Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted??? (for current applicants)

Guest Ian Wong

With matching back to Canada, how did u go about doing that? did you have to write USMLE followed by some other tests to cross the border and apply to caRMS?

edit: oops i just found a thread dedicated to this :P

I've been told that you must write the Canadian board exam (which is easier than USMLE step 1) after third year in order to qualify for applying via caRMS.

Congrats on your acceptance :)

And thanks, Moo and AnxiousBoy for your helpful and informative posts!

I've been told that you must write the Canadian board exam (which is easier than USMLE step 1) after third year in order to qualify for applying via caRMS.

Congrats on your acceptance :)

And thanks, Moo and AnxiousBoy for your helpful and informative posts!

First I think we need to differentiate something here from Moo's post. The ability to land the residency of choice is not hindered by being canadian. However, whether one wants to take it or not is more about one's personal choice because of the said J-1 visa status. I think there's a difference between the two.

Regarding USMLE, you have to take step 1 and 2 to graduate from your school. You also have to take MCCQE #1 to start residency in canada. You have to graduate to start residency. Hence, you need to take them all. I was told that MCCQE #1 is more like step 2 with maybe a little bit of associated basic science involved. Moo could help us out with this better. I believe MCCQE is offered during one period in april to may of your graduating fourth year (for the spring grads that is) so I'm curious to know if it is indeed similar to step 2 because I wanna push back taking step 2 as late as i can since I don't wanna study for that crud twice. So short answer, there is no qualifying exam to apply for Carms. However, if you are IMG (non-US), you have to take the evaulation exam before taking the MCCQE.

First I think we need to differentiate something here from Moo's post. The ability to land the residency of choice is not be hindered by being canadian. However, whether one wants to take it or not is more about one's personal choice because of the said J-1 visa status. I think there's a difference between the two.

Regarding USMLE, you have to take step 1 and 2 to graduate from your school. You also have to take MCCQE #1 to start residency in canada. You have to graduate to start residency. Hence, you need to take them all. I was told that MCCQE #1 is more like step 2 with maybe a little bit of associated basic science involved. Moo could help us out with this better. I believe MCCQE is offered during one period in april to may of your graduating fourth year (for the spring grads that is) so I'm curious to know if it is indeed similar to step 2 because I wanna push back taking step 2 as late as i can since I don't wanna study for that crud twice. So short answer, there is no qualifying exam to apply for Carms. However, if you are IMG (non-US), you have to take the evaulation exam before taking the MCCQE.

Everything you've said is correct. Assuming you can easily cross back to Canada after residency, visa status doesn't matter. However, for some specialties you may need to do an extra year before you qualify to do the RCPC exams, and that's where the problem lies. You can always do a fellowship but you better make sure that your training matches what the Royal College wants (i.e., you need certain number of months in certain rotations). Thus, it is safest to be able to get an H1b... gives you maximal flexibility.

With regards to step 2 and LMCC 1, I found LMCC 1 a lot easier. Questions were very straightforward. I did better (compared to Cdn grads) on LMCC 1 than I did on step 2 (compared to US grads). I studied for the two together. You also need to study a lot about the Canadian HCS, and the public health system in Canada (found in the toronto notes). And don't even bother asking me about LMCC part 2--it was such a joke. LMCC 2 is an OSCE, and there is a reason why it's a joke (which I will not get into on a public forum). I found Step 2 CS harder than LMCC 2, although Step 2 CS was better written.

Cleaning up mlbn! ;):D

nice! are you going to accept?!

Thank you and thank you! I am going to accept, I kinda liked the school and Lexington. I am slightly worried about their right about average score on the boards, where as other schools I've been to are raving about "10 points higher than national average" scores. In terms of US news ranking, Kentucky ranks 10 points better than SLU in terms of research and primary care, but I guess in the entire realm of mid tier schools, that is not going to make much of a difference?

The bottom line, I suppose would come to where I would be able to grow better so to secure better residencies, either back in Canada or somewhere nice on the east coast. I feel like there are so many things I have not thought through properly. Up to now, its been about filling applications, prepping for interviews, and yes I know I am lucky to have acceptances now, but I am also pretty confused about how to choose. Except for my interview at Boston U, I haven't really fallen in love with any of these schools. Are we supposed to have an epiphany at the school that is going to be it?!

The US application veterans, your help would be much appreciated!

Thank you and thank you! I am going to accept, I kinda liked the school and Lexington. I am slightly worried about their right about average score on the boards, where as other schools I've been to are raving about "10 points higher than national average" scores. In terms of US news ranking, Kentucky ranks 10 points better than SLU in terms of research and primary care, but I guess in the entire realm of mid tier schools, that is not going to make much of a difference?

The bottom line, I suppose would come to where I would be able to grow better so to secure better residencies, either back in Canada or somewhere nice on the east coast. I feel like there are so many things I have not thought through properly. Up to now, its been about filling applications, prepping for interviews, and yes I know I am lucky to have acceptances now, but I am also pretty confused about how to choose. Except for my interview at Boston U, I haven't really fallen in love with any of these schools. Are we supposed to have an epiphany at the school that is going to be it?!

The us application veterans, your help would be much appreciated!

