Premed 101 Forums

Canada

im not targeting anyone but just wanted to throw this idea out there:

i hate people who say they're "canadian" by nationality... no one is "canadian" by nationality because every person in canada at one point or another has immigrated from another country. ive always considered aboriginals the true "canadians" by nationality

anyways, unless you're aboriginal, you're only canadian by citizenship

im not targeting anyone but just wanted to throw this idea out there:

i hate people who say they're "canadian" by nationality... no one is "canadian" by nationality because every person in canada at one point or another has immigrated from another country. ive always considered aboriginals the true "canadians" by nationality

anyways, unless you're aboriginal, you're only canadian by citizenship

Doesn't really bother me, although I understand where you're coming from.

Being of Canadian nationality is much more than just a matter of being here first.

True, to me being Canadian is not just living on the land we call Canada, but the uniting of all types of backgrounds of people under one political system. Canada is made of its people, before we were all united there was no 'Canada' only land with the 'first' inhabitants.

I disagree with this. Nation and nationality imply a shared history, culture, language, etc. In pre-European times, the Aboriginal population consisted of many distinct nations across North America (hence the term First Nations today). A single nation of Canada did not exist.

By your definition, are only the First Nations and Inuit peoples of Canadian nationality? What about the Metis? And what about those people whose Canadian roots go back as they can trace? When they share a common history, language, and culture developed in Canada... are they not Canadian by nationality?

Some of our ancestors crossed the Atlantic by boat, while others crossed by Bering Straight during the ice age. Regardless, being of Canadian nationality is much more than just a matter of being here first.

I think that was very well said. All people living in Canada enjoy the rights and freedoms that come from living here. We all have cause to celebrate on Canada Day.

I disagree with this. Nation and nationality imply a shared history, culture, language, etc. In pre-European times, the Aboriginal population consisted of many distinct nations across North America (hence the term First Nations today). A single nation of Canada did not exist.

By your definition, are only the First Nations and Inuit peoples of Canadian nationality? What about the Metis? And what about those people whose Canadian roots go back as they can trace? When they share a common history, language, and culture developed in Canada... are they not Canadian by nationality?

Some of our ancestors crossed the Atlantic by boat, while others crossed by Bering Straight during the ice age. Regardless, being of Canadian nationality is much more than just a matter of being here first.

by aboriginals i meant all of the tribes not just inuit. but most people have a certain "look" that is characteristic of that nationality. for example, hispanic or middle eastern having dark skin, asians having black hair (most of the time) etc...

i don't really see a characteristic "look" with canadians (aside from being caucasian, and originating from europe) because canada is like a fruit bowl (or whatever the term is, as opposed to the USA's "melting pot"). canada is essentially made up of a variety of different nationalities

by aboriginals i meant all of the tribes not just inuit. but most people have a certain "look" that is characteristic of that nationality. for example, hispanic or middle eastern having dark skin, asians having black hair (most of the time) etc...

i don't really see a characteristic "look" with canadians (aside from being caucasian, and originating from europe) because canada is like a fruit bowl (or whatever the term is, as opposed to the USA's "melting pot"). canada is essentially made up of a variety of different nationalities

People think I look aboriginal all the time. Does that mean I'm aboriginal? :P

Spreading the love...why can't we all just be friends? :P

<3 <3 <3 <3

WHY CAN"T WE BE FRIENDS

WHY CAN"T WE BE FRIENDS

(more quietly)

WHY CAN"T WE BE FRIENDS

(quietly, with determination)

why can't we be friendssssssssssssssssssss

<3 <3 <3 <3

WHY CAN"T WE BE FRIENDS

WHY CAN"T WE BE FRIENDS

(more quietly)

WHY CAN"T WE BE FRIENDS

(quietly, with determination)

why can't we be friendssssssssssssssssssss

Law,

For that, you can be my friend :)

Haha!

Haly

Haly's my BFF now.

You know i did think of that. This same converation occured in a different thread. Some guy used aboriginals, got corrected to aboriginal peoples, and then to Aboriginal peoples. but if you notice dont capitalize or use apostrophes. I also really abuse hyphens. Check my history to confirm.

Also I type fast and make a lot of mistakes - 95% of my posts have edits.

Don't bother looking at his post history, the evidence is right here. ;) ;) :)

Archived