Premed 101 Forums

York U anatomy and Phys I

kingston

I think dr smith stopped teaching this year.

Do you know who is teaching it?

Leap! I am taking exercise phys without taking phys II. Do you think the mcat physio should be enough background knowledge for that course? I've already taken phys I and nutrition tho.

Is Dr. Hood teaching this class still? If so, you should be fine. He's a fantastic prof and covers a lot of the background needed to understand the new concepts.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just so all of you know, you most likely won't be using either Phys I or Phys II textbooks. It is a waste of money. I took both of those courses, ended up with an A and A+ respectively and did not open the books once.....

Edit: As for anatomy, buy the Gray's Anatomy book. It will help along the way (if Neil Smith is still teaching it).

Pretty much exactly what I did. ... and Neil Smith is a tricky guy, know your stuff!

Leap! I am taking exercise phys without taking phys II.

I'm taking KINE 4010 too! :)

Is Dr. Hood teaching this class still? If so, you should be fine. He's a fantastic prof and covers a lot of the background needed to understand the new concepts.

What are his evaluations like?

• 2 weeks later...
I missed the class for Kine 2011 (Human phys I) today (course conflict)- would someone who went care to tell me how it was? (prof/marking scheme). I'll go to the Friday one and try to see for myself but if anyone has thoughts regarding the course syllabus please let me know! Thanks!

It was a snooze. We didn't really do much. She just did introductory stuff about the course.

Eval as I recall was: 35% midterm, 65% final. NO make-ups for midterm and if you miss due to an illness (verified by Dr note - they do call she said) then final is worth 100%.

Someone asked about the textbook and she basically said she teaches right from the book. Everything she teaches will be in the book and the lecture slides are merely as a reference point for the textbook.

I was debating whether to buy the text but decided to buy it along with the course notes (package).

It was PACKED! People were sitting on stairs, on the floors, etc. I offered this cute girl my lap but a friend saved her a seat. lol

It was a snooze. We didn't really do much. She just did introductory stuff about the course.

Eval as I recall was: 35% midterm, 65% final. NO make-ups for midterm and if you miss due to an illness (verified by Dr note - they do call she said) then final is worth 100%.

Someone asked about the textbook and she basically said she teaches right from the book. Everything she teaches will be in the book and the lecture slides are merely as a reference point for the textbook.

I was debating whether to buy the text but decided to buy it along with the course notes (package).

It was PACKED! People were sitting on stairs, on the floors, etc. I offered this cute girl my lap but a friend saved her a seat. lol

I didnt go to class today either,

HOLY CRAP, the final in 65%?

can't believe we are all in same class..

ill look for you guys in class

Thanks a lot! a 65% final, yikes...

wow the course seems quite popular!

honestly i dont know if I should buy the text book for anatomy & physiology or not. Everything seems to be in the course notes. Others have said on this forum that they didnt even touch the textbook for phsy I & II, so confused lol, what are you guys doing?

I bought the book. I'd rather be safe than sorry and since I don't have much of a science background I'd rather be prepared than not.

honestly i dont know if I should buy the text book for anatomy & physiology or not. Everything seems to be in the course notes. Others have said on this forum that they didnt even touch the textbook for phsy I & II, so confused lol, what are you guys doing?

Don't. If Neil Smith is teaching Anatomy, definitely don't need that.

For Phys I/II, I didn't use it at all last year and got A/A+ (respectively) so it's not necessary at all. Just know the lectures and you're golden. Of course, it's good to brush up on information but if you wanna save the money you can simply take it out for a couple hours from the library on reserve.

Oh and if you're taking BIOL1000/1001 and wanna buy my book then holla! :P

Don't. If Neil Smith is teaching Anatomy, definitely don't need that.

For Phys I/II, I didn't use it at all last year and got A/A+ (respectively) so it's not necessary at all. Just know the lectures and you're golden. Of course, it's good to brush up on information but if you wanna save the money you can simply take it out for a couple hours from the library on reserve.

Oh and if you're taking BIOL1000/1001 and wanna buy my book then holla! :P

J'd be willing to buy your book for bio (gonna try taking it in the summer if offered) unless its roughly the same book for phys? Lol

The main reason i bought the phys book is someone specifically asked her if they needed the book and she literally said what i teach is in the book and the lectures are simply guides to explain a little better what the book covers.

I figired i'd netter be safe than sorry.

Oh and Smith is not teaching any portion of the phys course.

I'd be cautious about not buying the textbook for anatomy. Neil Smith thinks it is cool to toss curveballs and honestly, if you know which book he is using to get his notes, then buy that one. It will help you A LOT.

I don't see how a textbook was that useful in his class to be honest, he posted slides and the slides were all pictures from the textbook he recommended.

J'd be willing to buy your book for bio (gonna try taking it in the summer if offered) unless its roughly the same book for phys? Lol

The main reason i bought the phys book is someone specifically asked her if they needed the book and she literally said what i teach is in the book and the lectures are simply guides to explain a little better what the book covers.

I figired i'd netter be safe than sorry.

Oh and Smith is not teaching any portion of the phys course.

Two different books, but let me know what you decide.

Was this Gillian Wu for Phys I? She's always from the lectures, but you're right it's better safe to be sorry!

Smith teaches Anatomy, not Physiology. Phys 1 is Wu and Birot and Phys 2 is Tara Haas.

Two different books, but let me know what you decide.

Was this Gillian Wu for Phys I? She's always from the lectures, but you're right it's better safe to be sorry!

Smith teaches Anatomy, not Physiology. Phys 1 is Wu and Birot and Phys 2 is Tara Haas.

yeah sorry, I didn't read your original statement correctly. It is Wu and Birot for phys i

I don't see how a textbook was that useful in his class to be honest, he posted slides and the slides were all pictures from the textbook he recommended.

Because of the textbook I ended up getting an A+ in that class. If it wasn't for it, there was no way I would have gotten that high of a mark.

Because of the textbook I ended up getting an A+ in that class. If it wasn't for it, there was no way I would have gotten that high of a mark.

Chiming in to say I never touched the textbook and still got an A+ too so I guess it depends on what suits you best. I just studied the Course Kit religiously for like 3 days before the tests...except the final, I was burnt out because of MCAT lol

hey guys, seeing how were mostly all in KINE here I would like to know what are you guys taking for your gen eds, and in what year are you doing so? Are you strictly following the guide provided in the KINE book? I just enrolled into my first gen ed course ( a social science) in my 2nd year. The in the KINE book it says its recommended to complete all gen eds in your first 54 credits, but instead of taking a HUMA course in first year i took Chemistry. And as for my social science i was thinking either "prospects and perils in the 21st century" or "Health and equity".

Archived