Congrats, mlbn!!! I can hardly believe that we have a choice about where to go for med school :D

Definitely agree about the difficulty of comparing schools. I was thinking that it would be nice to have the fall-in-love feeling at that one school, especially when we have heard so much about the mystical "fit". But honestly, the fall-in-love feeling is only so far based on a single interview day, and the few interviewers and current students that we met. As I visit more schools, I just keep second-guessing that feeling, lol. Maybe that's what second-look is for, though I'm probably too broke for that :)

Accepted! After interviewing in Canada last year and not having any luck this is such a relief! Its nice to know I'm going to be a doctor and back in school next year! I just interviewed 6 days ago.

CMS: biogirlsbro (I:11/10,A:11/16)

SLU: mlbn (I:09/20,A:10/16), madskillz99 (I: 10/11, A: 10/28), crystelle_007 (I:10/26, A: 11/11)

Wayne State: mlbn (I:10/13, A:10/20)

Dartmouth: RickyJamesMD (I:09/30, A:10/22)

Kentucky: mlbn (I: 11/06, A:11/11)

SUNY Upstate: thirty6ix (I: 10/19, A: 10/28)

MSU: terrypk1 (I: 10/25, A: 11/2)

WAITLIST

GWU: concernedp(I: 09/17,WL: 10/18), mlbn (I:09/20, WL:11/3)

Accepted! After interviewing in Canada last year and not having any luck this is such a relief! Its nice to know I'm going to be a doctor and back in school next year! I just interviewed 6 days ago.

SLU: mlbn (I:09/20,A:10/16), madskillz99 (I: 10/11, A: 10/28), crystelle_007 (I:10/26, A: 11/11)

WAITLIST

be the first to start the rejection list: LOL

SUNY Upstate: terrypk1 (I:10: 20, Rejection: 11/13)

WAITLIST

that is fast for 6 day turn around.

Congrats, mlbn!!! I can hardly believe that we have a choice about where to go for med school :D

Definitely agree about the difficulty of comparing schools. I was thinking that it would be nice to have the fall-in-love feeling at that one school, especially when we have heard so much about the mystical "fit". But honestly, the fall-in-love feeling is only so far based on a single interview day, and the few interviewers and current students that we met. As I visit more schools, I just keep second-guessing that feeling, lol. Maybe that's what second-look is for, though I'm probably too broke for that :)

well, i would say go to the cheaper school that is not too bad.

Congrats biogirlsbro (and all of you with acceptances). I am anxiously waiting for a decision from Wayne State on the 24th. My only interview so far and I was waitlisted there last year. It would sure be nice going into the Canadian interviews with an acceptance in hand.

that is so intense! if they are this fast for interview turnaround how come im still not small pooled? :-<

congrats biogirlsbro!

Thanks guys and good luck. Pooling takes time, I think they typically receive > 10,000 applications. Once you get the interview you'll have a great chance of eventually getting accepted. From what I've heard the wait list moves a ton

Complete on Sept 3, small pooled around Sept 19, interview invite on Oct 21, then interviewed Nov 10

so they sent you a email telling you that you were "small pooled"? because I've been complete and entering initial screening since September 27th -.-

do you know whether cms has a tendency to keep people in limbo until april?

so they sent you a email telling you that you were "small pooled"? because I've been complete and entering initial screening since September 27th -.-

do you know whether cms has a tendency to keep people in limbo until april?

Yes I received an email saying I was small pooled. I heard they interview well into april and its still quite early so I wouldn't be too concerned. Good luck!

Hey crystelle, they seem to be very slow with some applications. I was complete on August 3rd and entered preliminary review. I kept emailing and calling them every week after the 6 week mark. On my 10th week, I got pretty upset when I called them and said they are making my early application pointless , because so many ppl with later complete dates were getting pooled and interviewed and what not. They finally added me to the pool on October 19th! I have a feeling I'll never get out of this pool though ....

You should call them and ask. Or maybe email first, then call.

And congrats biogirlsbro! You must've nailed that interview to get an offer so quickly! How does the relief feel?!:D

I felt the interview went really well, I was much better prepared this year. It feels unreal. Its nice to know we'll be in medical school at least somewhere next year. Hopefully the luck will continue! All the best

Since I'm on a mission to procrastinate stead of writing my thesis, I'll answer this post, since it seems it never really got an answer...and yeah, I don't want to write my thesis :D

I can't be certain about other people, but I have received a few rejections so far. I'm not embarrassed about posting them (it's on my Mdapps anyways), I just never added it since no one else had. It may be a good idea to include them though, for the sake of next year's applicants. I for sure took advantage of the same stats from last year's thread.

i haven't received any rejections yet (2 holds, 2 invites) but i'm sure in April ill be receiving a bunch from those cruel schools that decide to drag me along in limbo :P

WAITLIST

Rejected

Tulane: concernedp(S+)

Georgetown: concernedp (S+)

MSU: concernedp (S+)

EVMS: concernedp (S+)

Sunny Upstate:terrypk1 (I:10: 20, Rejection: 11/13)

WAITLIST

Rejected

Case:mlbn(S+)

Dartmouth: mlbn (S+)

UMaryland: mlbn (S+)

Sunny Upstate:terrypk1 (I+)

Tulane: concernedp(S+), mlbn (S+)

Vanderbilt: mlbn (S-)

EVMS: mlbn (I :11/03, A:11/20)

WAITLIST

Rejected

Case:mlbn(S+)

Dartmouth: mlbn (S+)

UMaryland: mlbn (S+)

Sunny Upstate:terrypk1 (I+)

Tulane: concernedp(S+), mlbn (S+)

Vanderbilt: mlbn (S-)