Premed 101 Forums

Do programs prefer med students over residents in the 2nd iteration?

Basically the title. Do programs prefer CMG med students over CMG residents in the 2nd iteration? I know there's typically a strong preference for CMGs over IMGs regardless of education status, but anyone have any insight when it comes to a med student VS a current resident (both CMGs)?

I guess some pros of a resident would be that they're already well oriented to residency and so programs MAYBE dont need to put in as much of an initial investment as they might with a med student?? Also if they've already completed the core off service rotations, then they'd be able to sooner contribute to the on-call pool of that particular program's service. 

Thoughts?

Medical students in the 2nd iteration are often scrambling to fit their application to something they clearly did not apply to in the first round. Residents may have been lying in wait of the 2nd iteration and networking/doing off service rotations preparing for a transfer. 

Still I’ve definitely seen it go both ways, not enough to come up with any trend although it would be interesting if there was data reported.