Premed 101 Forums

How competitive is residency?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
General or clinical pathologists have some interaction with patients (plasmapheresis), also some pathologists in the USA (and maybe in Canada) perform FNAs. However, it is true that 99% of anatomical pathologist in Canada have zero interaction with patients.

I also think it's important for medical students to consider whether it is truly patient contact that they desire, or just people contact (of which pathologists have plenty).

But, seriously, I had this awesome lecture from an oral maxillofacial surgeon the other day and thought I wouldn't mind being one. Then I realized you need to go to dental school for that, not medical school - wtf!

you can dip into that as plastics. i'm pretty sure there's a turf war going on between some plastics and mf surgeons.

you can dip into that as plastics. i'm pretty sure there's a turf war going on between some plastics and mf surgeons.

There is a turf war for facial reconstruction and maybe even orthognatic surgery, but certainly not for implants (not breasts but teeth!) and teeth extractions, the bread and butter of oral & maxillofacial surgery.

I've never heard of any such guarantee. Certainly your chances may be improved as an internal candidate, but that doesn't mean there will be an opening available when you graduate.

yeah that definitely not a guarantee at all - first it couldn't work for family doc residencies, and even for longer specialities that policy would overload the centre very, very quickly. Particularly in some very tight labour markets right now.

Once you leave residency there is another entire job seeking phase (or rather you would start that search during residency).

I noticed some of you talking about 'coasting' and getting 'A's' and 'C's... I thought no one could see your grades when you are in med school, other than 'honours' or non-'honours'? Isn't that how most med schools work now?

That's correct, nobody can see your grades, just pass, fail, and for some schools, honours. The discussion was more about building up your entire profile for competitive specialties or being more laid-back if you intend to match something easier.

i think tooty and brooksbane's advice was directed towards people who don't know what they want to do... so that they can keep their doors open... believe it or not i know a student who just coasted through their first two years without looking into anything, decided they liked anesthesia, did a bunch of electives, and then in fourth year changed their mind for psych... even though psych was their first choice, their lack of electives in psych (i was talking to one of the residents in the particular psych program this person applied too first choice) compared to anesthesiology meant that he didn't match to psych, and ended up having to do the "harder specialty", anesthesiology. i guess im saying this to say that trying a bunch of specialties and getting to know the faculty in pre-clin isn't necessarily with the intention to get into a difficult-to-match-into specialty, but to keep options open. in this case, the person actually didn't get a relatively easy specialty that he wanted and ended up matching into a pretty competitive specialty because he didn't investigate different specialties (both competitive and non-competitive) in pre-clin... i think in his case he'll probably be able to transfer to psych in 2nd year, but i think the point is that it's stupid to go to school for 8+ years to do a specialty you're not happy with (in retrospect, i know only would have wanted to do psych, or maybe public health... matching into rads, optho would have been an existential nightmare for me, and i know because i shadowed some docs, and spent so much time checking out psych that i was absolutely sure that's what i wanted if would have continued in med - so i don't think it's necessarily a status, hard work or competitive thing, i think it's more about being happy with what you do for a living (i would dislike family med as much as rads, and they're on the opposite ends of the competitive spectrum).

I have the opposite viewpoint. Life is short, so enjoy it. If a person can be happy with family med, why drain oneself brown nosing people for several years, then struggling through half a decade of rigorous training when you don't have to?

obviously if you know what you want to do then go for it. brook's advice is for those who do not know and may not know until they're well into clerkship. while they're trying things out in preclerkship, it's best aim for higher competition and get projects started in the competitive specialties. if they realize they love family, great. convincing a family program that you've changed your mind (if you've done a family elective) is not hard. if they want to go for a more competitive specialty, it's a good thing they prepared.

That's correct, nobody can see your grades, just pass, fail, and for some schools, honours. The discussion was more about building up your entire profile for competitive specialties or being more laid-back if you intend to match something easier.

Unless I'm mistaken (hope I am), our school has letter grades, not pass/fail. Sucks. At least, there's this complicated chart on how they compute the letter grades so I don't see why they'd bother with that if it was P/F.

Unless I'm mistaken (hope I am), our school has letter grades, not pass/fail. Sucks. At least, there's this complicated chart on how they compute the letter grades so I don't see why they'd bother with that if it was P/F.

UdeM, UdeS, and ULaval continue to use letter grade systems.

Why? Because Quebec needs to be different.

For residencies within the province of Quebec, your grades WILL matter, particularly for competitive spots. Some programs even advertise that preclinical grades can represent anywhere from 10% to 50% in their 'points system', often as important or more important that interview and LOR's.

If you don't believe me, take a look at pages 3-4 in this document:

http://www.ulaval.ca/sg/PR/402/Etudes_post-MD_2011-2012.pdf

Outside of Quebec (including McGill), medical schools have either P-F or P-F-H systems. Therefore, your preclinical grades will most likely NOT be taken into account when applying for residency, even if you come from one of the french schools because you cannot be compared to other applicants.

UdeM, UdeS, and ULaval continue to use letter grade systems.

Why? Because Quebec needs to be different.

For residencies within the province of Quebec, your grades WILL matter, particularly for competitive spots. Some programs even advertise that preclinical grades can represent anywhere from 10% to 50% in their 'points system', often as important or more important that interview and LOR's.

If you don't believe me, take a look at pages 3-4 in this document:

http://www.ulaval.ca/sg/PR/402/Etudes_post-MD_2011-2012.pdf

Outside of Quebec (including McGill), medical schools have either P-F or P-F-H systems. Therefore, your preclinical grades will most likely NOT be taken into account when applying for residency, even if you come from one of the french schools because you cannot be compared to other applicants.

It's not such a big deal if they look at your grades. Everyone does decently for the most part and unless you're last in your class and vying for ROADS, there shouldn't be a problem.

Pre-clinical grades have little impact on how well you perform in a residency position. Someone who sucks ass at internal, psych and peds might make the worlds best ortho. Therefore, really all an ortho program needs to care about is the quality of the ortho they are gonna turn out. Why care about how many treatments of RSV they can memorize.

I have no idea why a program director would choose to count pre-clinical grades.

Archived