Premed 101 Forums

The Official May 13 Countdown Thread

Hahahahaha hilarious. I knew a guy who looked like you had to be funny ;)

well, if we really want to explore it we could say something like this.

accepted- gave birth to a beautiful little elephant

waitlisted- overdue giant elephant

regrets- turns out you just had really bad indigestion, but you learned from the experience and realized that you want to have a baby elephant... just not this year

regrets after waitlist- you thought you were pregnant with an elephant, the doctors thought you were pregnant with an elephant, but you really had a gas bubble in the shape of an elephant. the experience made you slightly more cynical towards having a baby elephant, but you were pretty happy with the feelings you had and the overall experience was positive... you want to have that baby elephant!

refused offer- you gave birth to your baby elephant, but you're more of a cheetah kind of person... so you went to law school instead.

deferred offer- you gave birth to your baby elephant, but you just weren't ready to care for it so some supports were put in place and you are able to see your baby elephant on weekends until you are ready to take the plunge.

I think that's a pretty good breakdown.

Add to it if you feel like I've missed something.

Edit: Fooood Babbbyyyyy

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK- great analogy.

What about multiple acceptances? Do you then have to make the Sophie's Choice of elephants? Or you get to give one of the elephants up for adoption to another person who desperately wants an elephant? Help me out... I'm at work and can't think too hard about elephants.

On a related note:

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~cronews/elep/elep.html

OK- great analogy.

What about multiple acceptances? Do you then have to make the Sophie's Choice of elephants? Or you get to give one of the elephants up for adoption to another person who desperately wants an elephant? Help me out... I'm at work and can't think too hard about elephants.

On a related note:

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~cronews/elep/elep.html

ok... if you have multiple offers your doctor thought you were only having one elephant, but in reality you had x number... because of the rules enforced by the wildlife conservation society you are required to give up the other elephants to be raised by loving families.

if you are accepted off the waitlist this is where it gets tricky... because technically you are taking somebody else's elephant... so we can either say that your labor was induced and you gave birth to a beautiful 115lb baby elephant or we can say that it turns out you're just fat... but you adopted a beautiful baby elephant that somebody else couldn't keep.

Or what if, as per the other thread, you flunk out of medical school?

You gave birth to a beautiful baby elephant, and everything was wonderful, sunshine, lolly pops and rainbows.

However, as time passes you find that you are struggling to take care of your little one. For whatever reason,you are failing at being a good parent to your elephant. The other baby elephant parents give you dirty looks at the playground, and won't let your elephant play with the others. Each day brings a new challenge, and you find yourself falling behind where you should be, and before you know it, your little baby elephant is now a giant, raging beast that is ruining your life. You start to question your abilities and wonder how you got into this mess. You withdraw emotionally, no longer caring that your offspring is hanging out with the wrong group of elephants, and is causing trouble in the neighbourhood, crushing your neighbour's cars and stepping on their mailboxes. There is help available, and with their support you try to fix the situation but it seems hopeless. So what happens next?

Do you hand over your elephant, that you worked so hard to get, and continue on with your life, perhaps adopting a cheetah or a wildebeest?

Or do you continue on?

Does anyone know what time they usually the give admission notification on the 13th?! I just don't want to be sitting by my computer the whole day - even though that's probably what I'll be doing starting at 12 AM. Also, I know for interview notification they sent out an email to everyone and if you were refused the subject heading was different form if the interview was granted ( i think if it was refused the subject was "Status update" or something like that.....Does anyone know if this is the same for admission? I just want to know whether or not I should start crying when if see the subject heading " Status unpdate" in my inbox on the 13th or not.....

Thanks!!!

Last year when I was waitlisted, the email title was "application Status" and then released from the waitlist with an "Application Status Update".

I can also tell you that the emails go out at different times. Acceptances first, then waitlist, then rejections. Not sure if it will be in the same order this year.

You paid immense amounts of money in administration and shipping fees to adopt a foreign baby elephant into your care.

And then you were never going to be sure you would be able to bring back the elephant to Canada or not. You may have to live with your elephant forever in St. Kitts, sipping pina coladas on the beach. But you won't know until you've raised your elephant to full grown.

K cool thanks so much for the info! Does anybody know if the email title is different for an acceptance??

To be honest, you don't want to know what people have to say in regards to email title. People told me that emails containing regrets for interviews would say "application status". So when I was in anatomy class and checked my email and saw "application status" I was so choked and couldn't think the rest of class. When I actually opened the email I found out that that infoI was given was rubbish. Either way your going to open the email, so why not just save yourself from any extra heartache and go into this blind and hoping for the best? There's no knowing that whatever the email title was last year will be the same as it will be this year, so even if people tell what the title "will" be this year it is speculation only and not worth putting weight on.

But my guess is, if the title to your email on may 13th says "OMG YOU ARE GOING TO UBC" that's probably a good sign, :P

Copy and pasted:

XXXXXXXXX (not to embarass a fellow pm101 if Xed out the name)

In my experience, OAS is updated 10-15 minutes before the email goes out. And rejections are sent out at a different time than acceptances.

If you get an interview the title of your email will be "invitation to interview" if you don't it's "application status". So terrified right now.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47152&page=2&highlight=email+title+application+status

To be honest, you don't want to know what people have to say in regards to email title. People told me that emails containing regrets for interviews would say "application status". So when I was in anatomy class and checked my email and saw "application status" I was so choked and couldn't think the rest of class. When I actually opened the email I found out that that infoI was given was rubbish. Either way your going to open the email, so why not just save yourself from any extra heartache and go into this blind and hoping for the best? There's no knowing that whatever the email title was last year will be the same as it will be this year, so even if people tell what the title "will" be this year it is speculation only and not worth putting weight on.

But my guess is, if the title to your email on may 13th says "OMG YOU ARE GOING TO UBC" that's probably a good sign, :P

I agree, just take a deep breath, open the e-mail and read carefully :)

This year was different for titles of interview emails so perhaps it will be for acceptances as well (everyone gets "application status"). However, keep in mind that the interview emails were sent over the course of a week (how far away that feels now) and the acceptance emails most definitely will not.

The pattern is that there is no pattern!

HMMMM I wonder which PM101 member that was!

Copy and pasted:

XXXXXXXXX (not to embarass a fellow pm101 if Xed out the name)

In my experience, OAS is updated 10-15 minutes before the email goes out. And rejections are sent out at a different time than acceptances.

If you get an interview the title of your email will be "invitation to interview" if you don't it's "application status". So terrified right now.

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47152&page=2&highlight=email+title+application+status

Since we're just wasting time... do we have to send in final transcripts before any letters or anything? for UBC or for other schools (for those that applied elsewhere, besides Sask)....

http://www.med.ubc.ca/education/md_ugrad/MD_Undergraduate_Admissions/Timeline_2010_2011.htm

based on the timeline all applicants must have their 90 credits completed by april 30th... so 9 days from now.

if you are accepted or waitlisted you must submit a final official transcript (only if you have completed coursework this year- sept 2010 onwards) by june 15th. if you haven't completed any coursework this year then you do not need to send in a new transcript as they will have one from your application.

if you are given an offer you have until may 17th? to submit your deposit and then you are supposed to go get a crim check for educational licensure, complete your vaccinations information and some other documentation, meet with the school nurse to verify your immunizations and jump through whatever hoops they ask you to.

then in july you register for courses

orientation last week of august.

that about sums it up.

Archived