Premed 101 Forums

How competitive is residency?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Saying the USMLE is a good tool to allow admission into certain specialties is like saying the MCAT is a good tool to allow admission into medical school.

It isn't.

Well, at least in my opinion, the MCAT is necessarily because undergraduate universities, and even programs inside a university, have widely differing degrees of difficulty. The MCAT serves as a great equalizer. Comparing applicants by GPA sometimes isn't completely fair, and I think both should be taken into consideration. I'm just a humble premed though haha.

Neither McGill, NOMS nor U/O would agree. ;)

yeah and most schools don't really use it as an actually ranking tool even if it is a part of their system. For instance Toronto and Queens just have cut offs as far as we know, Mac is just using one part of it that is not really covered anyway by most premeds' programs (and thus does not serve as a tool to equal performance across programs) and so on.

Well, at least in my opinion, the MCAT is necessarily because undergraduate universities, and even programs inside a university, have widely differing degrees of difficulty. The MCAT serves as a great equalizer. Comparing applicants by GPA sometimes isn't completely fair, and I think both should be taken into consideration. I'm just a humble premed though haha.

there is some logic to that approach :) Still very few schools are actually doing it.

Soon med school admissions will become like residency admissions: primarily schmooze games.

I for one liked the concept of the MCAT(though not the test itself) and the USMLE. For people like me who lack superficial charm, being able to show our knowledge through standardized exams increases our credibility.

If Steve Jobs had knowledge instead of superficial charm, Apple wouldn't exist.

...why are so few people picking neuropathology as a residency? :confused: It sounds like an excellent lifestyle specialty. Or is that just my perception?

No jobs.

Why would you narrow your scope of practice before pgy-1 or any true exposure to the field when you could do general pathology and focus your education to your interest. General Path allows more flexibility and more job opportunities.

...why are so few people picking neuropathology as a residency? :confused: It sounds like an excellent lifestyle specialty. Or is that just my perception?

Because people don't know what they're missing ;)

On a more serious note someone mentioned general pathology. Most people in Canada choose anatomic path (unlike the US where general path is super popular).

There are neuropath jobs, just not at the major academic hospitals.

Anatomical path jobs are everywhere. Also, path has the best lifestyle, and best pay per hour, of ANY medical specialty from what I have read and heard.

The reason they are not popular is generally the lack of patient contact (making some students who consider persuing path feel like they are "not real doctors). If this matters to you a lot, it may be a knock against path as one of your choices. I will note that as a resident, there have been certain rotations where I have certainly regretted not giving path a harder look.

Saying the USMLE is a good tool to allow admission into certain specialties is like saying the MCAT is a good tool to allow admission into medical school.

It isn't.

MCAT tests on general science + verbal reasoning. This has mediocre correlation with medical school performance (VR is the best). The USMLE tests on medical knowledge and has excellent correlation with medical knowledge (go figure). So it is a good tool to screen for better applicants at least with respect to knowledge. When it comes to interpersonal skills and the rest of the things you look for in a resident, hopefully that is where letters + the interview come in.

Archived