Premed 101 Forums

Countdown to May 15th

ahhahahaah yea, I plan on starting working out in two weeks..... well the reason why I wasn't working out before was because of other stuff.... but in the next two weeks.... definitely... i'm going to start working out.

The biggest indicator of future behavior is past behavior and it's very easy to say you'll do something in the future.

Remember, there is no time like the present. If you're going to do something, why wait... just do it already.

I actually quit working out altogether in March...lol blamed on interview.

But since they opened kick ass new gym at my school, am going to take advantage of that before I graduate :-D

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not that anyone's counting:p

I keep telling myself I'm gonna get on the treadmill, but with me it depends on morning classes. I like to exercise before I shower in the morning, so these early classes are killing my routine. I am not getting up at 5 (too much of a night owl to go to bed early) and I don't like to go to school without showering. Guess it's just too low a priority to make time for it, since I seem to always have excuses :P

Agreed. Somehow Winogradsky columns fail to hold my interest (can't imagine why....:rolleyes: ).

Just from browsing other forums, apparently U of T dentistry acceptances are out. Anyone care to hazard a guess why theirs is so early (comparatively). Could be common knowledge on the boards already for all I know.

It seems like Memorial medicine acceptances are out too. Why can't they be the norm..? Waiting for 'the email' from any school would give me a perfect excuse to not study for finals. Now, I just look lazy :P

ETA: I went to the dentistry forum and am surprised that U of T dent tells you your spot on the waitlist. Damn how I envy those predents lol

I think that they should at least tell us before the last week of April. I have to leave school in Ontario and come back to Calgary not knowing where in the country I'm going to end up next year! Do I say bye to my friends/girl friend or what? What's more, I'm renting a great place out here, but my lease starts on May 1st - so I don't know whether or not I should sign it (I'm in 3rd yr so if I dont get in anywhere I'll come back to school in ON - I think I'll be able to work something out with the landlord). But on the other hand, if I did happen to get an acceptance before my exams, I wouldn't stress myself out with all-nighters and just take the grades I get sans study time, but then again if I got rejected before exams I would be a lot more motivated than I am right now to study.

So there's my rant.

So should med schools send out acceptances earlier than May 15th?

Yes, they should send it out earlier :) It makes exams less stressful, but it also substantially decreases your motivational to study lol (I'hv spent more time on this forum today than studying)... Hopefully I can still pass my classes to graduate (a necessary condition for acceptance :o )

Even if schools decide to release their notifications earlier, I do think it should be at a similar date/week -- to coordinate payments (unless the schools want a higher source of income, then I guess they dont have to do that)

MUN's deposit wasn't that much, so I guess that can get away with releasing their acceptances early

A good time to move the release date up to would be to the end of April instead of middle of May, that'll force some schools (i.e. Dalhousie) to not have interviews in middle of undergrad examination period!

Lol, as if anyone on these forums would support a later date given a choice:p

It would be interesting to have a first hand insight to the process to see exactly what takes so long. Of course, they can't provide that without ruining it, but as generally inquisitive people I think a lot of premeds and even med students would find the reasons why interesting.

On the other hand, since no one knows no one can critique their process. So why would they open themselves to criticism?

I'm sure that most of the schools have their list by now, the date is probably just arbitrary and longer than it needs to be so that there is less pressure on the staff and so that all the schools have ample time to get their decisions in order in case of something going wrong.

It also gives a chance for those schools that interviewed in April time to catch up. Calgary has over a month longer than Mac, for example, to get their list ready. Still though, with the advent of MMIs and standardized scoring where they don't need to deliberate over each candidate, the decision making process is easier and acceptances should go out well ahead of May 15th.

One month and a day to go!!!!!!!!!! (just in case I forget tomorrow:D )

I have to say I'm a little thankful for the wait. After my interviews I loved the schools soooo much and I wanted to go there soooo bad but now that I've had to wait to find out, I've kind of lost that feeling and I'm more at peace with whatever happens...the feeling's not lost, it's just not as fresh as it was when I was there in the moment...you know what I mean:rolleyes:

hehe..but ask me again on May 15th...I might be full of crap:p

One month and a day to go!!!!!!!!!! (just in case I forget tomorrow:D )

I have to say I'm a little thankful for the wait. After my interviews I loved the schools soooo much and I wanted to go there soooo bad but now that I've had to wait to find out, I've kind of lost that feeling and I'm more at peace with whatever happens...the feeling's not lost, it's just not as fresh as it was when I was there in the moment...you know what I mean:rolleyes:

hehe..but ask me again on May 15th...I might be full of crap:p

Just wait til you get to round 2. You just don't care, lol.

If they worked relatively hard and had a decent computer program to scan all the MMI scores to the certain applicant, they could have everything done within a week, easily. It probably has something to do with money

Agreed. McGill IP had their interviews the last week of March and had their decisions out on April 7th. And their interview format was also MMI. It's definitely do-able. I have no idea why it takes the rest of the schools so damn long to decide.

Agreed. McGill IP had their interviews the last week of March and had their decisions out on April 7th. And their interview format was also MMI. It's definitely do-able. I have no idea why it takes the rest of the schools so damn long to decide.

Always thought it had something to do with verifying references etc. They don't hire extra staff to do it, so you have one/two office person 500 applicants.....

Just a guess though.

they have to read all of the onsite essays for the 550 applicants, contact verifiers, etc...it's a lot more than just scoring the MMI forms.

They could just contact verifiers before the interview to solve that problem.

On site essay is a problem, but it's probably a lot like MCAT essay--everyone's is read and graded in less than 10 minutes. Get a few people doing this for a week and you could getter done

would you rather have them spend the time to do it properly and avoid mistakes, or do a rush job and be upset when you didn't get in because someone missed something on your file?

if you want to know the real reason it's may 15th? - blame the U of T & ontario. that was their official release date and the rest of the country followed suit.

would you rather have them spend the time to do it properly and avoid mistakes, or do a rush job and be upset when you didn't get in because someone missed something on your file?

if you want to know the real reason it's may 15th? - blame the U of T & ontario. that was their official release date and the rest of the country followed suit.

How come McGill and Memorial are earlier then? All I'm saying is that if other schools can do it, I don't see why the rest can't.

In any case, ONE MONTH TO GO!!!!!

Archived