Premed 101 Forums

Incorrect verifier included for Western Essay

Althervi2

Verifiers "must" be able to corroborate the entire scope of the activity that you describe. Inability to do so "may" disqualify your application.

It was your responsibility to "ensure that the contact information for each verifier is complete, current and correct.

If I were you I would do nothing in the hope that the verifier won't be contacted. Should you contact adcoms with this issue, it is unlikely they will be sympathetic or do anything for you in this situation - as if they did, they would be obliged to make exceptions for everybody with some sort of issue resulting from their own errors. Worse, if you give your name and issue, they might now be on notice of the identified problem and you could be making your problem much worse.

Your application may or may not be disqualified, depending upon whether they actually communicate with this verifier. This is a life lesson that will save you from having many potential problems in the future b/c you are sensitive to the importance of verifying information you submit before hitting the 'send' button.  

26 minutes ago, Bambi said:

Verifiers "must" be able to corroborate the entire scope of the activity that you describe. Inability to do so "may" disqualify your application.

It was your responsibility to "ensure that the contact information for each verifier is complete, current and correct.

If I were you I would do nothing in the hope that the verifier won't be contacted. Should you contact adcoms with this issue, it is unlikely they will be sympathetic or do anything for you in this situation - as if they did, they would be obliged to make exceptions for everybody with some sort of issue resulting from their own errors. Worse, if you give your name and issue, they might now be on notice of the identified problem and you could be making your problem much worse.

Your application may or may not be disqualified, depending upon whether they actually communicate with this verifier. This is a life lesson that will save you from having many potential problems in the future b/c you are sensitive to the importance of verifying information you submit before hitting the 'send' button.  

Thanks for the reply - it's hard to read, but you're right, it's completely on me I'll likely have to pay for it with another year of my life. 

The verifier was contacted and couldn't fill out the verification form. Would you have any suggestions as to how I should move forward or am I at the end here? 

You've just been handed the kiss of death! The good news is that - in your case - there is life after death. :P Next year! Take it on the chin. This is a 'life lesson' you will never forget.

I went to Cegep, junior college, in Quebec and was not mature enough to do well - so, I did not qualify to even apply to medical school then, and I could have become a medical doctor 2 years earlier. So, what did I do? I moved on to undergraduate studies and realized I had to grow up, my destiny was entirely in my hands. I realized this was my only chance to med school, I became highly motivated, worked hard throughout undergrad, was exhausted at the end of each semester year after year after year. I became a straight A student at the starting gate. I went directly from undergrad to medical school, from med school into a competitive surgical specialty residency and today, I am a practicing surgeon just starting my thrid year of practice. My point is, this is not the end of the world for you, just the beginning of a marathon, so be positive, we all experience detours and failure, those of us whom are smart, learn from these experiences and move on!

I know a brilliant student, who is Cegep had grades in the mid 90s, had superior ECs, was an absolutely stellar candidate for med school, and he was dismal at the interview; so, he had no choice but to do undergrad, where he learned to do research, made terrific contacts with faculty and he was accepted into the MD/PhD Programs. His detour in not being accepted on his first try was the springboard to his future career as a clinician-researcher.

The glass is never half empty, always half full! :P Assuming you do become a physician, so what, you will practice one year less in a 39 year career instead of 40 years. Perspective, attitude, self-reflection are very important. Be kind, compassion, apply next year. Good Luck!    

45 minutes ago, Althervi2 said:

Thanks for the reply - it's hard to read, but you're right, it's completely on me I'll likely have to pay for it with another year of my life. 

The verifier was contacted and couldn't fill out the verification form. Would you have any suggestions as to how I should move forward or am I at the end here? 

Thank them for contacting you, apologize and mention your unfortunate error and that you are contacting the admin staff.  Do the same with the admin staff and give the right verifier.  It may not work but it's worth a shot.  They could refuse, but I think it's a slightly discretionary call if it's one verifier for one activity.  Otherwise your application for Western will simply be refused - and you can reapply next year as needed.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/7/2022 at 7:28 PM, Althervi2 said:

Not going to beat a dead horse here since you know you fucked up @Althervi2

All you can do is beg the admin staff to let them know of the situation and give you a chance to either find the correct verifier or disregard that activity altogether. I mean your "verifier" can't lie for you. 

A cynic will look at your situation and ask "Why would I give this person that chance? ... what if they try to pull the wool over my eyes and make up a verifier that will lie for the applicant? What else could they be lying about?" and you know... I can't blame them for thinking that way. 

There's a realistic chance that this will probably end your chances at Western for this year though. 

- G 

27 minutes ago, GH0ST said:

Not going to beat a dead horse here since you know you fucked up @Althervi2

All you can do is beg the admin staff to let them know of the situation and give you a chance to either find the correct verifier or disregard that activity altogether. I mean your "verifier" can't lie for you. 

A cynic will look at your situation and ask "Why would I give this person that chance? ... what if they try to pull the wool over my eyes and make up a verifier that will lie for the applicant? What else could they be lying about?" and you know... I can't blame them for thinking that way. 

There's a realistic chance that this will probably end your chances at Western for this year though. 

- G 

Thanks for the response, it's always helpful to get some more insight on the situation. Definitely frustrating because it amounts essentially to a typo on my end but you're right, it doesn't look great for me :( I had a bit of hope though, I reached out to OMSAS and they said Western will reach out to candidates for updated information (https://www.ouac.on.ca/faq/mistake-in-school-submission/) if they don't get a response from the verifier, so we'll see, but overall, definitely a mistake I won't make again when applying next year!