Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to May 15th

I'm planning on checking at 5 pm, all or nothing, like roulette :)

Hahahahahha I'm going to take friday off work and sit with my laptop, cellphone and fist full of prozac anxiously waiting for that horrid message :D j/k.

I'll take all that stuff with me to work :D

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the anxiety levels are going to be high for sure on May 15 and Murphy is probably all excited to be testing his laws on us that day...thats one part I really dont look forward to in such situations...

You know what's kind of creepy when you think about it?

Pretty much the class has already been picked. Probably at this point, they're just entering the information in and double checking it to make sure they are inviting the correct people initially. For those who get in that are "first picks", you're already accepted!

That's a weird thought eh?

I'd rather they all made the announcements on March 15, then the waitlist would also move faster and we'd know a lot sooner than a week before classes started. :-) (In the US all students have to have released seats at schools they don't plan to attend by May 15th, and thus the waitlist start to move very quickly.)

Less than 40 hours... less than 40 hours... less than 40 hours...

That reminds me... so what happens if you get waitlisted at your top-choice school, but get accepted at another? How long can you hold on to that acceptance without confirming/giving a deposit so you can hear from your top-choice about the waitlist?

That is my 2nd worse scenario I'm looking at for Friday (after getting rejected flat out from everyone, of course).

I'm assuming you probably have to give the deposit and then lose it if you withdraw to go somewhere else later. I consider $500 a small amount to lose to go to my top choice. Don't know for sure though.

That reminds me... so what happens if you get waitlisted at your top-choice school, but get accepted at another? How long can you hold on to that acceptance without confirming/giving a deposit so you can hear from your top-choice about the waitlist?

That is my 2nd worse scenario I'm looking at for Friday (after getting rejected flat out from everyone, of course).

4 years ago it was only 100 bucks deposit at the u of a...i certainly hope inflation hasn't gone that far,

Hate to do this to you, but directly from UofA's website:

Final Decisions: Notification 15 May 2009

Acceptances are provisional; one of the conditions is that the official transcript for courses just completed shows maintenance of an overall average of 3.3/4.0 for 4-Yr Alberta, 3.5/4.0 for Non-Alberta and 3.7/4.0 for the 2/3-Year pool converted to match the University of Alberta 4.0 scale. Applicants currently registered in a university or college is required to forward final transcripts as soon as possible after final examinations are completed, no later than June 15th.

Deposits:

All successful applicants are required to forward $1,000.00 deposit by the specified date on the notice of admission. Failure to do so may result in the position being assigned to the applicant listed first on the alternate list (The admissions committee maintains an alternate list, with applicants listed in rank order; applicants are not notified of their relative rank but may be drawn from this list at any time up to the start of classes). Such deposits will be applied to the first year's tuition fees. An applicant who accepts a position but later rescinds his/her acceptance will forfeit the entire $1,000.00 deposit.

http://www.med.ualberta.ca/education/ugme/admissions/dofm_selection.cfm

does anyone know what that "specified date" usually is? just curious.

2 weeks-ish if you want to push it to the limit. Most of the waitlist movement occurs after that, though. Deposit is 1000 @ u of a, 500 @ u of c, and is totally worth losing to go to your first choice.

gluck everybunny!

haha sorry for the mis information...i'm totally out of the loop!

Hate to do this to you, but directly from UofA's website:

Final Decisions: Notification 15 May 2009

Acceptances are provisional; one of the conditions is that the official transcript for courses just completed shows maintenance of an overall average of 3.3/4.0 for 4-Yr Alberta, 3.5/4.0 for Non-Alberta and 3.7/4.0 for the 2/3-Year pool converted to match the University of Alberta 4.0 scale. Applicants currently registered in a university or college is required to forward final transcripts as soon as possible after final examinations are completed, no later than June 15th.

Deposits:

All successful applicants are required to forward $1,000.00 deposit by the specified date on the notice of admission. Failure to do so may result in the position being assigned to the applicant listed first on the alternate list (The admissions committee maintains an alternate list, with applicants listed in rank order; applicants are not notified of their relative rank but may be drawn from this list at any time up to the start of classes). Such deposits will be applied to the first year's tuition fees. An applicant who accepts a position but later rescinds his/her acceptance will forfeit the entire $1,000.00 deposit.

http://www.med.ualberta.ca/education/ugme/admissions/dofm_selection.cfm

does anyone know what that "specified date" usually is? just curious.

Archived