Premed 101 Forums

The Official May 13 Countdown Thread

I've got a widget on my desktop that says may 13th is 56 days 14h 15m away!

Granted, that is the countdown to 12am on may 13th... So we should probably add an extra 12 hours to that so about 57d 2hr left.

I'm going to use that countdown as a piece of my fitness routine- 57 days to reach my goal!

You'll have to share with us your fitness regimen if it's effective. I'm training for a half-marathon and I'm a newbie so I can use all the help I can get :)

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You'll have to share with us your fitness regimen if it's effective. I'm training for a half-marathon and I'm a newbie so I can use all the help I can get :)

haha, well I'll tell you my goal...

I want to lose about 15lbs by May 13th. That's about two pounds per week for 8 weeks... very doable, but I have to put the work in.

The plan is relatively simple... I'm going to continue to eat healthy, but monitor my calories a bit more carefully and workout 4-5 times per week and hope to have about a 7000 calorie deficit each week. I'm using the spartacus 2.0 workout that menshealth brought out. It's simple, full body and really intense. It uses exercises that are based on functional fitness movements which is key for me and I did it two nights ago (well 75% of it, I had a bit of a time constraint) and I burned 600 calories in 36 minutes, plus another 200 in the 20 minutes following the routine... I figure if I work hard at it I'll kick around 800 calories in the 48 minute workout plus another 200-300 in the 20 minutes following (stretching/recovery)...

I've trained for a couple half marathons on my end... if you put the time in you can do it! The general rule of thumb is- 3 short runs (about 30 minutes long at a pace that you can keep running for that entire time) and a distance run on sundays where you run about 30-45s slower than your race pace to help build the muscle memory and endurance up. You'll get into more complex workouts like hill training, interval training, sprints etc, but for the most part if you follow the most basic 3 runs + 1 distance run you'll be able to slog your way through a half.

Good luck!

I want to lose about 15lbs by May 13th. That's about two pounds per week for 8 weeks... very doable, but I have to put the work in.

The plan is relatively simple... I'm going to continue to eat healthy, but monitor my calories a bit more carefully and workout 4-5 times per week and hope to have about a 7000 calorie deficit each week. I'm using the spartacus 2.0 workout that menshealth brought out. It's simple, full body and really intense. It uses exercises that are based on functional fitness movements which is key for me and I did it two nights ago (well 75% of it, I had a bit of a time constraint) and I burned 600 calories in 36 minutes, plus another 200 in the 20 minutes following the routine... I figure if I work hard at it I'll kick around 800 calories in the 48 minute workout plus another 200-300 in the 20 minutes following (stretching/recovery)...

I've trained for a couple half marathons on my end... if you put the time in you can do it! The general rule of thumb is- 3 short runs (about 30 minutes long at a pace that you can keep running for that entire time) and a distance run on sundays where you run about 30-45s slower than your race pace to help build the muscle memory and endurance up. You'll get into more complex workouts like hill training, interval training, sprints etc, but for the most part if you follow the most basic 3 runs + 1 distance run you'll be able to slog your way through a half.

Good luck!

Hey Hking,

Thanks for your tips!!! I'm definitely going to try out your routine and see how it goes...Good luck in your efforts :)

Spicy

I'm using the spartacus 2.0 workout that menshealth brought out. It's simple, full body and really intense. Good luck!

Remember months ago when I was talking about my workout routine and you said that I should checkout some stuff... etc. etc.

That was the workout I was doing then :P

It's soooo sweet. I was doing a movie workout season. After I finished the spartacus routine I moved to the 300 workout the next month.

I've used one of Hal Higdon's programs for all my half-marathons and full marathons. He has programs for all different levels and I found them to be really effective.

Here's his novice half program: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/novice.htm

I like his programs because they incorporate stretching, strengthening and cross-training. :) I've done over a dozen halfs and four full marathons with his various programs (used his novice half program for my very first half and had a very successful race).

Good luck! :) Running is such an amazing way to get and stay fit, and there is nothing like the feeling of success you get upon finishing a long race like a half or full!

Remember months ago when I was talking about my workout routine and you said that I should checkout some stuff... etc. etc.

That was the workout I was doing then :P

It's soooo sweet. I was doing a movie workout season. After I finished the spartacus routine I moved to the 300 workout the next month.

Yeah, I tried the original spartacus workout back when it first came out. I quite enjoyed it, but I was also paying for personal training sessions through Innovative Fitness so I was more invested in that.

I wanted to try the 300 workout, but haven't gotten around to it yet. For the longest time I've wanted to go to Utah to meet the guys at Gym Jones... they were the ones that trained the stars for 300. Apparently, they are an offshoot of CrossFit, and it makes sense as the gym they use is bare bones, nothing fancy just mats and some weights and rings/ropes. One day I'll get my ass down there and stand on the porch to be invited in. Did I mention that... you have to be invited in... it's like fight club.

I'm going to stick with Spartacus for a few weeks, see how it goes... throw some extra stuff on it. Try and cut a few pounds off the old frame here. I'm really bummed that I don't have any distance runs planned this year... but I think it's a blessing in disguise as my hip/IT band was bugging me and now the pain has all but disappeared... I'll give it a couple more weeks before I try and run anything substantial, but it does feel a lot better now that I've rested a bit.

My fitness goals and med school notification mesh nicely together so the countdown is on for those two things... just over 7 weeks ladies and germs... fun flies when you're doin' time!

Every time I see this thread, I hear the song, "the final countdown" - then I think of Gob from Arrested Development, and I laugh.

side note: does anyone else hear music in their head. Or have the ability to start listening to a certain song when ever they want?

Every time I see this thread, I hear the song, "the final countdown" - then I think of Gob from Arrested Development, and I laugh.

side note: does anyone else hear music in their head. Or have the ability to start listening to a certain song when ever they want?

As the humanmacbook, I have itunes embedded in me. However, my library is only 30 songs :(

definitely! I do it alllll the time :)

I do!

And I start singing in my head and I'm epic!!

When I really start singing I sound a little different though.

So it's been about a month to 6 weeks since interviews. The constant replay and analysis of the interview has subsided (a bit!) for me.

How is everyone doing with about 50 days to go?

I'm lucky, I never had a constant replay of the interview-I think that would've drove me insane! On the other hand, I can't stop thinking about May 13th, which isn't so great. Sometimes I wish I would just forget about everything so I could focus more on school, but that's not very realistic. I guess I really just want to get through finals-once those are done, the final stretch won't be so bad because I can finally relax, get more exercise, play more tennis, and catch up with some friends!!! :P

Archived