Premed 101 Forums

Sept 3, anyone anyone?

LostLamb

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey everyone,

Just wondering what the "N" meant beside "Non-Standard Conditions" on your score report (if you had that letter)? I'm thinking it means Non-standard but not too sure about this...

N means that you operated under non-standard conditions (N for non). I would advise against releasing this type of score to medical admission committee, since it looks irregular. It indicates that you took too long on your break or that you did not follow the test-day procedures. You may want to appeal to AMCAS as it happened to me once because I was accused of letting the briefing screen go on for too long.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/mcatessentials.pdf provides the methods for re-scoring and appeals.

If you wish to use this service, please write to:

Attention: MCAT Rescoring Service

Association of American Medical Colleges

2450 N Street, N.W.

Washington, D.C. 20037-1127

In order for AAMC staff to process or respond to requests for rescoring, your letter must include: Your full name AAMC ID number Mailing address Telephone number E-mail address Date of test Sections of the test you wish rescored—either the three multiple-choice sections and/or the Writing Sample Explanation for why you feel rescoring is necessary Check, money order, or credit card information (MasterCard or VISA 16-digit card number, expiration date, and amount) for the full fee. If you are paying by credit card, you must also provide your signature. Checks and money orders should be made payable in U.S. funds to the Association of American Medical Colleges.

Good luck

~Pedo

And I assume the Y would stand for "Yandard Conditions"???

In case you hadn't noticed, pedo is trolling yet again...sigh some things never change.

there is no Y, just N and S

if you have N then you should start worrying

here's mine

mcat.png

As LostLamb said, nothing to worry about.

Here is the e-mail response I got from the AAMC about "non-standard" conditions.

"Non-standard" testing conditions refers specifically to special accommodations examinees have received under the American with Disabilities Act. If you have submitted an official test center concern within the timeframe specified in the MCAT Essentials and we have confirmed a disruption in your test center, we will provide a letter to you, which you may then provide to the institutions that will receive your MCAT scores. We neither provide any notation (such as an asterisk or other mark) on the score report for test center irregularities, nor do we make any adjustment to MCAT scores for confirmed disruptions.

Warm Regards,

Blake

The MCAT Resource Center

Association of American Medical Colleges 2450 N. St. NW Washington DC 20037

General Inquiries: 202-828-0690

http://www.aamc.org/mcat

It says "N" on mine too; I'm guessing it means "No". (Yes/No "Y/N") So N would mean your conditions were standard/not non-standard.

Well I never filed a complaint/rescoring request/requested for special accomodations though there were some issues at my test center the day of my MCAT and the administrators at the test center themselves notified AAMC about these issues so I'm assuming that's where the N is coming from.

This guy is the true. S is for standard. All my tests have been S.

I think they only use "N" and "Y" for standard and non-standard conditions, respectively. I wrote the exam the first time under non-standard conditions (extra time on the writing section due to a broken hand/cast on wrist) and it says "Y" for non-standard....the second time I wrote under standard conditions and it says "N".

So no need to worry for those with a "N".

I think they only use "N" and "Y" for standard and non-standard conditions, respectively. I wrote the exam the first time under non-standard conditions (extra time on the writing section due to a broken hand/cast on wrist) and it says "Y" for non-standard....the second time I wrote under standard conditions and it says "N".

So no need to worry for those with a "N".

Y is for graduate student. Have you tried submitting yet with that N that you got? If they give you hard time this may be because of it.

Y is for graduate student. Have you tried submitting yet with that N that you got? If they give you hard time this may be because of it.

lol....the "N" and "Y" I was referring to pertains to the previous posts in the thread about non-standard testing conditions as reported on your MCAT scores. "N" = not non-standard; "Y" = non-standard

I was not referring to the writing section scores....a score of "N" on the writing section would certainly have me worried as well :)

Never knew one letter could cause so many interpretations lol but I called AAMC today and the person stated that N = No which means that if you have an N beside "Non-standard conditions" it means you took it under standard conditions =)

• 2 weeks later...
Im really questioning my sanity on choosing to write this. I decided to write the MCAT on a whim and that was a week and a half ago. So in essence I will have studied for the MCAT for approximately 2.5 weeks. GAH. Im pretty well kicking myself for this atm. :(

lol - i am in the same boat - i have been working all summer and only have had four weeks off to really study. But meh, if i have to write it again i will. The question is,why the heck would you decide the write the MCAT 'on a whim'? I have been avoiding it all these years and still do not want to write

Archived