Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

You are not the only one. York is one of the worst universities when it comes to OSAP. Last year I got mine in January (I did apply a little bit late but that's still more than the "6-8 weeks" processing period. This year I applied earlier and still haven't gotten anything.

What is even worse is when they have no clue about an OSAP issue you have when you ask them. Why hire these ignorant people in the first place?

I fear that because If we wait till january, we might not get our osap for semester 1 and the 30% off grant for semester 1.

It happened to me for one year beacuse i submitted my application like in november or something

If any of you guys have BIOL 2020 Tests for Keith Wheaton's class I'd like to buy them.

BIOL 2020 was such an easy course, his tests are so short and he will literally tell you in lecture what the written question or diagram questions will be on. He's not the best lecturer but last year he would literally tell you what would be the focus of the tests. His tests were usually 20 MC and 1 or 2 diagrams and/or structure drawings.

BIOL 2020 was such an easy course, his tests are so short and he will literally tell you in lecture what the written question or diagram questions will be on. He's not the best lecturer but last year he would literally tell you what would be the focus of the tests. His tests were usually 20 MC and 1 or 2 diagrams and/or structure drawings.

So that's why he had to bump everyone's mark by 12% at the end to maintain a decent class average. If you are trying to suggest a course to someone tell them the facts instead of just saying "oh it was a piece of cake". I did pretty well in the course and although I found the course not too hard, I would still caution against biochem unless it is a requirement for a program you are applying to. If you are the type of person that can memorize everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING because the final exam is cumulative) then getting an A+ would be easy for you. Otherwise don't risk ruining your GPA.

I'm taking the course right now and for the most part; there are a lot of slides to go through for each lecture but the good thing is that he has introduced clicker questions this time to see how the class is doing (they don't count for grades however). He has hinted some stuff that should be on our first midterm, but we will see how that goes.

I remember for our first test one of the questions was drawing the structure of a tripeptide or something and he gave us the easy amino acids too.

So that's why he had to bump everyone's mark by 12% at the end to maintain a decent class average. If you are trying to suggest a course to someone tell them the facts instead of just saying "oh it was a piece of cake". I did pretty well in the course and although I found the course not too hard, I would still caution against biochem unless it is a requirement for a program you are applying to. If you are the type of person that can memorize everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING because the final exam is cumulative) then getting an A+ would be easy for you. Otherwise don't risk ruining your GPA.

Yeah well to give you guys all the info. when I took it in W semester last year the class average was 65% and that was after a decent bump up on the exam. What I'm trying to say is that compared to anatomy this course is really not that hard and the tests are not hard at all as Wheaton doesn't like to throw curve balls at you. You need to read the textbook and attend lectures because a lot of the slides in the lecture cover things like diseases and are application oriented.

Yeah well to give you guys all the info. when I took it in W semester last year the class average was 65% and that was after a decent bump up on the exam. What I'm trying to say is that compared to anatomy this course is really not that hard and the tests are not hard at all as Wheaton doesn't like to throw curve balls at you. You need to read the textbook and attend lectures because a lot of the slides in the lecture cover things like diseases and are application oriented.

Do you have your past tests? I want to ace this course.

EDIT: He mentioned the tripeptide thing about the 1st test. Just wondering about the MC questions really. He seems to be giving out the vibe that they'll be application based. For example, in the lab this happened, what's responsible. Or the disease types of questions as somebody already referred to.

Do you have your past tests? I want to ace this course.

EDIT: He mentioned the tripeptide thing about the 1st test. Just wondering about the MC questions really. He seems to be giving out the vibe that they'll be application based. For example, in the lab this happened, what's responsible. Or the disease types of questions as somebody already referred to.

Sorry I sold my book and all notes/tests to somebody. From what I remember the first test was approx. 20 MC questions and they included a few application questions like on certain things like cholera and scurvy so take note Wheaton does like to ask a few of those type of questions. The short answer section of the first midterm had 2 parts, the first part was labelling parts/components of the signal transduction pathway and the second part was drawing the structure of a tripeptide. You have to know the structure of all 20 amino acids but on the test he asked us to draw a relatively simple tripeptide but you still need to remember the structure of all 20 (I know it sounds like way too much but you'll establish/notice patterns in the amino acids based on the groupings [e.g. polar, nonpolar, acidic, basic] and the structure of the R-groups). The class average in the course is pretty low so you'll probably get bumped at the end of the course on the exam like he did when I took it.

