Premed 101 Forums

fad

mattg

What made getting into med school such a fad in recent years?... shows like ER/gray's anatomy? the increasingly elite status as it gets more difficult (although that's somewhat circular)?

i actually think it has a lot to do with shows like you mentioned. no one can deny the power of the media in influencing our thoughts and decisions. i think that when people watch these shows, they become enthralled by the drama that encircles many of the main characters. i think they are tempted to believe that medicine would be much like that in reality. totally false.

i remember reading an article almost four years ago about medical dramas. it asked physicians to rank which shows most closely mimicked the reality of practicing medicine. most if not all physician responded ER created by Micheal Crichton (who graduated harvard med). even with this, physicians indicated that most if not all med dramas were completely off the mark.

i am sure there are other reasons. probably the biggest one is ultimate job security. with the majority of jobs in the primary and secondary sectors dwindling, and relative instability of most service jobs (oil and gas and the boom bust cycle) many people are looking to become a healthcare professional.

you raise a good point. it would actually be interesting to research this question.

I'm not sure why you think it's a recent fad. When I did my first degree in the dark ages, people were flocking to medicine then too.

Do you have numbers that show an increase in the absolute number of people applying/number of people in all areas of post secondary education? I'm sincerely curious since I'll admit I never looked at the stats when I was applying.

I wasn't aware that it was a fad.

It may be that the number of people who want to be doctors has stayed the same (or increased slightly) but the opportunity to pursue this goal has increased. More people are seeking post-secondary education for undergraduate degrees. Maybe more people in undergrad leads to more people not giving up their med school dream leads to more applicants?

I honestly think the roots of it start out in highschool. Science teachers pick out their smartest students in their classes and encourage them to become "doctors" because they simply associate medicine with being smart and don't know any other professions for the sciences. This ideology is then planted in the student's mind and flourishes as they pursue it.

I think many people in the first year aim for medicine for job security, relatively decent salary, status etc without fully understanding the demands of the job and the requirements to get in. That's why when the prof asks the class of 200+ students in beginner Chemistry course of who here is aiming for medicine, you see all the hands in the air. But in third year or fourth year science programs, you begin to see the decrease in class size and meet more people who are interested in academic research rather than medicine.

Maybe the limited spots offered by med school comparing to the number of applicant each year also make it seem a bit like a fad?

I think many people in the first year aim for medicine for job security, relatively decent salary, status etc without fully understanding the demands of the job and the requirements to get in. That's why when the prof asks the class of 200+ students in beginner Chemistry course of who here is aiming for medicine, you see all the hands in the air. But in third year or fourth year science programs, you begin to see the decrease in class size and meet more people who are interested in academic research rather than medicine.

Maybe the limited spots offered by med school comparing to the number of applicant each year also make it seem a bit like a fad?

the people who say "you know what, i wanted to do medicine in the beginning but later down the road found more interest in academic research" are bsing the real story about how they got garbage grades in their first two years and are well aware that med school is out of the picture. this is not true to all people of course but a good chunk.

the people who say "you know what, i wanted to do medicine in the beginning but later down the road found more interest in academic research" are bsing the real story about how they got garbage grades in their first two years and are well aware that med school is out of the picture. this is not true to all people of course but a good chunk.

Perhaps YOU are the one with a god complex. So what if someone started off wanting to do meds and then switched to academic research due to low grades? Maybe thats what it took for them to realize that they aren't cut out for it (which is perfectly fine). Should we, if accepted, spit on them as we crush them under our heels (or so your post makes it seem)?

Tone down your attitude and dont belittle others

thats stupid, i've met lots of Phd's who really liked what they were doing and just didn't want to work 80 hours a week in residency. I'm in medicine and realize i would have much preferred working in investing/banking or academia, don't get me wrong, medicine's all right to me, at least a few specialties, I'll probably work part time when I'm done, but there are definitely other things out there that are more interesting to different people.

i enjoy belittling doctors with this sort of attitude, i don't really look up to physicians just for the sake of being a physician, i look up to special people for who they are, and if they happen to be a physician so be it... to be honest the physicians with the god complex don't realize that they put up with 80 hours a week of blood, ****, and guts, people screaming at them, a poor home life, and chronic stress... and for what, an MD and a six figure salary... it's called i-banking

Perhaps YOU are the one with a god complex. So what if someone started off wanting to do meds and then switched to academic research due to low grades? Maybe thats what it took for them to realize that they aren't cut out for it (which is perfectly fine). Should we, if accepted, spit on them as we crush them under our heels (or so your post makes it seem)?

Tone down your attitude and dont belittle others

I believe mattg wanted to create a thread so he can feel good about himself. I suspect he will turn out to be one of those kinds of Doctors with a god complex.

I can definitely see how asking about a perceived trend is indicative of both low self esteem and the desire for unbridled control.

I've only been in Canada for 18 months but for how long has medicine been competitive? (ie. acceptance rate of, say, <30%)
I don't have the answer to this, but I was talking to a doctor the other day, and he basically said that 30 years ago you needed to have a B+ average and only pass the MCAT to be competitive. It's really interesting how times have changed.

I don't have the answer to this, but I was talking to a doctor the other day, and he basically said that 30 years ago you needed to have a B+ average and only pass the MCAT to be competitive. It's really interesting how times have changed.

To add to this- my family doc who went to med school in the 70's said that when he took the mcat it was considered a bit of a joke. People didn't study for it and it was not taken seriously... As your score didn't matter.

$, Job security, social prestige, and connection between smart people in class = medicine seem to be some of the main reasons for medicine.

My mom decided between becoming a pianist versus medicine but eventually chose medicine b/c her guidance counsellor told her that she can get into medical school with her grades and that she won't be able to make much money as a musician.

And I definitely agree that it is getting more and more competitive. I mean look at U of T's statistics. 10 years ago (2002), the average GPA as in the low 3.8ish but now the AVERAGE is 3.9. Who knows if the average GPA is going to be 4.0 in year 2020??

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/statistics.htm

Archived