Premed 101 Forums

Accepted/Rejected/Deferred/Waitlisted for Current Applicants

Guest HaliEngineer

Accepted!

IP-Nova Scotia

I applied and was rejected with a total score of 56.1 last year. I think that the last one off the NS waitlist had a 68. I'm going to go into detail with this because I hope it will help someone next year and I wish someone had done the same for me after my rejection last year.

GPA:3.73 last 3 years (11/15 on last year's score breakdown)

MCAT: 34R 12BS/10V/12PS (9/10 for last year's group)

Supplemental: (last year my score in this section was a 19.1/35. However, I don't know what the score was for each section of the supplemental)

Essay: Last year I wrote a pitiful story that did not answer the prompt. I think I was trying to be a writer when I should have just kept it to the point and played up my strengths. Apparently I even made some grammatical and spelling mistakes. I think I might have scored a 3/10. However, this year I feel my essay was very strong. The writing was very good and I really nailed the prompt. I also went to the writing center at Dal for some help. Ask for Paul, he is very helpful.

Extracurricular: Last year I had varsity soccer, lifeguarding, St. Anne's French, Modern Greek courses. This year I added French lessons and babysitting in Paris, starting a French/English language exchange, contributing to a short story/poetry exchange, Toastmasters, Lead role in a community musical and some other things.

Med: No difference between this and last year. Hospital volunteering for 5 years in Halifax and I worked as a patient aide for 3 months for about 24 hours a week.

Community: Maintenance on homeless shelter and at-risk tutoring 3 years. Adult literacy 3 years. psych lab volunteering 1 year. social behavior experiment 3 months. Canadian cancer society-4 years, heart and stroke 3 years. And soccer camp counselor, 1 summer.

Job: I've worked full and part-time at the family business all my life and throughout undergrad.

Awards: Dean's list, entrance scholarship, in-course scholarship, Canadian athlete-scholar award. One poster.

Interview: Last year's score=17/40 (automatic rejection)

Immediately after my interview last year I knew that I did not get in. I think I muttered one sentence after my first station and it was pretty much down hill from there. This year, however, I began preparing early. I joined toastmasters and took a role in a musical theater production to get over my nerves and I met with an interview coach in Halifax and the Annapolis Valley once a week since August. I also attended the communications workshops hosted at Dalhousie this year and set up practice sessions with fellow pre-meds on a weekly basis for a few months. Going into my interview I felt extremely confident. I feel that I aced 5 of my stations, 3 were good, 1 was OK and 1 OK to bad.

And here is some advice. Start early with regards to ECs! I took three years off after undergrad to gain some experience in my life! Throughout undergrad all I did was work and study. By the end I was an asocial idiot. Read books by many authors and do things out of your comfort zone. Get involved with groups and societies during undergrad and try to get leadership positions. My biggest regret in undergrad is that I didn't come out of my shell.

Prepare early for the interviews. I've seen the study that says practice may hinder performance on the MMI but for me at least, I think that is baloney. Practice went a long way in defeating my anxiety. Please send me a private message if you would like the name of the interview coach in Halifax/Annapolis Valley.

Sad Rejection :(

IP: Nova Scotia

GPA: Best most recent 2 full-time years: 3.67

first MCAT: 10/6/12

second MCAT: 10/10/9/M (9 was in Bio, was truly random!)

Nothing spectacular in EC: volunteer work, working part time, etc.

It must be the interview that got me.

Accepted!

IP

GPA: 3.8

Mcat: 30

EC: international volunteering, 3 years hospital volunteering, 5 years volunteer fire fighting, kids camps, tons of committee and fund raising stuff ect..

BscH and Masters in Public Health

Looking forward to meeting everyone, to those who didn't get in don't get discouraged, take the opportunity to do something you otherwise wouldn't have had the chance to!

Waitlisted.... bummer.

non-Maritime

GPA: 3.97 last three years

MCAT: 34

ECs: Tons of campus life stuff. Tons of research experience. Volunteer at hospital for 2.5 years.

I think Dal is my first choice, although Ottawa would be alright too.

Also, it sucks that where you are from can disadvantage/limit you so much. :(

Accepted!

IP-Nova Scotia

I applied and was rejected with a total score of 56.1 last year. I think that the last one off the NS waitlist had a 68. I'm going to go into detail with this because I hope it will help someone next year and I wish someone had done the same for me after my rejection last year.

GPA:3.73 last 3 years (11/15 on last year's score breakdown)

MCAT: 34R 12BS/10V/12PS (9/10 for last year's group)

Supplemental: (last year my score in this section was a 19.1/35. However, I don't know what the score was for each section of the supplemental)

Does this not conflict with our current thoughts that 34 was a perfect 10 in the mcat section? Yikes

hard to believe I get the chance to post this:

Accepted

New Brunswicker

cGPA: 3.75

Recent 2: 3.8

MCAT: 34

EC: nothing out of this world, just a variety of different things that show leadership, community work, compassion and personal interests.

Looking forward to meeting all of the other DMNB crew!

NB resident

Accepted

GPA best two years 3.7.5- 3.8ish?