Sorry I sold my book and all notes/tests to somebody. From what I remember the first test was approx. 20 MC questions and they included a few application questions like on certain things like cholera and scurvy so take note Wheaton does like to ask a few of those type of questions. The short answer section of the first midterm had 2 parts, the first part was labelling parts/components of the signal transduction pathway and the second part was drawing the structure of a tripeptide. You have to know the structure of all 20 amino acids but on the test he asked us to draw a relatively simple tripeptide but you still need to remember the structure of all 20 (I know it sounds like way too much but you'll establish/notice patterns in the amino acids based on the groupings [e.g. polar, nonpolar, acidic, basic] and the structure of the R-groups). The class average in the course is pretty low so you'll probably get bumped at the end of the course on the exam like he did when I took it.

Thanks for the info! Man I really do want to see his past tests though.

He really doesn't seem like he's anal about the fine details... I mean he does repeatedly say "just know the general outline of how this works"

Yeah he seems like a good guy. Thing is, with 20 MC and 2 SA there isn't much room for error. I've heard people say it's an easy A+ and then I hear that the class avg is 65% after a curve on the tests.

Got a BIO 1000 test coming up soon. My prof is Paula Wilson and I only hear good things about her and her tests, but just to be on the safe side, any advise to ace it (90% +)?

Her first test is pretty easy. You have to have a basic understanding of biology. Wilson cares whether you understand the concepts and can apply them. She'll ask basic questions that require 1 inference. Of course you have to know the terms and their definitions, but in general you have to have a solid understanding of the concepts. If you get the jist of the quesiton, you should have no trouble answering.

Should I believe Dr. Wu when she says all the info I need is in the course pack for KINE 2011 (Human Physiology I)? Or should I make notes from the textbook as well?

From last year... I wouldn't believe her saying all the material is in the course pack lol

She said similar last year yet there were questions that covered info that I don't even read in the textbook and trust me, I've scoured that damn book to try and find them lmao

Nope. I'm expecting mine by the end of Oct. I seriously don't know what the **** is taking them so long.

I know right. I havn't gotten mine either.

I think they are doing it slowly purposely..

They probably have some restrictions or something like doing only like 200 osap apps per day.

I know right. I havn't gotten mine either.

I think they are doing it slowly purposely..

They probably have some restrictions or something like doing only like 200 osap apps per day.

My min payment's due in 2 days and I haven't gotten my OSAP yet, they're not gonna de-enrol me are they?

200?? I would be surprised if they do 50 a day.

My min payment's due in 2 days and I haven't gotten my OSAP yet, they're not gonna de-enrol me are they?

As long as you paid the deposit ($450), you won't be de-enrolled.

Taking their sweet time actually works in their favour. They'll charge you the interest and although it's only 1%, it adds up.

I applied for OSAP on August 24th and handed in my sheets to York on the first day of school. I got my first payment like almost 2 weeks ago. I don`t know why its taking you guys so long. That`s strange.

Unbelievable.

Nope. I'm expecting mine by the end of Oct. I seriously don't know what the **** is taking them so long.

Wow, mine was posted on the 16th of Sept, but I applied in late June. Unbelievable indeed with how long they take.

On an unrelated note - the Bursary application is due on Monday Sept 15; does anyone know what time? lol I'm way too busy to even start it til this weekend.

I got my first osap payment afew days ago!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw, Donini is a bad prof, not the good prof.

gentlemen calm down, neither donini or kelly are teaching, German Reyes is the only animals prof this year. Horrible, horrible prof. I cannot emphasize enough, horrible.

and congrats, I still have to hand in a form

-.- the first midterm for biochemistry was far from fair/easy, lol who suggested Wheaton's tests were easy?

Some people talk out of their A$$. The final was pretty bad too and the fact that it was cumulative made it even worse.

I got my first osap payment afew days ago!!!!!!!!!!!!

btw, Donini is a bad prof, not the good prof.

Damn. I'm hoping mine comes in within the next few days.