Premed 101 Forums

July/August Practice Scores Thread

DiscoDoc

Hey, you shouldnt worry to much or you might psych yourself out for the real test, remember if anything the real MCAT is along the lines of th AAMC ones, and as for verbal... Well all you can do is try your best and hopefully youll be ok, like you said "Be confident, not confused". :)

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, my VR scores are really variable as well. But with practice you pick up little tricks, ie. don't answer something that isn't specifically explained in the passage, even though it is probably right in a trivia contest. :)

Hey, you shouldnt worry to much or you might psych yourself out for the real test, remember if anything the real MCAT is along the lines of th AAMC ones, and as for verbal... Well all you can do is try your best and hopefully youll be ok, like you said "Be confident, not confused". :)

ya man, youre right. maybe i going tooo all out. i just want better than a 8 for verbal, since the other two sections i really dont see myself under 10 ( i hope that didnt sound braggy :( )

damned VR. ugh, gotta go do BS section now!

Dont worry bane..I am sure you will do fine....If it makes you feel better- I just did CBT 8- GOT 10,7,9 :( I am writing on the 9th of Aug..I usually do better in phy and bio but i dont know what happened..I thought the bio had some weird passages..i still have to review but i am sure there are silly mistakes,

I wrote in the library where cell phones were ringing, some construction is going on in our uni and people are walking with big heels making that tak tak tak sound..ughh soo annoying but i wanted to practise under such conditions so i guess thats good..But i cant blame that for my terrible score:(...Need to practise more!!!!

Man,I am soo scared for my Aug 14th. I just cant seem to get any better! I'm so scared I'll bomb VR, get a scary PS, and a crazy BS, along with a WS I can't understand.

VR is just so scary. Timing is the roughest, even though I limit going back. Ugh. need to practice big time.

Man, I can barely sleep without dreaming about the freakin test! I only have 11 days!!! :eek:

Oh man, BANE I"M SCARED OF THAT TOO hahah... I've been dreaming about the MCAT for the past 2 days :eek:... I can't believe it's in 7 days! SEVEN DAYS!!!

So, I did verbal for AAMC 10 and 8... and got a 9 and then an 11. My scores keep fluctuating and it's really making me worried. I like what THX said, but don't pick answers unless they're stated in the passage in some way. I also find that often my mistakes come from reading through the answer choices too fast, so be sure to keep reading critically on the answers.

radhika, don't worry. elaine made a post where she didn't get such a hot score the day before the test and she ended up with a 12, 10, 10 R on the real thing. I'd focus on verbal and take a look and review the areas you found week in BS. What made you get the answers wrong? I find that with BS, you can use inference often to get the answers right. Did you misinterpret graphs? Did you miss information given to you in the passage? Think about what you were doing and why you missed the answer. You can do it!!

ya man, youre right. maybe i going tooo all out. i just want better than a 8 for verbal, since the other two sections i really dont see myself under 10 ( i hope that didnt sound braggy :( )

damned VR. ugh, gotta go do BS section now!

Yesterday, when I got the 9 in verbal I was crushed because I had been doing hardcore verbal for the past couple days. When I finished the test, I looked at the questions I got wrong and found that I was misred answers a couple of times (I was only 1 question away, so that made a big difference). I also got unlucky and on about 3 of the the things I got down to 50/50 I got all wrong. hahah

Anyway, I also found that I strayed from my normal strategy of going back to the passage as much as possible to make sure your answer choice is safe... rather than answering based on memory. I know this is the opposite of what EK says to do, but I really don't like EK's verbal method... it doesn't work for me.

You can do it bane! Take a look at what was causing you to fall into the traps? Was there any pattern at all to any mistakes? What could you do to stop making those specific mistakes, or at least make them less often. :)

I also got unlucky and on about 3 of the the things I got down to 50/50 I got all wrong. hahah

Damn, Law... I hate those 50/50 things too. When I was doing the paper tests, I would scratch out answers I knew were wrong. Several times it came down to two choices, and these 50/50s comprised the majority of my wrong answers. :(

Is anyone else haviong timing problems with VR? I just did AAMC 7 and I dont know how it happened, but all of a sudden I found that I had 10 minutes left for 2 passages. Obviously thats going to be like a 6.

