Premed 101 Forums

Virtual Interviews/ MMIs ?

youtalkintome?

Hi everyone, 

According to here, interviews will be held virtually this year. Does anyone have any information on this? seems really odd to me to do MMI online as it would hinder observational of nonverbal cues. Did anyone talk to adcom about this? I will be following up on them after this weekend, but just wanted to see what the community here thinks about this. I would be much more comfortable with the applicants (at least IP ones) being tested and MMI performed on-site for such an important position. 

Hey so yes they are virtual this year as are most med schools due to the pandemic. I don’t really have any more info but I know other schools have done them before and I doubt they’d change them to in-person even for IP as they want people to not travel or go on campus. They’ll still be able to see and hear you in a virtual mmi so those cues shouldn’t be missed. If anything it would be easier as you’d be less focused on them. But they haven’t really clarified about it yet and i assume they’ll let applicants know more when they send out invites. I spoke to an adcom before when I asked about interviews and all they said was it was definitely going to be virtual this year so hopefully when you ask they’ll say more!

McGill Med class of 2020 here.

I would be careful with pressing the adcom on this too much. I understand this is an important position, but there are people dying from COVID right now, and some members of the adcom are physicians who are very much on the frontlines of this pandemic on a daily basis. I don't think there's any chance they will take the risk to expose standardized patients, evaluators and candidates (that's a lot of people!) to the virus. Also keep in mind that the residents and attending involved in MMIs are very much needed in the hospital right now and can't afford to quarantine for two weeks in case they develop symptoms, just because one applicant was contagious at the time of the interviews.

It's easy to get caught up in the med school admission game, and I don't blame you for being worried. Keep in mind that everyone is in the same boat, and that if things don't work this year with the virtual format, there's always next!

Best of luck!

As per the situation right now, in-person MMI are out of the game for sure (and getting every applicant tested before would be unrealistic). Just to give you an idea, 2nd years are usually supposed to have a physical exam OSCE at the beginning of december and it got cancelled. Considering that MMIs are in the same style and that it involves so much more people and contacts, it's most certainly going to be online. Even if not ideal, I'm still confident that evaluators can decently catch some of the non-verbal cues and important "stuff" even in online format :) 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, venge said:

https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/prospective/selection-process/multiple-mini-interviews

I heard it was virtual but now it seems to have changed to in-person. Can someone direct me to the proper page please

If you look at the Key Dates page it still says "*(Interviews in February will be held virtually)". Presumably they'd update that first. The page you posted seems to be just a general page that details the process during more normal circumstances. With Montreal probably about to enter another lockdown, it would be bizarre for them to change to in-person interviews in February.

11 hours ago, veromedico said:

To those who have already applied, do you think by now the adcoms have already made decisions regarding which applicants are getting interview? ( i.e. do you know if by now all applicants have got their pre-interview score ranking) ? 

I am not sure how to check, but can if you know the steps to do so. My personal opinion is that they are in the thick of it now, as holidays just ended. 

• 2 weeks later...