Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking to take Physics next year (for US schools and such), and I see that I can take 1410 or 1420 (life science physics). Is 1420 much easier than 1410? I ask, because 1410 fits nicer in my proposed schedule for next year, but if I take 1420 I will not have a gap in between classes, and I will have to be frantically running across campus to get to my class in time. So should I take 1410 and have a nicer timetable, or is 1420 so much easier that it is worth taking over 1410? Thanks.

I am looking to take Physics next year (for US schools and such), and I see that I can take 1410 or 1420 (life science physics). Is 1420 much easier than 1410? I ask, because 1410 fits nicer in my proposed schedule for next year, but if I take 1420 I will not have a gap in between classes, and I will have to be frantically running across campus to get to my class in time. So should I take 1410 and have a nicer timetable, or is 1420 so much easier that it is worth taking over 1410? Thanks.

difficulty always depends on the prof teaching the course.

Prof Terekidi for 1410 had no m/c, and all quiz/test for us was short answers

Prof Jerzak for 1420 has m/c from what I hear

btw, its actually better NOT to have breaks in your schedule especially at york.. you won't get much done in 1 hr breaks.

I was not actually looking to study in the break, I know this sounds really lame, but I just wanted to make sure I have time to line up so I can get to the front row. Laugh if you will, but sitting in the front row helped me get into a biology research practicum in my first year :P lol

Also, does anyone know if they still give video lectures of Human Phys 1? I heard they stopped doing that.

look at all the new yorku threads.. our numbers grow exponentially every year.. I think in 3 years or so, almost half will be from yorku :)

Heck Yeah!

difficulty always depends on the prof teaching the course.

Prof Terekidi for 1410 had no m/c, and all quiz/test for us was short answers

Prof Jerzak for 1420 has m/c from what I hear

btw, its actually better NOT to have breaks in your schedule especially at york.. you won't get much done in 1 hr breaks.

I took Physics 1420 and the m/c is what makes the course very hard to get an A+. Jerzak's tests are out of 30-32 marks and gives 4-6 m/c questions which are all theoretical (none of them are ever calculations). I would say its a tough course to get an A, but its possible as long as you put effort like any other course. But there is a HUGE gap between an A and A+... since the multiple choice questions are very tough. And last thing to note, his final exam was also unreasonably difficult for some odd reason. Overall the course is labeled "easier" than the other one because of the prof who is very nice, but that doesn't matter because the tests are still quite difficult as 1410. Atleast in 1410 you are able to get part marks for doing questions, 1420 we would often plead to the prof to remove the m/c. This is coming from a guy who got an A+ in chem1000 ;)

ECON does not qualify as interesting lol. I really struggled to get through that course due to the extremely boring topics covered. I hear hollywood: old and new is easy, you could also look into taking an upper year sociology course.

Wouldn't upper year sociology courses be hard? I've never taken a SOSC course before.

anyone know if 2nd year psyc and kine courses have enrollment restrictions?

I'd hate the feeling of trying to enroll in 2nd year psyc/kine courses (as a Bio major) as soon as my enrollment window opens up and then being blocked by the system because of reserved spots..:eek:

Both will! You'll need to email the departments to find out when seats become unreserved.

anyone know if 2nd year psyc and kine courses have enrollment restrictions?

I'd hate the feeling of trying to enroll in 2nd year psyc/kine courses (as a Bio major) as soon as my enrollment window opens up and then being blocked by the system because of reserved spots..:eek:

Reserved seats are mostly applicable to upper year (3rd and mostly 4th) courses.