Premed 101 Forums

Not sure what to do. Need advice.

What are you saying now cling? do you disagree with some rural programs that are put into place here in Canada? There is a difference between diversifying for the sake of diversity and diversifying for the sake of increasing medical availability and accessibility in Canada (based on its demographics).

It was not the society who decided that NOSM should be only open to people of rural background. It really wasn't.

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/reprint/178/3/322?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=rural+admissions&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=10&sortspec=date&resourcetype=HWCIT

You never went to the polls and said, we want rural docs with such and such applicants getting in. No. It is a result of an ongoing effort of professionals who deemed it a promissing solution to the accessibility problem. Is it? We'll see.

In summary,the society doesn't influence medicine. Medicine responds to the needs of the society in ways which the profession finds appropriate. Society has zero control over the medical profession. It is what defines a profession. Self-regulated.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It was not the society who decided that NOSM should be only open to people of rural background. It really wasn't.

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/reprint/178/3/322?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&fulltext=rural+admissions&andorexactfulltext=and&searchid=1&FIRSTINDEX=10&sortspec=date&resourcetype=HWCIT

You never went to the polls and said, we want rural docs with such and such applicants getting in. No. It is a result of an ongoing effort of professionals who deemed it a promissing solution to the accessibility problem. Is it? We'll see.

In summary,the society doesn't influence medicine. Medicine responds to the needs of the society in ways which the profession finds appropriate. Society has zero control over the medical profession. It is what defines a profession. Self-regulated.

First:

NOSM isn't quite the right example for your argument. Why?

a) The school has a mandate to train doctors that will serve all types of N. ON communities (rural, remote, and urban). NOSM interviews candidate from all these different types locations. For instance, Thunder Bay and Sudbury are considered "Northern, urban", since they are cities.

B) There's much community involvment at NOSM. I encourage you to explore their website if you don't believe me.

Second:

Society and communities can influence health care decisions, if they so choose to get involved. A simple example is all the small communities that protest having their small hospitals closed. There's also political pressure to make sure enough physicians are being trained to address the shortages. Health care is very important to many Canadians, and I'm certain that the party that puts out a platform for decent health care spending does get their attention and, perhaps, even their vote.

That's just a simplistic post of a complex process, but I had to put it out there :)

cling lets just say that I really hope you do not get into medicine... that would be a very sad day... if you end up going to the same medical school as I do (I'm SWOMEN and a health sci so I think my chances are ridiculously good at getting in here) I will try very hard to expose who you are because I think you should be accountable for your behaviour on here as it is far from professional...

oh May 15... 8 more days of torture

I think that's why so many people here are frustrated - the fact that GPA is pretty much the dominant factor coupled with rampant grade inflation at Mac HS.

Exactly. It is not just Mac Health Sci, but as Descartes mentions, there is a couple of other programs as well. Just not as extreme as health sci.

Guest viscous
Interview offers to these schools are not that mysterious, at least compared to US schools. At MAC, when I was there in my last few years, a GPA >3.85 and a 1/2 decent answer to the multi-question submission would almost guarantee an interview. Of course the submission was subjectively marked - but if you did not get an interview with a good GPA, you knew your submission sucked. The bio sketch did not matter. In the US, your alma mater, your non-sci GPA, your volunteer exp could have all sunk you - and you would never know what did.

At UofT, it is almost all marks. GPA >3.88 usually guarantees an interview for undergrads with a decent essay. <3.83 - better have an amazing essay, or you will not get an interview. UOTTAWA is almost all marks - depending on status. French candidates do have it easier - but the french communities in eastern and northern ontario do need doctors that can actually talk to them in their own language. Some towns, like Hearst, are >90% french.

MSc applicants at UofT and UOttawa are another matter, but I digress.

UOttawa is not all about marks, at least for out-of-ottawa students. it was similar thinking to yours on my part that led to much depression. UOttawa is about marks and autobiographical sketch quality and quantity (in terms of long term commitment).

cling lets just say that I really hope you do not get into medicine... that would be a very sad day... if you end up going to the same medical school as I do (I'm SWOMEN and a health sci so I think my chances are ridiculously good at getting in here) I will try very hard to expose who you are because I think you should be accountable for your behaviour on here as it is far from professional...

I don't necessarily agree with cling..but ^^ why I am not friends with premeds.

He didn't really insult anyone maybe straddling the line, but not flat out trolling. He is just raising points and beginning a discussion.

LOL! Unless you're Chris Hansen, and this is Dateline NBC.... I'm pretty sure no one cares about being exposed for what they say on the internet... :P

This post is a little extreme. I don't see why anyone would have ill wishes for another because of differing viewpoints. Good luck trying to "expose" him lol:confused:

It's funny how a select few can turn a thread into a "Health Sci bashing" one. I'm glad you few found a scapegoat to compensate for your personal setbacks and inadequacies. I truly hope it provides you comfort.

It's funny how a select few can turn a thread into a "Health Sci bashing" one. I'm glad you few found a scapegoat to compensate for your personal setbacks and inadequacies. I truly hope it provides you comfort.

what are you talking about? this thread is no longer about the OP

no one is getting exposed here. especially not baby girl.

oh gosh you guys need to go out and get laid... brutal...

its ok guys... dont hate... COLLABORATE :P

I'm gonna go out downtown london and drink away my worries about may 15... Adam I know you are a Londoner... so I'll see you on Richmond Row? :P

and to all those who think I may have a thing for cling... thats gross... hes probably just one of those huge nerds who have to overcompensate for their lack of confidence outside of the internet world...

and no one needs to expose me... anyone who wants to know who I am thats fine I am not afraid to let ppl know who I am

oh gosh you guys need to go out and get laid... brutal...

its ok guys... dont hate... COLLABORATE :P

I'm gonna go out downtown london and drink away my worries about may 15... Adam I know you are a Londoner... so I'll see you on Richmond Row? :P

and to all those who think I may have a thing for cling... thats gross... hes probably just one of those huge nerds who have to overcompensate for their lack of confidence outside of the internet world...

and no one needs to expose me... anyone who wants to know who I am thats fine I am not afraid to let ppl know who I am

wow... these threads really bring out the worst in people. Well I guess the internet is where people really show what kind of people they are.

Guess its that time of year. People get really short tempered right around may 15th.

Archived