, and he was accepted roughly ten years ago.. so it is not that far off present time. Perhaps it is when you are into the interview process, and when the selected panel of mini interviews are being done, they get to see a side of you that is not just your marks. Alas. I suppose that is the purpose of all interview processes..

On 1/3/2019 at 12:44 PM, Thesilentknight said:

Don't shoot the messenger. This was through a direct conversation from a physician who is 39 years old right now, and he was accepted roughly ten years ago.. so it is not that far off present time. Perhaps it is when you are into the interview process, and when the selected panel of mini interviews are being done, they get to see a side of you that is not just your marks. Alas. I suppose that is the purpose of all interview processes..

-

On 1/3/2019 at 10:03 AM, John Galt MD said:

I appreciate viewpoints such as this, that demonstrates maturity and not merely a laughing stock at someone’s voice.

I don’t have an intention on applying to Mac, as I am beginning my first year studies, I certainly have time to digest the idea of schools across Canada. 

Again, thanks for the level headed response. 

Don't forget that it is still possible to transfer into Health Sci at Mac in 2nd year. If you go to life sci at mac do well and transfer into health sci in 2nd year, no one will know. 

If you are serious about med school and don't get into health sci at Mac, from what i've seen, your chances are broadly similar at all the schools except uoft life sci. 

On 1/3/2019 at 4:01 PM, YesIcan55 said:

lol talking to a 39-year-old doctor is in fact very far from the admission process...considering that schools literally change policies/selection standards every 1-2 years...McMaster is very upfront with what they look for when inviting those to interview/acceptance and saying they are holistic/non-trad friendly is the furthest thing from reality

Mac in particular is rather progressive - they change things all the time, and others seem to look at their results and perhaps adopt from them things they think works. I would agree there was in particular some radical changes in the past 10 years. When I was premed it was still in that very holistic phase of their evaluation system - I have to say that was rather more interesting times. 

They aren't non-trad - although you could argue that many non-trads don't have the same high GPA/MCAT scores relatively speaking - if for no other reason than their non-trad background is pulling time/resources away from laser beam focus on academics. There are only so many hours in the day - you probably aren't studying as much for CARS if you are running a company, climbing mountains and so on :) At least up to the preinterview stage of things. I suspect many non-trads with greater life experience may handle MMI stations overall better. 

Anecdotally, the two Mac Health Sci grads I know *personally* did not go to medical school, but rather physiotherapy and veterinary medicine. Obviously a lot of Mac Health Sci grads get into medicine (and choose health sci because that is their goal) but students in that program certainly don't universally make it into (or even desire) medicine.

Archived