Premed 101 Forums

July/August Practice Scores Thread

DiscoDoc

just did EK verbal 8- I just got the cutoff for a 10... I was sort of speed reading a bit and did the 9 passages in the cbt time but dont know if that would even increase test stamina, maybe? the worst thing was that I had a damn song stuck in my head periodically so no more music for me :rolleyes:

nice job on aamc 7 bane. I plan on taking that this upcoming weekend, I did aamc 6 two weeks ago , hopefully I don't drop . that would suck.

thanks man.

whoah--- you did 9 passages in 60 minutes?! Am I getting that right?! :eek: Damn thats schveet.

Oh man, I know what you mean about having a song stuck in your head when you do VR. I was even drumming with my pencil and tapping my foot for EK8. I think I got like a 7, I was so out of it. But then again, I'm **** at verbal.

I hope you dont drop too man. But if your VR is fine, I wouldnt worry much.

Damn. Dont you wish you could transfer points? Wish I could transfer some PS points to my crappy VR. :P

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

haha yeah balancing points would be nice to have! The 9 passages in 60 minutes... something that helped me out was that I really bypassed all the reading of the yale obediance study since I already knew the background... just the last paragraph or such had to be read. That probably won't happen on test day. Songs in our head better not happen on test day either:eek:.

For the last VR though I stuck to EK and stayed away from marking the passage and just reading it, I found this test to be more reader friendly too or it seemed to be when I was doing it.

Now I must focus back on the sciences and hope to pull off something good on aamc 7. I plan on concentrating on weak aspects tonight followed by a full listen of audio osmosis tomorrow (maybe but might make me go crazy) then do the test sunday. Then back to work on tuesday :( ...having a week off was great getting work done

Such a turn in events, yesterday I got an 8 in PS... and today I got a 12, my highest PS score to date! BOOYAKAH!

Way to go All-star!

I just did another EK VR. Still a 9. Man, I think I'll ditch the rest of my studying and do only VR now since I'd rather get a 10,10,10 than a 14,8,12.

Thanks guys for the encouragement! I can't believe it's only 6 days away!

Phantom, I'm not sure if this is what you were asking... and I'm not superstar in PS but for torque i kinda think of it as... the force is pushing the object in what direction if there were no other forces present? i like to think of a plank or something and if i apply a force to it from the bottom on the right side...

----pivot point

_______V_________

-------------- ^

--------------force applied upward here

If it spins upwards and to the left it's going CCW because it's going the opposite direction of a clock's hands. I just try to keep it as simple as possible and think what direction the force is pushing my object.

killer score law

just wondering... I think I am spending more time than I should be on rotational motion but the right hand rule for torque, the clockwise and counterclockwise directions has always confused me... how does everyone view it?

Thanks guys for the encouragement! I can't believe it's only 6 days away!

Phantom, I'm not sure if this is what you were asking... and I'm not superstar in PS but for torque i kinda think of it as... the force is pushing the object in what direction if there were no other forces present? i like to think of a plank or something and if i apply a force to it from the bottom on the right side...

----pivot point

_______V_________

-------------- ^

--------------force applied upward here

If it spins upwards and to the left it's going CCW because it's going the opposite direction of a clock's hands. I just try to keep it as simple as possible and think what direction the force is pushing my object.

Any time you see torque, think rotation. Torque is like a rotational force.

For example "a object in rotational equilibrium has..."

a) no net force

B) no net torque.

ANS: b (this was an actual MCAT q)

translational eqm (not rotating and moving like in a straight line) means no net force, by F=ma, etc.

So, whenever you see torque, think rotation. In the see-saw Laws got, you pretty much decide the distance where the force goes, since torque considers both force and distance from pivot. if we have the same force applied at different distances, theres a net torque, and what happens to the see-saw?...... it rotates.

Lemme know if that makes sense/not and I'll try to clarify it further.

PS: good one with the see-saw Law, thanks for taking the time to put it in :D

PPS: WTF is the right hand rule? I dont even remember that

thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it!

the torque problems I was doing today were from my textbook and sort of got on my nerves a bit because of one question that was along the lines

--------fulcrum-------mass1-------mass2--------mass3

and they had different torque directions in relation to the fulcrum (rotational motion was my weak point in physics :) ) In rotational equilibrium the right hand rule has always confused me in figuring out clockwise/counter unless there was just 2 masses opposite a fulcrum then it makes life easier.

The RHR well if you take F = qvB , its the cross product q x v so in this kind of problem to work v and B would have to be perpendicular to each other so you find where v is and put your fingers in that direction, then curl to where B is and depending on whether your thumb is up or down theres the force but if theres a negative charge its in the opposite direction)

On SDN i was reading before on the july 24 mcat (i think that was the date) they were talking about how alot of physical sciences was angular momentum (so probably wont be on it this time around) sorta weird because only rotational momentum listed was torque on the 'stuff you need to know list' to my best knowledge.

