Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

-.- the first midterm for biochemistry was far from fair/easy, lol who suggested Wheaton's tests were easy?

I took the course last year and his tests were really fair IMO and I am not a genius by any stretch of the imagination. His shorts answers were basically a gimme but his multiple choice had a few tricks.

Does he make the midterms & exams easier? Or does the content of the course actually get harder from here on now?

Hopefully he bell-curves at the end.

The content of the course doesn't really get harder. It's just that for the final you need to memorize the whole course to ace the exam. And I'm sure you know how much texts his slides have (he basically writes down every paragraph from the book on his slides). Good thing I didn't buy the book :D

How are you guys studying for the animals midterm (reyes)? Are you just reading his slides and memorizing them or are you reading the textbook as well. On that note does anyone have any previous midterms from him.

The textbook goes into unnecessary detail, and he does repeatedly say that the textbook has too much info that we can never get through. I'd just stick to the slides.

Read the textbook only for a general idea and understanding. However, you need to absolutely memorize all of the slides to do well. The midterm was very fair (I didn't have Reyes as my prof though). The majority of the questions weren't even application based (pure memorization).

Does he expect you to know all the genus examples? There are obviously a bunch you should know that were used in examples and such, but Reyes has a series of slides on each class/subphylum with examples of specific species

Does he expect you to know all the genus examples? There are obviously a bunch you should know that were used in examples and such, but Reyes has a series of slides on each class/subphylum with examples of specific species

I was wondering the same thing, literally for one of his lectures he list 15 phyla with 2-3 species examples are we responsible for all of that?

pharmaceutical chemistry :D

Thermodynamics is the biggest bird

Guys do you know what `s the easiest programe in york for premed? to get highest gpa it has to be science oriented coz that`s the only thing i love

Kin. 2nd year physiology is "like grade 11 science"- bio major friends that are taking it

Thermodynamics is the biggest bird

Kin. 2nd year physiology is "like grade 11 science"- bio major friends that are taking it

Yeah Physiology (KINE 2011) is not real difficult, but Anatomy KINE 2031 is the total opposite. We just had our marks posted yesterday. Out of 906 students that wrote the first midterm 363 students failed (that's 40%) and the class average is 54% and they won't bell it up. At UofT our first year chem midterm averages were like 40% but they always belled up to 60% :S.

Yeah Physiology (KINE 2011) is not real difficult, but Anatomy KINE 2031 is the total opposite. We just had our marks posted yesterday. Out of 906 students that wrote the first midterm 363 students failed (that's 40%) and the class average is 54% and they won't bell it up. At UofT our first year chem midterm averages were like 40% but they always belled up to 60% :S.

Haha I somehow got 80% on that anatomy test.

I think Smith bell curves at the end.

you went to u of t and then went to york for a second bachelor's?

For KINE 2011 did you guys read the textbook or was reading and memorizing the course kit enough to get you a good mark?

I personally wouldn't rely on the course kit for your main studying. I'd use it as a guide for the material you're responsible for.

Example: It's not enough to know that the functions of microtubules are for secretory vesicle transport, specialized cell projections of cilia and flagella, and chromosome distribution during cell division (miotic spindle).

You should know HOW microtubules are involved in secretory vesicle transport. Example: transports vesicles, attached to a kinesin motor protein, down the axon from the cell body to the axon terminal in a treadmill-like fashion; and reverse transports cell debris back from the axon terminal to the cell body by way of the dynein motor protein

So for the above example: I would want to know how microtubules are used in secretory vesicle transport, what motor proteins are involved and in what stages (towards the axon terminal or towards the cell body), as well as why microtubules are used over diffusion (simple being that it would take chemicals too long to diffuse through the cell body to the axon terminal), etc.

Hope this helps?

I know it seems overkill but trust me, last year questions were based on details of application, not just memorization from course notes.

A friend spoke to Smith today and he's not going to bell curve, not this test and not the final grades.

the class average for phys I is also low but that doesn't mean its a "difficult" class... averages don't really tell you much about the difficulty