Premed 101 Forums

How does one study for the LMCC?

3 hours ago, CaRMS2021 said:

Resources; Schedules; etc is much appreciated; Danke 

I continued studying after our final clerkship exam and wrote the MCCQE1 6 weeks later.  I used mostly Online Med Ed to study (supplementing topics I felt weaker in), and reviewed Canadian screening/treatment guidelines for the common things (e.g., diabetes, HTN, cervical cancer, etc.).

I also purchased a few of the MCC practice exams, which I found helpful to familiarize with the CDM format.

1 hour ago, RepresentativeSalad said:

I continued studying after our final clerkship exam and wrote the MCCQE1 6 weeks later.  I used mostly Online Med Ed to study (supplementing topics I felt weaker in), and reviewed Canadian screening/treatment guidelines for the common things (e.g., diabetes, HTN, cervical cancer, etc.).

I also purchased a few of the MCC practice exams, which I found helpful to familiarize with the CDM format.

So you wrote it the summer between M3 and M4?

Are there any downsides to doing this and failing (aside from the cost of the exam, which I understand is quite a bit)?

13 hours ago, Redpill said:

So you wrote it the summer between M3 and M4?

Are there any downsides to doing this and failing (aside from the cost of the exam, which I understand is quite a bit)?

We don't have a "summer" between M3 and M4 at my school, we just go straight through those two years.  I wrote during the first elective block in the fall of M4!

I don't think there's any downside to doing this.  If you fail, it gives you another opportunity to write in the spring and still have it done before starting residency so you're not trying to juggle studying and residency after July 1st!  

The one downside to writing in M3/M4 year is the scheduling aspect. A number of my classmates wrote during this same time frame, and just booked weekend exam slots, or used a week of vacation time during electives to accommodate a weekday exam.  

I was just looking at the pass rate for CMGs and it seems like those who write in the spring presumably after med4 tend to pass more than those who write in the fall. Check this out! I realize the sample size who wrote in fall is REALLY small though. But also check out the second time writers. Anyway we were told by our school to wait until we’re finished and actually have dedicated time to study which is what I’m doing now  

2D3EAB8B-AF78-4153-86AA-06F92DE6988A.jpeg

I wrote the LMCC back in Jan 2021. 

I took notes on obs, peds, ethics/public health, and psych from Toronto Notes, First Aid, and online med ed. I only read through this document to study for these sections. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AYmy0vbNcuxXM3ZT1APTNIPKj81f8fgI/view?usp=sharing

For IM and surg, I read Petsana's and did a few questions on Canada Q Bank (which was not the best tbh). 

Also did a few practice exams. They were the highest yield, but pretty expensive. 

I studied 3 hours a day for 3 weeks, which was overkill. Two weeks would have been sufficient.

Good luck everyone! 

M2 here, thinking about taking the MCCQE p1 after M3, like some of you here have done. I have fully embraced the pre-clerkship P/F life and would personally be happy with just the P for this exam, but I'm wondering if there are any consequences to this if taken after M3 (i.e. before CARMS). Is your score included on residency applications if you've already taken the exam?

2 hours ago, bk2skl said:

M2 here, thinking about taking the MCCQE p1 after M3, like some of you here have done. I have fully embraced the pre-clerkship P/F life and would personally be happy with just the P for this exam, but I'm wondering if there are any consequences to this if taken after M3 (i.e. before CARMS). Is your score included on residency applications if you've already taken the exam?

Some people choose to include their score. I don't think this is necessary and really would only help your application if you did particularly well and are applying to a competitive specialty. Otherwise no one knows your score or really cares about it.

these are also very high yield for ethics: https://www.cmpa-acpm.ca/en/education-events/elearning 

In my practice MCC banks some of the examples are verbatim these scenarios just with diff questions. we have to do them to graduate but they're really useful for the exam! goes through all the ethics. 

43 minutes ago, indefatigable said:

the ethics section looks like gold - I wish I had known about it.  Way higher yield than a lot US Step 2 CK material.    

honestly we got lucky since we have to do it to graduate (only 2 of the modules) but i was not going to do them until after my exam. a friend of mine was like "oh i was going to do them anyway before LMCC because they seem helpful" and going through them now its legit golddd. so def recommend going through them its like 2 hours for all the modules anyway and even the questions at the end are similar to MCC questions!

• 1 month later...

US Grad here. I made a youtube vid about studying for MCCQE1. It’s been 7 years since I took my last USMLE so it was kinda interesting to study this again. 
Keep in mind I only needed to pass. I got 267 with 4 weeks of studying. So if you need to score higher, do more studying than what I did. 

https://youtu.be/rWNlSfhFH_U