Premed 101 Forums

UBC..what's happening? when are decisions?

Guest med2005

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ian Wong

Hi all,

I believe that admissions is just about finished, and you should all be receiving acceptance letters in the very near future. Rumour has it that acceptances go out starting this week (and it looks that way at the moment... Congrats str).

Ian

UBC, MS2

Guest YongQ

I'm a little suspicious of Str's post because he or she mispelled "extracurricular" exactly the same way Ryan did a few posts ago, and posted in a similar format. But I'm probably just a little jumpy, so congratulations to you Str anyway.

:eek == I like this one!

Guest Ian Wong

I don't know if rejections and acceptances will be sent simultaneously. My suspicion, based on nothing more that my own intuition about how committees usually work, is that they will do one mailout for accepted's, and another for rejected's. It therefore makes sense to me that there would be a small amount of spacing in between the two.

Hopefully, I'll have a chance to speak to the incoming class during Orientation Week.

Ian

UBC, MS2

With all due respect, I think Ian Wong should keep his mouth shut with regards to what the admissions commitee is doing. He has absolutely no clue as to what is going on, let alone anymore information than anyone who has applied. The adcom has to wait for the update forms to come in from everyone in order to have a FAIR process, and as everyone knows, they are not due until April 30. Hence acceptance letters will be sent out in mid-may with this in mind. I know for a fact that no one, apart from MD-PhD applicants, have received any acceptance letters. Ian Wong makes it sound as though he has inside access to priveleged information from the adcom that regular applicants can not get; I highly doubt they would release this to him. I appreciate this website as a forum to share thoughts and ideas, but when you are posting false information deliberately as fact, it ruins it.

Thor

Guest YongQ

Thor, Ian does have access to inside information on the admissions process - he has finished the UBC application process himself, and knows lots of people who've done the same. What is the problem? Has he said anything proven false or offensive so far? If he wasn't sure about something, he said that it was his opinion. I think that all this "Ian makes it sound like..." stuff is in your vindictive imagination.

:eek == I still like this!

Guest tones

Hi guys,

I think people should show a little bit more respect for the moderator of this great service. I'll be the first to admit that I have no idea what is going on but sine he's gone through the process and seeing his name on the pamphlet information I think I can trust him...

later,

tones

Guest Ian Wong

Hi all,

I get my info via a number of different places, mainly by hearing stuff during meetings, talking to staff and students, etc. You are correct; I haven't received an acceptance letter this year, so anything I say is secondhand information. However, I do believe there is a very strong likelihood that at least some people will be receiving acceptance letters very soon, either this week or the next.

UBC has really been trying to get those acceptance letters out much earlier, compared to my class, where letters were being sent out mid-June and past. In either event, your application is in, and nothing I say or do will affect your chances of getting in. Hopefully, my predictions based on what I've heard are more correct than incorrect; I wouldn't bother saying them otherwise.

Best of luck all, and I hope to see you all in September.

Ian

UBC, MS2

Guest yvr

Hi everyone,

I have been waiting a long long time like many of you. So I phoned on Thursday (May 3) morning and the person who answered the phone told me that they hope to have everyone informed by May 15. WHen I prompted for more, however, she said that letters have NOT been mailed yet.

So I guess we have just a little bit longer to wait. I too was naive and believed everyone who posted that they got accepted already! oh well.

Guest hhh

I have been waiting anxiously for word from UBC also, so hopefully it will be sooner and not later! However, i would be more inclined to believe someone posting they had been accepted on the message board than to believe that UBC had not sent out ANY acceptances yet. They likely said they hadn't sent out letters so that they would have an excuse not to tell you over the phone. I would think that they send letters in batches, and some people have heard/some have not. I still see no logical reason for someone to write that they had been accepted when they hadn't? Although, maybe I'm wrong... who knows?

Guest iii

You are right.... There is no logical reason for posting that you were accepted when in reality you were not. However, some people are still doing it and I don't know why.

Guest koko

I wonder if the rejections are being mailed simultaneously with the acceptances. Lets just say, I dont want them to be mailed at the same time.

Archived