MCAT: PS8 BS9 VR9 (second attempt)

EC: undergraduate research focusing on geriatric medicine, varsity athletics, part time job through out undergrad, lots of medically relavent experience (nursing science degree).

Interview- probably my greatest strength, enjoy public speaking, enjoy one on one interactions with others.

Note: I just wanted to provide some extra words of encouragement to those who have less than desirable grades and MCAT scores like myself. You can still get in! I have a cGPA of around 3.6 and I never took university physics or organic chemistry. In fact I taught myself both of those subjects last summer for the MCAT. I never took a formal MCAT course. My first attempt resulted in PS4 BS8 VR8. I applied to 5 schools this year, only received one interview, and one now acceptance :)

I agree with everything you said, MG2011! My mcat was 27O and GPA around 3.6 and I have also been accepted. I think for me, I have put most of my time and effort in to things I've done outside of the classroom and this in turn helped build interpersonal skills, which I think benefited me in the interview.

So don't be hard on yourself if you are applying with a below average academic score. You really can make up for it in other ways.

Congrats again to all the other acceptances and best of luck to those who are waitlisted, and to those who have more interviews to come. I was especially rooting for all of us IPs here on PM101... Best of luck to everyone.

Rejected

IP (NS resident)

First time applying

GPA: Overall: 3.02. Last two on OMSAS scale: 3.82

MCAT: 11ps 10v 10b M

EC's:One month physician shadowing in India is my only real clinical experience. Other than that: 8 month CIDA internship in Bhutan, years of travel/work/studies in Europe, Central America, USA, Asia. Years managing remote bush camps in northern Canada.

No Scholarships, publications, awards (other than Dean's List).

Congratulations to everyone who had the courage to apply! It is a grueling process indeed.

I really didn't expect this... this is my first year applying, and I've been accepted!

Applied: Dal, U of T, Western, Mac

Interview: Dal

Accepted: Dal

IP (Nova Scotia)

Currently in 2nd year of MSc

GPA: 3.8 (Grad school weighted formula - cGPA is around 3.55, best two years about 3.75)

MCAT: 33O (11/11/11)

EC's were nothing spectacular, and nothing 'typical' (never been to Africa, volunteered at a hospital, etc.), but I was dedicated with what I volunteered with, and plan to continue to volunteer with them. Lots of research experience (mainly clinical/epidemiology, various projects), a couple publications (one 1st author), a couple awards, and wrote/was awarded a CIHR operating grant (not PI, but 2nd name of 6) for a research project. I thought my essay was strong (big thanks to f_d for her edits... I will be returning the favour to next year's batch of essays).

I thought the interview was just 'ok' - some stations I felt really good about, others I felt were tough (either the question or the interviewer) and I didn't feel good about. The more time that passed from the interview, the worse I thought I did (typical, right?). All I can recommend is to stay calm and collected throughout all the stations - in talking with some friends who were interviewers, its not only what you say (obviously very important!), but how you say it.

This was my 3rd time applying to Dal and 3rd rejection. It was the only school I applied to.

IP (NS resident)

GPA: 3.7 last two years

MCAT: 28P (8/11/9)

ECs: Ungergrad honors thesis, pathology research, volunteered with children with disabilities, intramural and community sports clubs, various committees in undergrad, Canadian Blood Services, family physician shadowing. I've been employed as a lab tech in an NS hospital for two years so tons of experience with patients.

Interview: Overall I felt it went great. The prompts made it easy to come up with examples to support the points made in discussion. Stumbled at one or two stations but nothing disastrous.

After the results of this admissions cycle I've decided to pursue medical education in the Caribbean. Congrats to all those who were accepted and good luck if you're trying again next year!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a NS resident in (undergraduate) studies. My GPA was (3.9/4.0) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (10)

Verbal: (9)

Biological Sciences: (9)

Written Sample: (N)

I was (accepted) by Dalhousie. This is my (third) time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend (Dal Med School) as my first choice.

Yea!!! Dal Med here i come!!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm an NB resident, completed my undergrad in Geology in 2008. My GPA was (3.64/4.0) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (11)

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (11)

Written Sample: (P)

I was (waitlisted) by Dalhousie. This was my (first) time applying to this school.

Of all the schools I applied to, I'd like to attend (Memorial) as my first choice, but already got turned down there. Also considering Caribbean schools, even if it means practising in the States.

• 1 month later...

I'm an NS resident, completed my undergrad in 2011. My GPA was (~3.85/4.0) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (11)

Verbal: (7)

Biological Sciences: (10)

I was (wait listed and now accepted) by Dalhousie. This was my (first) time applying to this school.

Dal was the only school I applied to and of course will be accepting.

• 8 months later...

I'm a NB resident and I finished my BSc (Honours) in 2011. My GPA was 3.81/4 (best of 3 years) and my MCAT scores were:

Physical Sciences: (9)

Verbal: (10)

Biological Sciences: (9)

Written Sample: (P)

EC: honours thesis, publication (first author) and conferences/awards; 4 years of research in my field both work and volunteer; hospital volunteering; soccer coach for 2 years; various other short-term volunteer experiences

I was accepted by Dalhousie. This is my second time applying to this school - I was rejected last year (so the acceptance is doubly exciting!).

Dal is my first (and only) choice as I only applied here this year.