Premed 101 Forums

professional reference question

Hey all,

I am currently in a lab doing some volunteer research and I have two options for the professional reference. I can either use my lab supervisor (a PhD student in the lab) or my PI as my reference. my PI knows me but not as well as my lab supervisor as we see each other everyday and are much closer than I am with my PI, which would be the better option in this case? Will UBC even accept a letter from a graduate student? 

Thanks!

UBC will be happy to accept a letter from a graduate student, as will any medical school in Canada really. The point of these letters is that the person who is writing it is supposed to someone who knows you the best, not someone who has a flashy title or renowned name. I had 2 of my reference letters written by graduate students, and only one from a prof (although I never applied to UBC I guess).

That said, it's pretty standard practice for these sorts of things that your direct supervisors (in this case, the PhD student) will write the letter and it will be signed and submitted by the PI/Professor. Many of my friends did it this way and they were fine as well.

I was in a similar situation, but it was my academic reference. Basically, both my PI and PhD student collaborated to write the letter. It was mostly written by my PI so he noted that the letter was done "with the input of the PhD student"

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2021 at 1:52 PM, Fast_Layne said:

I was in a similar situation, but it was my academic reference. Basically, both my PI and PhD student collaborated to write the letter. It was mostly written by my PI so he noted that the letter was done "with the input of the PhD student"

Here is my situation. May be you can shed some light on it. I keep thinking or may overthinking about my academic reference. I had to approach 2nd referee in a hurry when only  3 days were left. I was concerned that my first referee may not be able to submit reference in time as I was getting slow response despite reminders. He was pleased to give me a reference as I had taken two courses with him securing over 98% in both and had a close interaction with him during the courses. But may be due to personal issues or may be health issues, he was not responding  quick enough although he sent email saying he is going to do it. I kept my 2nd (back up referee ) updated on the situation. When only one day was left I had to ask my 2nd referee to go ahead and he submitted first and just in time. I took only one course with the 2nd referee and had scored 98% and although, he knew me reasonably well but not as well as the first one. I keep thinking what if he has mentioned " unable to judge " on a couple of items. What if he did not enough time to write much about me?How does that impact evaluation? My overall OGPA is 91.5% and transcript shows all courses and scores. I believe my other two references(professional and service) are good and will reflect on my other qualities and skills in detail. I cant help it but keep thinking about it.

On 3/6/2021 at 12:26 PM, rainy said:

I cant help it but keep thinking about it.

Hey you know what, it sounds like you made a really reasonable decision!! It's way better to have a referee than to not have one at all. It's going to be so hard, but try not to ruminate on it!! You've done the best you can, and whatever happens with your references, it is not a reflection on something you did right/wrong: this part was out of your hands, and you made the BEST decision you could have made, given the circumstances!