Premed 101 Forums

Writing the licensing exam at the end of third year in a four year program

Hello everyone! 

I was wondering if anyone on here wrote their licensing exam (MCQE1) at the end of their 3rd year of med school instead of the usual 4th? In my mind it makes a lot more sense because knowledge from all the rotations is still fresh instead of trying to go back to it after you've somewhat specialized in fourth year. What was your experience going down that route? Would you recommend against it?

8 hours ago, Kitara said:

Hello everyone! 

I was wondering if anyone on here wrote their licensing exam at the end of their 3rd year instead of the usual 4th? In my mind it makes a lot more sense because knowledge from all the rotations is still fresh instead of trying to go back to it after you've somewhat specialized in fourth year. What was your experience going down that route? Would you recommend against it?

There is that option available (at least at my school), but no one took up the offer, just because it'd be a pain to study for and book time off for it during clerkship and my school offers a few free weeks to study for it anyways. It's my understanding that it doesn't require intensive study, just some reasonable content review for a couple of weeks post CaRMS.

Thank you all for your insight! One of the other reasons i wanted to write it early was because you get a longer break at the end of fourth year which I would really appreciate, so I was wondering if you all felt like you had a good grasp of the content covered after the third year?

11 minutes ago, Kitara said:

Thank you all for your insight! One of the other reasons i wanted to write it early was because you get a longer break at the end of fourth year which I would really appreciate, so I was wondering if you all felt like you had a good grasp of the content covered after the third year?

You could also write it shortly after match day if you want, just study a bit during interview period and then in that weird pause between match day and some classes. Don’t have to do it in May 

As someone who wrote it beginning of fourth year I say go for it. I got it out of the way before electives started but within the 1 year time period (which is all that matters). Your admin will probably approve it. Also a super easy exam and not difficult to study for at all. Now I'm free to travel for a bit after my last interview until match day, then again afterwards. Would highly recommend to everyone!

I wrote it towards the end of third year without too much extra stress, just took a day off for the exam. Very glad I did it, don't have it hanging over my head now during CaRMS and will have a couple months before residency without having to study or write. And yeah, like you said, everything is fresher at the end of third year- I haven't done anything related to obs in a year and don't want to relearn at this point

On 3/16/2022 at 7:14 AM, Kitara said:

several people in our class wrote during electives in 4th year or just after the Christmas break and got it out of the way before CaRMS.