Premed 101 Forums

Med school clothing

carolynH

I'm over them now that I see them everywhere. I hear they are really good quality backpacks. If I used one, it would be for that purpose. I imagine there are some people who feel high-and-mighty wearing it around, but I suppose people are allowed to feel whatever they want so it doesn't bother me. It did several years ago. Maybe I'm growing up.

---> this is probably better suited for the Lounge.

The standard knapsack is pretty high quality (which was good as my old one blew up after 4 years of UG).

A lot of schools use the school clothing as a fund raiser for class events/charity drives. Actually it is the main fund raiser at Schulich for the class councils.

but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it if I were in med school. As the matter of fact, some of my parents' friends who are doctors actually prefer not to use the Dr. title if they don't have to. They, except one, never use "Dr. x" when making reservations in their regular restaurants or booking a trip, and they don't want an MD license plate for their cars. The one who prefers to use his Dr. title outside of his office always seemed to be looked down upon by the rest of that group of friends. One time he arrived at a gathering in his new Mercedes wearing a matching Mercedes t-shirt. I remember the rest of the group looked at each other with a smirk on their face.

but I wouldn't feel comfortable using it if I were in med school. As the matter of fact, some of my parents' friends who are doctors actually prefer not to use the Dr. title if they don't have to. They, except one, never use "Dr. x" when making reservations in their regular restaurants or booking a trip, and they don't want an MD license plate for their cars. The one who prefers to use his Dr. title outside of his office always seemed to be looked down upon by the rest of that group of friends. One time he arrived at a gathering in his new Mercedes wearing a matching Mercedes t-shirt. I remember the rest of the group looked at each other with a smirk on their face.

I think that's unnecessary judging. After 8+ years of school, what they do with their income and title is up to the individual.

i'd personally feel uncomfortable using the title dr outside the office, but i guess it's different strokes for different folks

I think that's unnecessary judging. After 8+ years of school, what they do with their income and title is up to the individual.

i'd personally feel uncomfortable using the title dr outside the office, but i guess it's different strokes for different folks

I wouldn't use "DR" outside of clinic/hospital; and probably not even there... one of my favorite doctors introduces themselves as "(first name), a doctor working here in the ER"

Yea, I feel the same way but I was just making a point that there's no necessity to judge. There isn't really any reason to refer to your profession outside the office/hospital.

During undergrad I never thought about the backpacks since I'd never see one. Now that I'm around med students all the time, the backpacks are everywhere. I'd wear one, since I need a new backpack. But I don't really care for all the advertisment stuff on them. I'd cover that up with buttons or patches or something.

yeah, i'd prefer that too, but i've talked to a few docs who said to tailor it to each patient, as some elderly/more traditional people prefer you keep a professional distance, i suppose it depends on the situation in the clinic/hospital

I wouldn't use "DR" outside of clinic/hospital; and probably not even there... one of my favorite doctors introduces themselves as "(first name), a doctor working here in the ER"

yeah, i'd prefer that too, but i've talked to a few docs who said to tailor it to each patient, as some elderly/more traditional people prefer you keep a professional distance, i suppose it depends on the situation in the clinic/hospital

Oh yes; of course, same way you don't call your patients by their first name unless that's okay with them :)

Archived