Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

If I accept my offer for UofT OT before the May 29th deadline, am I still able to decline later on ex: towards September? When do acceptances become firm? With that said, am I able to hold my spot until closer to the start of the semester before making a final decision? Im currently in a different program this summer and seeing if I like it before I decide to pursue OT or not. 

18 minutes ago, OT202230 said:

If I accept my offer for UofT OT before the May 29th deadline, am I still able to decline later on ex: towards September? When do acceptances become firm? With that said, am I able to hold my spot until closer to the start of the semester before making a final decision? Im currently in a different program this summer and seeing if I like it before I decide to pursue OT or not. 

You'll need to pay the deposit fee, but I'm fairly certain you can decline it at any point - you'll just lose the deposit fee money. The acceptances become firm June 7

5 hours ago, Queens2021 said:

For those who are deciding on McMaster for OT, can I ask why you chose Mac over other schools? I'm leaning toward going to Mac, but I would love to hear others' perspectives!

I accepted my offer at Mac for OT  :) I wasn’t accepted into the other programs I  applied to but McMaster was my first choice so it works out! I’m pretty lucky as my mum is a retired OT and she’s had lots of experience with new OT grads from various programs in Canada. She always said how impressed she was with the McMaster students (great critical thinkers, competent in their skills as a new OT entering the field etc). Not to mention all her colleagues who were Mac grads had wonderful things to say about the program. Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, OtPt_2022 said:

I accepted my offer at Mac for OT  :) I wasn’t accepted into the other programs I  applied to but McMaster was my first choice so it works out! I’m pretty lucky as my mum is a retired OT and she’s had lots of experience with new OT grads from various programs in Canada. She always said how impressed she was with the McMaster students (great critical thinkers, competent in their skills as a new OT entering the field etc). Not to mention all her colleagues who were Mac grads had wonderful things to say about the program. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much, this is super helpful! Congrats on your acceptance! :)

On 5/23/2022 at 2:18 AM, OTtrying said:

Hi! Does anyone have additional information about OT at the U of T? How is it overall in terms of quality of education and student life? Particularly for Mississauga? Anything helps! 

Hi, 

I'm currently a first year OT at U of T. I was placed at the Mississauga campus last summer off of the waitlist mid July. Is there anything in particular you would like to know? The quality of education is exactly the same as the UTSG campus - if not better. There is no advantage being on one campus over the other (rent is cheaper in Mississauga though so that's a plus). Our class size is smaller so you get to know the other students and professors on a deeper level. 

On 5/23/2022 at 9:04 PM, otWOW said:

Curious as to why you think the whole application process or the process of getting accepted was random?

I just think it's wierd reading through this forum to see where people were accepted or waitlisted or rejected. It's not so much about the individual process being random because it takes a lot of work and experience to apply (i'm not discounting that at all) but just that some people are rejected at the same places that people get accepted that have similar stats/experience, so the process and each uni seems to take very different things into account. To me that seems random (if there's no universal way of doing it among the universities). 

14 minutes ago, OT4567 said:

Hi, did they say that they haven't started the process yet or that there hasn't been anyone who dropped yet?

This is what they said to me, I just asked what the movement this cycle was like

”We have not had any waitlist movement yet. 

OT Admissions”

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows if we have access to the waitlist numbers for McMaster. Please help :)

Applied (OT): Toronto, McMaster, Western

Accepted: Toronto (sauga campus)

Waitlisted: McMaster

Rejected: Western

S-GPA 3.9+

Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references:

My essays were very well written. I think the following things helped my applications: 14 yrs childcare experience, OT shadowing, and 1+ yr clinic experience. Also, I received exemplary references from a health care professional and clinic manager. Lastly, I was ridiculously nervous during my McMaster MMIs, which did not help. 

59 minutes ago, OT4567 said:

Hi, did they say that they haven't started the process yet or that there hasn't been anyone who dropped yet?

I inquired this morning and they said they haven’t sent out the second round of acceptances yet. I’m assuming there will be some movement soon! 

Does anyone have any idea 1) how big Westerns OT waitlist is, and 2) typical movement they see? They didn’t say the size on the email and someone here said Westerns PT waitlist was like 200 people.. so seeing if anyone else knows more so I can decide if I need to accept defeat lol