Premed 101 Forums

Dalhousie Medical School to add 16 seats

I’ve read that 4 addition seats will be added for the upcoming year. Am I right in assuming that is for the 2019 entry in September? Or is that for the 2020 entry?  Also, those seats are “earmarked” for black and indigenous applicants. Does anyone know if that means they are only for applicants from those groups? If there are no black or indigenous applicants to fill those will they still fill those seats with other applicants?

On 8/9/2019 at 9:40 AM, andnowmywatchbegins said:

I’ve read that 4 addition seats will be added for the upcoming year. Am I right in assuming that is for the 2019 entry in September? Or is that for the 2020 entry?  Also, those seats are “earmarked” for black and indigenous applicants. Does anyone know if that means they are only for applicants from those groups? If there are no black or indigenous applicants to fill those will they still fill those seats with other applicants?

I don’t really understand that part of this because Dal has had an unlimited number of supernumerary seats for applicants under the African Nova Scotian and Indigenous streams for years. If applicants in those streams meet the minimum standards they are awarded seats above and beyond the normal 63 seats for N.S.

1 hour ago, Rahvin13 said:

I don’t really understand that part of this because Dal has had an unlimited number of supernumerary seats for applicants under the African Nova Scotian and Indigenous streams for years. If applicants in those streams meet the minimum standards they are awarded seats above and beyond the normal 63 seats for N.S.

Also interesting is that the affirmative action policy page is no longer active on the Dal website, so maybe they are changing their approach?

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 10.44.49 PM.png

19 hours ago, Falstaff said:

Also interesting is that the affirmative action policy page is no longer active on the Dal website, so maybe they are changing their approach?

Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 10.44.49 PM.png

Interesting. Perhaps they are changing it and including those spots under these new 16 seats. That would make sense as the news release says the seats are for “rural Nova Scotians and those from African and Indigenous communities.” So in reality these 16 new seats could be a rebranding of the affirmative action policy (because historically there has never been that many affirmative action applicants per year) and an addition of however many leftover seats for “rural” Nova Scotians. I would guess rural in this context will probably mean a permanent address outside of the HRM or NSHA central zone. Or maybe they’ll use something similar to the SWOMEN criteria at UWO. Who really knows.

20 hours ago, Rahvin13 said:

Huh interesting, I never knew that they had those seats as supernumerary ones. Perhaps you’re right and they just didn’t have enough uptake in this category but this is a way to try and increase people with rural backgrounds in the program. 

Side-note, phenomenal username, I’m re-reading the series before starting clerkship. 

13 hours ago, PulsusParadoxus said:

Huh interesting, I never knew that they had those seats as supernumerary ones. Perhaps you’re right and they just didn’t have enough uptake in this category but this is a way to try and increase people with rural backgrounds in the program. 

Side-note, phenomenal username, I’m re-reading the series before starting clerkship. 

Yeah I remember reading it somewhere in a document/publication from the school. 

And thanks haha, it’s definitely my favourite series. 

3 hours ago, medschool40&cool said:

I'm hoping that the policy-makers will have the long-term vision to also add 16 residency positions to match the additional med school seats... Otherwise CaRMS 2024 might see an increase in the amount of people unmatched. 

Yep, it's uncanny how differently you look at medical schools adding seats as an applicant vs an admitted student.

Thankfully my match will be done in 2023 (fingers crossed).