Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

Don't forget that they had a bonus 5% (lab participation) which we don't have so maybe its to balance that.

Oh really, I didn't know they had that. 5% bonus sounds a bit excessive though lol. Doesn't the average have to be like >69 or something for a class so big?

How'd you guys find the exam? It was much easier than I thought it was gonna be, esp the lab portion! :D

Oh really, I didn't know they had that. 5% bonus sounds a bit excessive though lol. Doesn't the average have to be like >69 or something for a class so big?

How'd you guys find the exam? It was much easier than I thought it was gonna be, esp the lab portion! :D

I found it hard especially the lab part :o

I found it hard especially the lab part :o

if you had time to study, you could have been out of the room at 9.. I unfortunately didn't have much time.., I was there till the end and had to guess afew cuase some of the integrative stuff just took way too much time to think and my sleepy mind couldn't think it out....

Cptn Crunch was right though, it was easier than phys 1 exam. I hope the results agreee..

Hey Guys.. Just got a quick question... I wanna take Chem 1 and 2 in summer ... Got into Chem 2 but Chem 1 has been on restricted status since Day 1.. Called the registrar but she was of no help... she said wait until it opens...

What do u guys think?? When do they usually open the courses for all the faculty .... Im in BHS Health management btw...

Also a question of the people who have done Chem 1 and 2 ... What do u guys think will it be easy to do them together???

Prof. Humstead is teaching both courses this summer....

2nd year is difficult in every program, with biomed the hardest probably

what about just taking human phys 1 and tackling the MCAT? Is human phys 2 important as well?

well, ultimately it's up to you. If you feel want to take the MCAT after human phys 1 then sure! :P I just felt more comfortable taking human phys 2 and yes, there are some concepts that are useful, but with just human phys 1, I think it's fine. There should be enough background info covered in human phys 1.

2nd year is crunch time for me..i'm going to be taking too many courses (Biochem, Cell Bio, Physics, Genetics etc.) so I have no room for human phys 2

Hahah then, I don't suggest taking it yet. If this schedule/ course load will overwhelm you then don't add it in. You can always take your time with the MCAT and prep as much for it as you want, but getting a crappy GPA is smthg you can't erase.

well said, I think I've been focusing too much on the MCAT, right now I just need to take courses and do good, the MCAT can wait

Yea, most premeds overwhelm themselves with the MCAT, but they don't know that along the way, doing good in courses = prepping MOST of the MCAT material. Finding extra time, like in the summer you can go into more detail with it. But an overall good GPA is the basic component of reaching your goal :D

I've taken both courses. Take Motivation with Marchese (easy A+, don't need to attend lecture) and take Health psych with Mills, not Goldberg. Goldberg is not good I hear.

Really Marchese is easier? His ratemyprof comments seemed pretty bad, heard Charlton was actually quite easy. I don't think Mills would be teaching health psych during the year (she's teaching in the summer) since Goldberg usually teaches them all.

has anyone whose taken chem2020 ever had Iyer as their prof and if so how is the prof in terms of teaching and making test, are they considered 'easy'

teaching = not so good... shes very disorganized and all over the place

tests = moderate difficulty but she gives hints (however test 2 (20%) and final (40%) are the same for both sections and are written by both the profs)

I heard goldbery has a bonus assignment? Is that true?

She's teaching two out of 4 sections. See: http://www.yorku.ca/health/psyc/documents/LectureScheduleFW12april5th.pdf

And yes Marchese is easy. His comments are bad because he is mind numbingly boring, but he's great if you want a minimal effort course. I had Charlton for a non-psych course so I can't comment on her easiness, but I can't imagine anyone being easier than Marchese.

Thanks for the link, I didn't even think of checking the Psyc dept website :o

I heard goldbery has a bonus assignment? Is that true?

Yeah he has a bonus assignment, but I head its very time consuming. You can see his syllabus here :

http://www.yorku.ca/health/psyc/fw201112courseoutlines.html

@ medhopeful64

I had Charlton for Motivation this year .. I got an A in the course .. the entire lecture, she stare at the board and read the powerpoint slides .. you're better off reading the book as the key statements mentioned in the book are found on her slides .. so going to the lecture is a waste of time .. however she sometime gives material (not found in the book) on the lecture & you will have like 4-5 Qs on them .. but the course requires a LOT of reading ..

A+ = a lot of reading from the textbook + attending lecture & noting the material that is not in the textbook = not easy, but possible to achieve.

omg thank you I never knew that existed

lol I never knew either until CaptainCrunchMan sent it to me. You can thank him!

@ medhopeful64

I had Charlton for Motivation this year .. I got an A in the course .. the entire lecture, she stare at the board and read the powerpoint slides .. you're better off reading the book as the key statements mentioned in the book are found on her slides .. so going to the lecture is a waste of time .. however she sometime gives material (not found in the book) on the lecture & you will have like 4-5 Qs on them .. but the course requires a LOT of reading ..

A+ = a lot of reading from the textbook + attending lecture & noting the material that is not in the textbook = not easy, but possible to achieve.

Thanks, that helps a lot :)