The EK books and the Princeton books I have been going through have been pretty good, as well as the audio osmosis and the other books but theres some topics all the prep books seem to miss such as diffraction gratting, thin films, youngs double slit and a few more I think. I've done those before from physics class so I was looking them over in the text not to a great extent but just getting from it enough info I cna absorb without forgetting in case it is needed for application.

I think I might do more text instead of my original plan with audio

damn this was a long post :eek:

the torque problems I was doing today were from my textbook and sort of got on my nerves a bit because of one question that was along the lines

and they had different torque directions in relation to the fulcrum (rotational motion was my weak point in physics :) ) In rotational equilibrium the right hand rule has always confused me in figuring out clockwise/counter unless there was just 2 masses opposite a fulcrum then it makes life easier.

The RHR well if you take F = qvB , its the cross product q x v so in this kind of problem to work v and B would have to be perpendicular to each other so you find where v is and put your fingers in that direction, then curl to where B is and depending on whether your thumb is up or down theres the force but if theres a negative charge its in the opposite direction)

On SDN i was reading before on the july 24 mcat (i think that was the date) they were talking about how alot of physical sciences was angular momentum (so probably wont be on it this time around) sorta weird because only rotational momentum listed was torque on the 'stuff you need to know list' to my best knowledge.

The EK books and the Princeton books I have been going through have been pretty good, as well as the audio osmosis and the other books but theres some topics all the prep books seem to miss such as diffraction gratting, thin films, youngs double slit and a few more I think. I've done those before from physics class so I was looking them over in the text not to a great extent but just getting from it enough info I cna absorb without forgetting in case it is needed for application.

Oh! RHR about electromagnetism! ok, ya now we're cool, phantom. Ya, that used to bug me cuz I never could keep me head on straight.... so I just memorized the eqns and understand when to use em: F=Eq, V=Ed for electrics, and F=qvBsinx for magnetic shi#. cool. electromagentism used to be a big bit#h.

I didnt learn squat about Youngs double slit. that was back in high school and i totally forget it-- not going back to it man :D (God, please dont let me get tested on it)

If you know the angular momentum eqns theres nothing to fear: 2fPi = omega. then you can use that and plug it into your spring and pendelum equations for period/f/omega (w), "wackem" and "wiggle", w=(k/m)^0.5, w=(g/L)^0.5. I think last year some versions of the MCAT had angular momentum, but if you know the formulas you can reason it all out.

Man PS is so much more fun than VR or BS..... which actually makes me wonder why I'm even interested in med school which will be all bio memorizo.

I really like BS a lot more than PS, it's so much easier on my head! hahahah

bane, you are so ready man! Keep working on that VR and I'm sure you'll walk out with a killer score. :D

Thanks Big L. I'm ready on the sciences, like I guess most people are. But if VR stays around 8, no point in writing it.

i've talked to some people who wrote that test, and the angular momentum was something along the lines of a car on a banked curve, a pretty involved question, but not something totally unheard of. I wouldn't worry too much about it (as long as you understand the main concept behind it) :D

ah angular haha, I kept on looking over problems with moment of inertia and conservation of momentum on spinning wheels.... probably should focus on other stuff now!

I am sort of in textbook mode right now which I think has been pretty useful so far. I still have a month and a bit to go (sep 15) but it feels like im writing it next week keeping up with these posts! I wonder if the fact that the test is during the second week of school if that could play a part in score distribution amongst the canucks, probably not.

for verbal, now I am not even close to being an expert as I am stuck within the 9-10 range as of the moment.... but recently, I have been reading them as each one was a newspaper article or if anyone reads sports illustrated, pretend its a column by rick reilly... I find when I am too criticial such as paragraph 1 is....2....3.... it messes me up and I lose my focus but thats just me

just did 9R and somehow got 35, even though was completely distracted during the entire thing (mb that's the secret lol)

14PS :confused: I never do better on PS than BS

11VR

10BS :confused: :confused: no idea what happened

a week to go :eek:

holy f*ck! good one Tan!! i wish i could have that VR score! keep it up!

Wow killer, killer score Tan! GREAT WORK!!

I just did AAMC 10's bio and got a 12. I loveeeee bio! I thought I did bad because I found this section difficult, but guess it wasn't so bad afterall.

Going to practice some more verbal today, and maybe do another bio and a PS.

after doing aamc 7, I still need to work on the sciences it seems

PS: 10 1pt over 10

VR: 11 1 pt away from 12

BS: 10 1pt away from 11

highest score for me to date, but would like to improve... I usually get more than 5 wrong on verbal so this may be luck.

That's not a bad score at all phantom, good job. That verbal score is awesome.

I wrote AAMC 7 yesterday too, ended up with a 10. Was one away from an eleven, but obviously still need to practice more. 4 more days!!

Man, I had a dream that I was writing the MCAT today and I woke up all confused lol

Archived