I have to mark it now. Overall, I found AAMC 7 HARD!

Is anyone else haviong timing problems with VR? I just did AAMC 7 and I dont know how it happened, but all of a sudden I found that I had 10 minutes left for 2 passages. Obviously thats going to be like a 6.

i think it's more like "who isn't having timing problems with vr?" :P

i'm doing them one psg at a time...i can usually finish in 8 mins...but when i do them back to back, i lose some time...it's like this hour has 52 minutes :eek:

Damn, Law... I hate those 50/50 things too. When I was doing the paper tests, I would scratch out answers I knew were wrong. Several times it came down to two choices, and these 50/50s comprised the

majority of my wrong answers. :(

Yeah, I find when you get to those... try to examine the answers choices as much as you can to notice the difference. Sometimes though, I really don't know and just take a guess and move on. I've noticed that my first instinct is usually right with these questions. I sometimes go back, reexamine and change the answer... and maybe about 85% of the time I get it wrong... so I guess if you're not sure about the answer and you got it down to 50/50 do not look at the question again, go with your instinct and leave it!

i think it's more like "who isn't having timing problems with vr?"

i'm doing them one psg at a time...i can usually finish in 8 mins...but when i do them back to back, i lose some time...it's like this hour has 52 minutes :eek:

Yeah, timing is seriously key. On AAMC 10, I got to the last 2 passages and had 22 minutes left and was like, "oh I'm fine"... suddenly I realized on the last passage that I spent too much time on the 2nd last passage. :eek:

How do you guys approach verbal passages? I am seriously on an adrenaline rush during verbal. I read really fast (as fast as possible w/o losing understanding) and I keep reading really fast during answering. lol, I pretend I'm a verbal warrior! Must go fast and be critical. hahaha... but really I find that I have to really force myself to maintain my speed because after a bit, I notice I start getting sluggish.

Verbal warriors unite!! Down with the AAMC!

awwwww...what an angelic smileeee

law, do ek vr test 8

I will maybe later tonight, have to do a bit of PS and bio today.

Just finished 7R and it WAS hard...I surprised myself on physical sciences, but biol for some reason kicked my ass and verbal was just a crazy rush for time (and I usually finish with at least 5 min to spare) - and all the answer choices seemed so random + i couldn't concentrate at all...sigh...12 days left :eek::eek:

Whoah. Lotta traffic since I last checked in :D (I wish I could use multiquote right now but I hate getting the message "youve used 600 emoticons, we limit you to 5", so here goes...

@ avenir: Ya, I do the same thing, like 8min/passage. I blaze the first three passages like "oh ya, done 3 passages in 22 minutes" (i know, incredible isnt it:rolleyes: ) and then end up getting slow for the rest. I hate that feeling of this hour has 52 minutes. God, looking at the time when it says "45:46" makes my heart-rate go up like x10! "ONLY 13:13 left!!"

@Law: yo man, that is so sick that you have a hunch what the answer is even when you were wrong. like splitting it 50/50 and getting that wrong can be annoying, but its better than crossing stuff out completely, only to find out it was right. wow i do that a lot. i think you'll do well on the real deal man since VR doesnt seem to be holding you back that hard. what a VR warrior! :D

@Tan: ya, 7 was hard. I just marked it and am kinda surprised. i actually never have enough time to go back and check my answers. VR was like you said so f*cking random I guess even if I read the last passage i still wouldnt have done any better! :P

Score for AAMC 7

PS: 14

VR: 8 (f*ck off AAMC)

BS: 12

Total: *gimme a sec..ummm* 34

much better than I expected, but low VR can make this score useless!

oh, i think last time I got a 10 (:eek: ) PS was because i panicked. this time i told myself to STFU everytime i started worrying.

sh*tters, gotta go take it up now. see y'all soon.

thanks avenir :P but i am so scared about VR!!!

oh well, if i got a 14,8,12 on the real thing i'd be happy, since that should be ok for the states... i think.

