Premed 101 Forums

York U anatomy and Phys I

kingston

It was pretty crazy actually. We had like a 3 hour "rotating interview" with like 5 people per table and 30 minutes for ethical scenarios and stuff. Then we had a 8 hour Peer Mentor training session and then another 4 hour additional Peer Tutor training.

Lots of training for just tutoring...

Yeah they kind of do that for everything though. I'm a peer mentor so I went through that crap, aha.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ugh I hate those mentor training sessions! I've had to do three of them over the years and they are ALWAYS the same and are sooo boring! And ya they lump together people from all sorts of areas for those. I have had to do them for things other than mentoring but was still with mentors. There's normally a few SOS people there too which makes me want to cut my ears off! They have also been making visits to one of my classes which is not making Captain very happy!

Only thing that makes those sessions semi-tolerable is the fact that I know the academic advisors are having to sit through it too :P

lmao yes to the last point!

I want to be an SOS member next year :( lol but honestly the orientations are so bad that they make you reconsider things, LOL.

You have to have a high mark to do that and only certain students get picked by the prof. :)

And WHOAAAA... when did bio become split into 2 courses?!?!?!!?!? :confused: I feel old. sigh..

They changed it this year. Now you only need an A to apply and you don't get a special letter from the prof or master to peer tutor :/.

Wait.... what is wrong with SOS people?! :confused:

I used to be on SOS when it was cool and had cool people in it. lol. How did it change?

Anyways, in my time, you needed an A+ in the course and the prof specifically had to pick you and sort of "nominate" you for peer mentoring. I guess York's quality of education has gone down. Good job, York... good job. Keep it up... :rolleyes:

Wait.... what is wrong with SOS people?! :confused:

I used to be on SOS when it was cool and had cool people in it. lol. How did it change?

Anyways, in my time, you needed an A+ in the course and the prof specifically had to pick you and sort of "nominate" you for peer mentoring. I guess York's quality of education has gone down. Good job, York... good job. Keep it up... :rolleyes:

they didn't had to "nominate" you... everyone who got an A+ got a letter from the chem course director or the master... this was how it was the last couple years and how I got selected... haha I still think that tutors should have an A+ in the course since its pretty easy for anyone to get an A in those core courses even chem

SOS has never had cool people, sorry :P

but there are 3 sections for biol 1001 n 2 sections for phys... they're all at the same time?

The winter class for bio that isnt full is same time slot as phys 2 which is the only time slot i am allowed to enroll in.

Now i could do what i do for phys 1 and just go to the early time slot as that is my preference but i *could* end up getting screwed at exam time because you have to write your exam in the section you are registered for.

Blah

Thinkimg i'll just take both bio's next yr to satisfy pre req requirements.

I'd like to know too :P

Likewise :)

I emailed Neil Smith to ask about TA-ing the Anatomy course. He emailed me back saying that Kine policy now says that as long as there are grad/phd students interested in TA-ing the course, they get first dibs...and since York has like a gazillion grad students, undergrads don't end up getting any spots.

Likewise :)

I emailed Neil Smith to ask about TA-ing the Anatomy course. He emailed me back saying that Kine policy now says that as long as there are grad/phd students interested in TA-ing the course, they get first dibs...and since York has like a gazillion grad students, undergrads don't end up getting any spots.

That sucks cause at UofT, 4th years get to tutor..

Guys how are you studying for the upcoming anatomy test? Straight out of the course notes, textbook, or both? Do you think re-reading everything would be enough, or going back and looking at his slides would be good too? A lot of people are telling me if you memorize the course notes you should be okay, but I dont think that would be sufficient enough :(

For anatomy, I'm memorizing the course notebook, and looking at his slides. It's one thing to read a bunch of words telling you what things look like and where there are, and it's another to actually see where those things are in a picture.

Guys how are you studying for the upcoming anatomy test? Straight out of the course notes, textbook, or both? Do you think re-reading everything would be enough, or going back and looking at his slides would be good too? A lot of people are telling me if you memorize the course notes you should be okay, but I dont think that would be sufficient enough :(

Read and re-read the course kit and if you want to look at the slides just look at the pictures of the muscles and their movements.

Idea for those in the Human Physiology 1 class:

How about we all try to come up with a series of 5-10 multiple choice or true/false questions per week that we can compile and distribute amongst us to help with our studying?

Mini mock tests as we go along could prove useful and if we're only doing a few each we should be able to do them fairly quickly but benefit from the power of numbers :)

To take initiative, I can organize and distribute it you all want to send them to me.

Thoughts?

A

Idea for those in the Human Physiology 1 class:

How about we all try to come up with a series of 5-10 multiple choice or true/false questions per week that we can compile and distribute amongst us to help with our studying?

Mini mock tests as we go along could prove useful and if we're only doing a few each we should be able to do them fairly quickly but benefit from the power of numbers :)

To take initiative, I can organize and distribute it you all want to send them to me.

Thoughts?

A

yea sure, why not. I can do this after 1 week though..

Archived