Premed 101 Forums

This is the application year to see whether GPA inflation is a real thing

Depair

16 minutes ago, Rob_Ford MD said:

Get ready for some crazy inflation. I know for a fact it'll be really bad because of how poorly many institutions, especially the one I go to, handled things (allowing students to pass/fail their lowest grades after receiving their final grades, unproctored exams, no changes made to the exam...). Averages were also super super high for most classes...

Ya same with mines. I took the average of my class averages and it was a 3.3 which higher than the usual 2.7-3.0. I wont be suprised if the average matriculant GPA goes up by 0.1

Edited by Depair

I used to care about the scary GPA inflation a lot more (ex. earlier in 2021 and a bit into the summer), but now that I have all applications submitted, I simply don't really care. You know?

Of course everyone has their own worldview, but I kind of just think, if I'm going to get in then I'm going to get in, and grade inflation isn't going to be the thing that stops me. Also, there is solace in knowing we literally cannot change the grade inflation. It's not our fault, so we should just accept it.

The things we should dwell over should be how to make ourselves more well-rounded, experienced, mature, and "better" human beings (and, naturally, we will become stronger applicants as a result, but that's just a side bonus).

That's my $0.02 having gone through (and got past) the mental worry of grade inflation affecting my chances of becoming an MD. And, indeed, having buried the "neurotic premed" part of my thoughts/personality, the part that just worries without looking at the positives, without focusing on strengths, without having unwavering confidence, etc.

As pessimistic as this is going to sound, grade inflation (if it does in fact occur) will certainly have repercussions. The process is just too competitive and saturated for it to not matter. Significant inflation would almost certainly result in some people not getting interview invites that otherwise would have. I wish this wasn't the case, but I can't see it not having an impact

13 minutes ago, garceyues said:

As pessimistic as this is going to sound, grade inflation (if it does in fact occur) will certainly have repercussions. The process is just too competitive and saturated for it to not matter. Significant inflation would almost certainly result in some people not getting interview invites that otherwise would have. I wish this wasn't the case, but I can't see it not having an impact

Ya I literally cannot see it not having an effect. I don't know what schools will do now tbh. Maybe increase the weight of the MCAT and ECs to create a larger barrier of entry. If I can't get in this year with matriculant averages basically at 4.0s. Canada may not be an option lol.

If there is not a strong effect this year I wont be surprised if the GPA average starts increasing with each year of online schooling.

51 minutes ago, garceyues said:

Oh most certainly. I don't think anyone can deny that. It will definitely result in people who would've got interviews 5 years ago not getting them now. What can we do about that though, yanno?

What I was trying to express is that I kind of have a Type B approach to medicine - it would be nice to do, and I'm certainly confident in myself to get into + thrive in medical school, but there are things in my life that will forever be more important to me. So that's why I'm kind of indifferent to if there is crazy GPA inflation.

Medicine is a job, an amazing one and a privilege yes, but a job nonetheless