Premed 101 Forums

The Official May 13 Countdown Thread

I know you interviewed at a crap load of places including ontario schools, but just in case you are misinformed UBC releases may 13th. may 5th will also be an exciting day for many people, that is my warm up day. I am fairly certain Ottawa will reject me that day so it will be a good balloon deflator so I don't get my hopes up too high for May 13th.

Oh, I didn't even apply to UBC - this was just the first countdown thread so I joined it. I'm waiting on the Albertas on May 13th, but my real hope is for the Ontarios on May 5th.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Im counting down 399 days for May 15th 2012 lol. Assuming I get good news in November :P

Haha wow, I thought I was crazy for counting down til THIS May :P hang in there!!

ONE MONTH AWAY!! 30 Days :D!!

(22 days ~ 3 weeks for Ontario!)

My heart started fluttering when I saw the date on my phone this morning, April 13th. The next 13th I see will be a very exciting/interesting day.

Hope you all are doing well.

Ever wondered who sits on the adcom?

Admissions Selection Committee

(4 year term for elected members)

Terms of Reference:

To consider and select applicants to UBC Medical School. Reports to MD Undergraduate Program Committee.

Composition:

* Dean of Medicine

* Associate Dean, Admissions (Chair)

* UBC President's representative

* One Faculty member representing Clinicians elected by Faculty

* One Faculty member representing Basic Scientists elected by Faculty

* One Clinical Faculty member elected by Clinical Faculty

* Two medical undergraduate students elected by MUS

* One B.C. College of Physicians and Surgeons representative

* One B.C. Medical Association representative

* One Medical Alumni Association representative

* One Simon Fraser University representative

* One University of Northern BC representative

* One University of Victoria representative

Source: http://www.med.ubc.ca/about_us/org_gov/committees/committeelist.htm

29 days!

I am not being productive at all!!!

However, I am TRYING to enjoy this final stretch. I feel that it is a privilige to be in this position (i.e. having an interview, waiting for a decision)! I know that if May 13th doesn't work out, all the dreaming, hoping, planning will be out the window and it will be back to the grind of how to improve application, interview, etc...

The toughest thing about being in this position is you have to act like you have already been rejected in order to keep your chances up for the next cycle.

If you get accepted you've just spent the last year stressing/working your butt off for nothing (with respect to applications)

If you get rejected you feel that deep in your core and have to subject yourself to another round of potential pain/suffering.

As much as it is a blessing to be in this position it's also a bit of a burden. I ha e so much stuff hanging in the balance of this decision...

As much as it is a blessing to be in this position it's also a bit of a burden. I ha e so much stuff hanging in the balance of this decision...

No kidding! Without going into details, this is a huge life changer for me, and I don't mean that because it is med school and it is difficult and will require sacrific and all that...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling the stress!

Recently, my boss told me I would be in a new position at work in the fall (I'll be teaching). It's at the point where May 13th might be too late for me to get out of all this, since they don't have anyone else who can teach. Which means that even if I get in, I may have to attempt to defer or reapply. #$%$&$!!!

Crazy days for all :rolleyes:

haha... there are always ways out of everything. Obviously everyone has responsibilities but once you get accepted I think its fair to say you can be a bit selfish and pursue your dreams.

I have full back up plans and am actively pursuing them so much that sometimes I forget that I have even applied!!

me too.. its either i get in this year or no year... ever f' life

How come this is your last chance, if you don't mind me asking?

The month of May will affect how my relationship with the boyfriend will go. I know it sounds kinda weak and/or stupid but I don't know if I can do a long distance relationship :(

The month of May will affect how my relationship with the boyfriend will go. I know it sounds kinda weak and/or stupid but I don't know if I can do a long distance relationship :(

That's too bad.. I have done long distance for a year and a half... it sucks big time, but it can be done. Skype, iChat, and now Facetime, have made it much easier though. It can definitely make or break a relationship, but ultimately it's you and him who decide which one it is. I hope everything works out for you.

I'm currently sitting at a year and counting on the long distance front! It is totally possible!

It can be hard, but so far I'd say it's 100% worth it :)

Archived