Hell 8/8/8 is good enough for the States... :o Well slight exaggeration... but the biggest problem for Yankee premeds seems to be whether or not they get into a top 25 or state or DO school. Here it is whether we get in at all. :(

Nice job on AAMC 7 Bane. Yeah, if I recall, I got 4 wrong in verbal and they were all in the same &%$@ing passage.

Are you guys finding a high standard deviation in your verbal errors from passage to passage? In English, are most of your mistakes confined to a few passages, and you are sweeping the others?

Wow, sick burn playa. That score is awesome bane. You'll get your verbal score up. :D

Man, just got burned on AAMC 10 physics... did so well on the chem, but I was so confused during physics. I got this passage where I was like :| what the hell are they talking about. lol ... ended up with an 8, sighhh, back to practicing I go

Man, I need to work on memorizing formulas. FOUR times, I forgot a formula or I made really really stupid mistakes calculating. And once I misread the question, damnit, so stupid. Annnd, I got confused in optics I have to review it again. Stupid optics! lol I think I"ll have to review optics a few hours before the mcat ahhaha.

Nice job on AAMC 7 Bane. Yeah, if I recall, I got 4 wrong in verbal and they were all in the same &%$@ing passage.

Are you guys finding a high standard deviation in your verbal errors from passage to passage? In English, are most of your mistakes confined to a few passages, and you are sweeping the others?

thanks DD. if I ever get only 4 wrong in VR I will be the happiest kid ever! Thats so awesome. daaamn! I find that I usually get at least one wrong per VR passage, usually 2, but not more than 4. So I end up getting like 26-29 out of 40 (~12 wrong for the 7 passages, which sucks). My mistakes arent usually clumped- theyre everywhere :P

Wow, sick burn playa. That score is awesome bane. You'll get your verbal score up. :D

Man, just got burned on AAMC 10 physics... did so well on the chem, but I was so confused during physics. I got this passage where I was like :| what the hell are they talking about. lol ... ended up with an 8, sighhh, back to practicing I go

Man, I need to work on memorizing formulas. FOUR times, I forgot a formula or I made really really stupid mistakes calculating. And once I misread the question, damnit, so stupid. Annnd, I got confused in optics I have to review it again. Stupid optics! lol I think I"ll have to review optics a few hours before the mcat ahhaha.

Ya man, I hear AAMC 10 is a bitc*. I dont know what that'll be like. Chem is always easier than physics. But ya, I know what you mean about formulas! I'm making sure I know them since they can really get you out of a pickle! oh ya, optics can be a pain too man. i hate those "WTF" passages. for me, all of VR is like that. PS is something I can manage, thank God.

Try using scientific notation. i find it helps a lot, rather than eliminating zeros and the rest of the mess.

I hate reviewing man. it takes like 5hrs!! I just spent 1.5hrs revewing my AAMC 7 PS. well, back at it I guess! catch you later!

AAMC 10 was annoying, but it actually wasn't bad. I made really stupid mistakes. I'm reviewing it now, it's definitely not that bad. But at least it reminded me to do some electricity problems because I was forgetting the formulas and to work a bit on optics and waves.

is it me, or do waves appear more than anything else in PS passages. I'm pretty sure that every AAMC I've done so far had waves on it...I hate waves :P

Same here, grr waves. I generally don't do miserably on them, but don't do as well as I would like. haha

just did EK verbal 8- I just got the cutoff for a 10... I was sort of speed reading a bit and did the 9 passages in the cbt time but dont know if that would even increase test stamina, maybe? the worst thing was that I had a damn song stuck in my head periodically so no more music for me :rolleyes:

nice job on aamc 7 bane. I plan on taking that this upcoming weekend, I did aamc 6 two weeks ago , hopefully I don't drop . that would suck.

Archived