Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

i got a 42 out of 50 with only full courseload in 2 yrs in psych… i did practically a ba and bsc (i preferred summer bursaries to working too much) and chose to apply for one because i would need extra language classes for ba… psych is sweet as hell… and i took lots of extremely artsy psych, even philosophical psych which really gets esoteric.

Wow I didn't think any of the Canadian schools did that.

Give me an example of which majors would fall under the top 10 in terms of difficulty.

I'm planning on BA Psych as well, did you enjoy it? Reveal to me your secrets.

i got a 42 out of 50 with only full courseload in 2 yrs in psych… i did practically a ba and bsc (i preferred summer bursaries to working too much) and chose to apply for one because i would need extra language classes for ba… psych is sweet as hell… and i took lots of extremely artsy psych, even philosophical psych which really gets esoteric.

That would've been under the old evaluation system though.

i didnt go to york and honestly, i dont know anything about kine… so can't give insight into that though. but psych is really rewarding if you want it to be, most people avoid the phenomenology class where you write 25 pg essays and are like wow, that was a cool class after… or the ones with 5 students with a canada research chair in vision whos a hard ass and interviews you to take the class because he only wants serious people… you get what you put into things which is why most people think psychs easy, because they choose to take the multiple choice classes which are no where near the experience of being in a seminar with a world leader in their field.. we had some amazing mathematicians on faculty who blew your mind with stats over my head…

i know someone who did a kin degree though and the work they described getting to do blew my mind… really special stuff, but this person has a work ethic like no other… so again, depends what you put into it… :)

Thanks for the insight Muse, you make me want to be a better man - what do you think about Kinesiology?

Has anyone taken ECON1900 for non-majors? Is it suppose to be easier than ECON1000 or are the profs of ECON 1000 easier? ECON1900 has SA :/

really? I was keeping those econs open as electives incase I may need them lol

that sucks, There aren't any interesting birdy electives left any more :(

Don't worry, I took econ1000 and it is definitely birdy! I wouldn't call it interesting though.

true dat, wut is it now? i like calgs old eval, such an awesome school.

Now the subjective component is only 10% of your overall score. GPA is 20%. In the old eval, subjective was 25% and GPA was 25% :)

Yeah I don't really want to take econ but then there aren't any better gen eds to take... sigh why do we need gen eds

When I look at the profs ratings, ECON1000 profs have better ratings for easiness than the ECON1900 prof so I'm a bit confused.

• 2 weeks later...
You need to be good at orgo to do well in that course. People who complain are the ones who are not good at orgo.

I found the first biochem (biol2020) to not involve much orgo. I did really well on that course. I've taken the first part of orgo and did pretty well. How much organic are we talking about in the advanced biochem? As long as it doesn't require figuring out extensive reaction mechanisms, I'm OK :D

I found the first biochem (biol2020) to not involve much orgo. I did really well on that course. I've taken the first part of orgo and did pretty well. How much organic are we talking about in the advanced biochem? As long as it doesn't require figuring out extensive reaction mechanisms, I'm OK :D

first part of orgo? did you not take it at york?

Prof Wilson actually allows people who are taking orgo at the same time into the course (lol I know because he let me and my friend into the course but I wasn't able to take it cuz it was full)... the first week of the course is a review of orgo that is needed for this course

first part of orgo? did you not take it at york?

Prof Wilson actually allows people who are taking orgo at the same time into the course (lol I know because he let me and my friend into the course but I wasn't able to take it cuz it was full)... the first week of the course is a review of orgo that is needed for this course

I took at York and dropped it after the test. Lol. I took the first part at UT and got an A :D an example of how ****ed up York chemistry is. A review sounds good because hopefully he won't expect anything more than the review in terms of orgo. I might just take it at UT :P

that kinda sucks, i had like almost an arts/science fused degree and i know they gave me bonus points for all the arts stuff i had for sure

Don't worry, I took econ1000 and it is definitely birdy! I wouldn't call it interesting though.

Now the subjective component is only 10% of your overall score. GPA is 20%. In the old eval, subjective was 25% and GPA was 25% :)

I took at York and dropped it after the test. Lol. I took the first part at UT and got an A :D an example of how ****ed up York chemistry is. A review sounds good because hopefully he won't expect anything more than the review in terms of orgo. I might just take it at UT :P

I took it last semester with prof Wilson. The course is called enzyme and metabolism, cause it's 50% enzymes and 50% metabolism. I wouldn't say you need organic Chem down to do well in this course. You can find his notes online on his website, google "Derek Wilson Yorku".

I took it last semester with prof Wilson. The course is called enzyme and metabolism, cause it's 50% enzymes and 50% metabolism. I wouldn't say you need organic Chem down to do well in this course. You can find his notes online on his website, google "Derek Wilson Yorku".

Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

speaking of yorkies, do you know any easy english courses?

I only took one full year English course, EN 3020 (psychoanalysis and approaches to literature). One of the best, most mind challenging courses I've ever taken at University. It is definitely, absolutely, 100% NOT a bird course. I did well because I went to every class and listened. The work load is decent to heavy. If you enjoy psychoanalysis, this is the course to take. The most challenging part is understanding the readings, which will in a sense prepare you for verbal :D

• 1 month later...
Damn this thread was buried deep :D

Anyone taken KINE4518 (Molecular basis of selected diseases)? School starting tomorrow so need to find a next course soon. :cool:

How about KINE2490 (athletic therapy I)? I'm not even in Kine but like how class averages are low :D

KINE 4518 has been discussed in this thread: http://premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53052