Premed 101 Forums

On a side note regarding this, I've read on this forum that, in Québec, CCFP-EM bill 20% less vs their colleagues RCPSC because of different billing codes in the province. Someone mentionned it is not the case in Ontario. Bummer for Québec EM physicians but something to consider. 

That's it. That's my contribution to this thread. ^_^

On 6/10/2023 at 5:55 PM, Perpetual student said:

Hi all! Hope everyone is enjoying summer. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what is the average take home pay for FM docs? Talking about standard fee for service docs who work 5 days/ week. 

Depends on the province and how many patients you see in those 5 days, assuming FFS. Remuneration varies wildly between provinces. 

I’m in AB, which I understand pays better than many places. The staff I’m working with this week bills ~$8000-9000 gross per week for 4.5 days of work, with very normal billing practices (nothing shady). So that would be at least ~22k every 4 weeks before taxes, after 30% overhead but before taxes. Very roughly it works on average to $225-250/hr most hours. Actual take home would depend on a number of other factors (RRSP contributions, other methods of tax deferral such as private corp, etc). I’ve met docs who are slower and bill much less, and docs who bill a lot more. It really depends. BC should be similar if you’re on the new longitudinal model, assuming 4 patients per hour (which works out to ~230/hour on average) and not too much time doing indirect patient care like charting etc (which you can only bill $130/hr for). 

On 6/15/2023 at 7:51 PM, frenchpress said:

Depends on the province and how many patients you see in those 5 days, assuming FFS. Remuneration varies wildly between provinces. 

I’m in AB, which I understand pays better than many places. The staff I’m working with this week bills ~$8000-9000 gross per week for 4.5 days of work, with very normal billing practices (nothing shady). So that would be at least ~22k every 4 weeks before taxes, after 30% overhead but before taxes. Very roughly it works on average to $225-250/hr most hours. Actual take home would depend on a number of other factors (RRSP contributions, other methods of tax deferral such as private corp, etc). I’ve met docs who are slower and bill much less, and docs who bill a lot more. It really depends. BC should be similar if you’re on the new longitudinal model, assuming 4 patients per hour (which works out to ~230/hour on average) and not too much time doing indirect patient care like charting etc (which you can only bill $130/hr for). 

Wow those are insane numbers. Wasnt expecting the average fam doc even in Alberta to be billing 500k a year. Seriously good for them. They work hard for their money. 

6 hours ago, hero147 said:

Wow those are insane numbers. Wasnt expecting the average fam doc even in Alberta to be billing 500k a year. Seriously good for them. They work hard for their money. 

I don’t think most of them are billing QUITE that much. Most staff I know take at least a couple months of vacation a year, so probably more like 350-400k gross, and then with 30% overhead. But still good for what I honestly think is a reasonable workload. In AB you’ve really got to understand how to bill properly though - a lot of people do not bill what they deserve in terms of time modifiers.

12 hours ago, frenchpress said:

I don’t think most of them are billing QUITE that much. Most staff I know take at least a couple months of vacation a year, so probably more like 350-400k gross, and then with 30% overhead. But still good for what I honestly think is a reasonable workload. In AB you’ve really got to understand how to bill properly though - a lot of people do not bill what they deserve in terms of time modifiers.

yeah - doctors often have 12 weeks or so of "vacation" - it isn't just vacation mind you as you have to continuously retrain your skills, and there is a lot of just admin work you need to do. Still without that kind of downtime the much higher than most people work hours when you are on full clinical probably would eventually crush you.