Premed 101 Forums

Vanderbilt University's MIDP (an MD program) require candidates to have PhD prior to applying. I do not have a PhD. However, I have 4 years of research experience? Should I request them to exempt me based on my previous experience?

Neel

Hi everyone,

I am an Indian national and wish to apply to the Medical Innovators Development Program (MIDP) at Vanderbilt University (Medical Innovators Development Program | Vanderbilt University). The program is of interest to me as it has an "innovation-centered MD curriculum" and is fully-funded.

As per the eligibility criteria, applicants should have a PhD degree. But, at present, I do not have a PhD.  However, I do have a research experience of around 4 years.

My questions are: 

1. Should I appeal to the university to exempt me from producing a PhD degree on grounds of my previous research work? If yes, how should I approach (I mean should I write an essay justifying my case etc.)?

2. Other than Vanderbilt University, are there any other universities that offer such programs?

3. At present, I do not have an MCAT score. What other options do I have if I'm unable to appear for the MCAT this year? Are there any universities (including outside of US) that have alternative routes?

I would be grateful to you for your inputs.

Thank you.

You might have more luck at studentdoctor.net, they probably have a Vanderbilt specific forum, nobody on these Canadian forums is gonna know anything. I doubt that if phd is a requirement their gonna wave it for research experience, it's not the same thing! No idea about other specific programs for phd students in the US, there are not any in Canada as far as I know, but you don't have a phd so I wouldn't worry about it! I am also not aware of any US schools that do not require the MCAT, you could look in the MSAR I guess. There are a few in Canada that do not require an MCAT.

Never put private information on the internet. Delete your CV and your name from here.

As for your questions, no one here will have any idea about that particular program at Vandy. If you have questions, contact them directly. Much better than hearsay and speculation on a Canadian centric forum like this. As a general rule of thumb, American schools put a much greater emphasis on standardized scores than Canada. I doubt that Vandy, which along with WashU is the biggest stat lover, would not require the MCAT, but I have no actual idea about that program.

Also MD/PhD funding in the US comes from the NIH and has explicit citizenship/residency requirements. Most non US citizens/Permanent residents have no shot at many of the NIH funded fellowships, grants, and programs. This includes MD/PhD.

Getting into Medical School in Canada as a non Canadian/Permanent Resident is practically impossible. While it is possible to get into America schools as a non American(or greencard holder) it is very difficult. Your undergrad needs to be from Canada or the US, you need certain prereqs, and your stats need to be better than American applicants. Even if you get in, American schools will need evidence that you can pay the 240,000 USD tuition before they let you enrol. There are very few loans or financial aid available for non Americans.

IMO, you have a much better shot of studying medicine in India, then moving to the US for clinical research, and then doing your residency in the US on an H1B or J1 visa. 25 percent of practising physicians in the US are international medical graduates(IMG). The US is much friendlier to IMGs than Canada is.

1 minute ago, AB27 said:

RIP LinkedIn users

LMAO, you're right. I am overreacting.

I blame the paranoia about being identified on adcoms and program directors. I'm still scared about those MMI confidentiality agreements I signed. I have nightmares about being waterboarded in a Siberian Gulag for telling my dog one of my MMI questions.

Dear Neelanchal,

As per Vanderbilt University's International Students webpage, I would like to hereby quote "The university or universities that you have attended must be fully accredited. In most cases, students who have attended universities exclusively outside the United States have chosen to supplement their studies with at least one year of course work at an accredited university in the United States. If you have taken your coursework at an international university where English is not the language of instruction, your application may benefit from taking additional science courses at an English-speaking university."

Hence it would be most advantageous for you to first study additional sciences course at a university within the United States of America. Beware that there are many unaccredited, for profit universities in America, so utmost discernment is required when undertaking such endeavors.

15 hours ago, bearded frog said:

You might have more luck at studentdoctor.net, they probably have a Vanderbilt specific forum, nobody on these Canadian forums is gonna know anything. I doubt that if phd is a requirement their gonna wave it for research experience, it's not the same thing! No idea about other specific programs for phd students in the US, there are not any in Canada as far as I know, but you don't have a phd so I wouldn't worry about it! I am also not aware of any US schools that do not require the MCAT, you could look in the MSAR I guess. There are a few in Canada that do not require an MCAT.

Thank you! I will look into the suggestions you've made.

11 hours ago, zoxy said:

Never put private information on the internet. Delete your CV and your name from here.

As for your questions, no one here will have any idea about that particular program at Vandy. If you have questions, contact them directly. Much better than hearsay and speculation on a Canadian centric forum like this. As a general rule of thumb, American schools put a much greater emphasis on standardized scores than Canada. I doubt that Vandy, which along with WashU is the biggest stat lover, would not require the MCAT, but I have no actual idea about that program.

Also MD/PhD funding in the US comes from the NIH and has explicit citizenship/residency requirements. Most non US citizens/Permanent residents have no shot at many of the NIH funded fellowships, grants, and programs. This includes MD/PhD.

Getting into Medical School in Canada as a non Canadian/Permanent Resident is practically impossible. While it is possible to get into America schools as a non American(or greencard holder) it is very difficult. Your undergrad needs to be from Canada or the US, you need certain prereqs, and your stats need to be better than American applicants. Even if you get in, American schools will need evidence that you can pay the 240,000 USD tuition before they let you enrol. There are very few loans or financial aid available for non Americans.

IMO, you have a much better shot of studying medicine in India, then moving to the US for clinical research, and then doing your residency in the US on an H1B or J1 visa. 25 percent of practising physicians in the US are international medical graduates(IMG). The US is much friendlier to IMGs than Canada is.

Thank you!

I have removed my personal information. I understand this to be a Canadian centric forum. I would contact the program administrators as you've suggested instead. 

Being an international student, I understand my options are limited and would therefore try to explore the ones available (including the ones in my country). 

10 hours ago, shikimate said:

Dear Neelanchal,

As per Vanderbilt University's International Students webpage, I would like to hereby quote "The university or universities that you have attended must be fully accredited. In most cases, students who have attended universities exclusively outside the United States have chosen to supplement their studies with at least one year of course work at an accredited university in the United States. If you have taken your coursework at an international university where English is not the language of instruction, your application may benefit from taking additional science courses at an English-speaking university."

Hence it would be most advantageous for you to first study additional sciences course at a university within the United States of America. Beware that there are many unaccredited, for profit universities in America, so utmost discernment is required when undertaking such endeavors.

Thank you!

I will look into the options you have suggested and will be careful in choosing the university, in case I happen to pursue any additional sciences course.