Premed 101 Forums

What happens if a resident fails their royal college exams repeatedly?

46 minutes ago, jb24 said:

My neurosis is in full effect, but curious does this happen? If so, what the heck do you do after 9+ years of training and cannot pass? It's one of my biggest fears brought on by consistent imposter syndrome...I probably should talk to a counselor.

That's a mood right there. 

If that happens, you cry your life away? I think if you've managed to make it that far the chances of that happening are close to 0. Put that thought back into the box it came from and lock away the key :lol: 

1 hour ago, jb24 said:

My neurosis is in full effect, but curious does this happen? If so, what the heck do you do after 9+ years of training and cannot pass? It's one of my biggest fears brought on by consistent imposter syndrome...I probably should talk to a counselor.

After a certain number of failures, you may have to go back to residency for a few months (and supply the college with a study plan) before being allowed another attempt. I'm no authority on this topic though. I just heard this anecdotally.

1 hour ago, Intrepid86 said:

After a certain number of failures, you may have to go back to residency for a few months (and supply the college with a study plan) before being allowed another attempt. I'm no authority on this topic though. I just heard this anecdotally.

I have seen this happen (to a foreign-trained staff) where I did my training. I do not know if there is a hard limit.

There is a hard limit. I believe it is 3 attempts (not 100% certain). After which I believe you have to do another residency (again not 100% certain).

I did some digging and all I could find is this for CBD model:

"A candidate whose eligibility for the examinations leading to Royal College certification has expired after three (3) years through failure on the examinations or through failure to appear at the examinations may apply up to two (2) times for one additional year of eligibility for the examination, resulting in a maximum of five (5) years of eligibility"

https://www.royalcollege.ca/rcsite/documents/credential-exams/policy-procedure-certification-fellowship-e.pdf

https://www.royalcollege.ca/rcsite/documents/credential-exams/cbd-certification-policy-e.pdf

Yes I know people who have failed once, twice and even thrice. It's not a good place to be. And these people are CMG who have no problem with language issues.

and most important, I always advocate you write the American Board, British board, or at least 1 other whatever board you can. Even if you have no intention of ever leaving Canada, it provides you with an additional layer of assurance/hedge should something unexpected and catastrophic happens.

and also remember, for USA you do not need to be board certified to be licensed to practice. Hence I also advocate people get a US license from a cheap state and keep it at least for the first few years of their practice, again as assurance/hedge.