Premed 101 Forums

purpose of life?

I've stumbled over this question recently and have been searching for an answer. Don't you guys think, when we get to a certain age, this question is inevitable as we struggle with directions of life and what we want to accomplish in our life?

I know many of us are set for med, but it is not the ultimate purpose of our life, neither can wealth or fame be. So, why are we here for? What will we leave to the world when we die? Does it make a difference if I were not born into this world?

I'm looking for serious replies because I'm being very serious here. I wonder if you guys have ever come to think of this question. If you have, do you simply let it go since you couldn't figure an answer? I don't want to live my life without knowing what I will accomplish ultimately and why I am here for.

This is not a philosophical question. I hope to hear your true thoughts.

I think that many people do end up just pushing this question to the recesses of their minds.

I know that life is about more than the hamster wheel. Its about more than physical gratification.

Your question makes me think of this stacie orrico song oddly enough:

I've got it all, but I feel so deprived

I go up, I come down and I'm emptier inside

Tell me what is this thing that I feel like I'm missing

And why can't I let it go

CHORUS:

There's gotta be more to life...

Than chasing down every temporary high to satisfy me

Cause the more that I'm...

Trippin' out thinkin' there must be more to life

Well it's life, but I'm sure... There's gotta be more

(Than wanting more)

I've got the time and I'm wasting it slowly

Here in this moment I'm half-way out the door

Onto the next thing, I'm searching for something that's missing

CHORUS

I'm wanting more

I'm always waiting on something other than this

Why am I feelin' like there's something I missed....

Always... Always...

I don't think this is a controversial topic lol, everyone will have their own answer to this, there is hardly a wrong answer.

Save writing an essay the question I'm grappling with now is that I just have many interests, and very weary of committing to only one.

For me I think life is about betterment, both personal and public, striking a balance between bettering yourself and helping/bettering others/society, figuring out when the two are in tension and when they can happen at the same time.

I don't think this is a controversial topic lol, everyone will have their own answer to this, there is hardly a wrong answer.

QUOTE]

Until some narrow minded person think they have the right answer that is :)

I am pretty much in line with AdamP. I want to feel this life had purpose by the end, that the impact was positive.

if there was a higher purpose to everything, chances are we as a species will never have the cognitive ability to perceive it.

so, seeing as I'll never know the answer, I don't care to keep searching. Might as well spend my time solving things that I can perceive the answer to

Aside from the biological purpose of an organism..because we're so anthrocentric:

Happiness. Like someone said, whatever makes you happy. For some, it's getting a well-paying job and grinding away for the rest of their life until they retire. For me, I'm looking for more. It's all about preference, and you can't really judge those who don't 'achieve' or 'desire' as much as you do in life. I think most people here having a 'higher' expectation and purpose for themselves than the average person.

Is the purpose of life to ask what is the purpose of life? Is the purpose of life to answer those who ask what is the purpose of life? Is the purpose of life to read the question and the answers to the question what is the purpose of life? Is the purpose of death to complete the ultimate answer to the question of the purpose of life?

Is the purpose of life to ask what is the purpose of life? Is the purpose of life to answer those who ask what is the purpose of life? Is the purpose of life to read the question and the answers to the question what is the purpose of life? Is the purpose of death to complete the ultimate answer to the question of the purpose of life?

Future_doc FTW.

The meaning of life is simply 42. Haven't you read Douglas Adams' work? :)

All kidding aside, I think you have to give your own life some meaning. Life itself has no inherent meaning. Look at the animal world; it's a constant 3 step process: birth, sex, and death. Is there "meaning" in that? You can choose to spend your whole life on the streets begging for money, or you can choose to make a difference to the people around you, and maybe leave the world a little bit better than when you found it. I'd like to think that the latter is a much better choice.

Down to our bare minimum, we're only 3 pounds of fat, water, and neurons trying to understand a seemingly infinite universe. It would be much too vain and self-centric to think that we could possibly know the meaning of life. To me, it's much like an ant trying to understand how Calculus works. It simply doesn't work. No matter how hard we try.

Be happy. Do crazy things. Live like everyday it's your last. That's the meaning of life to me.

Archived