Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

They tried to do that in 2009. Three months later no negotiation was reached and the government had to force them back to work. Clearly the union did not learn their lesson. But yeah, I'm not sure why grad students seem to think they are entitled to more money.

I would think that they'd have full profs running them.

What? We'd still have exams? So how would it affect us then? lol

I guess we find out on Monday morning.

As in tomorrow?!

well someone was asking why the union is demanding for more money..

and this could be the potential answer. because the contract faculties make a living on teaching afew courses a year?

Last time, they wanted york to automatically transfer them to a tenure position. And the reason is because if they were running for these positions with other competitive applicants, they would lose... since they've been part time for years. Its kind of their fault because they are ruining their own careers by working part time and not participating in research etc etc...

Ummm.... b/c everyone keeps talking about it and it was voted in favour for? haha no actual stats or facts on my end here, jw about exams, sorry lol :)

I don't know... I don't think its going to happen... there was one just three years ago... it just feels a bit too early for a strike lol.

you know you got to York when:

- You cannot walk through Vari Hall without being bombarded by religious/cultural/political groups/surveys/questionnares, etc. lol

- You wonder why Blueberry Hill is being closed meanwhile Mangia Mangia, which was caught with a dead rat (ew!) is still open

- Coming to school is more like coming to a construction zone

- Every other seat in Curtis lecture hall has a broken chair, broken desk, is dirty or all the above lol

- Crimes are no longer shocking (desensitization haha)

feel free to add/critique :P

you know you got to York when:

- You cannot walk through Vari Hall without being bombarded by religious/cultural/political groups/surveys/questionnares, etc. lol

- You wonder why Blueberry Hill is being closed meanwhile Mangia Mangia, which was caught with a dead rat (ew!) is still open

- Coming to school is more like coming to a construction zone

- Every other seat in Curtis lecture hall has a broken chair, broken desk, is dirty or all the above lol

- Crimes are no longer shocking (desensitization haha)

feel free to add/critique :P

What kind of university is this? ..... O__O

I think (actually I know) I would fear for my safety if I ever attended York.

What kind of university is this? ..... O__O

I think (actually I know) I would fear for my safety if I ever attended York.

I fear my for my safety every day at York. especially with all the late buses I take.. I feel like someone's watching or following as I walk by the Go bus stops.. Constantly watching my back at around 9pm-10pm time on my usual route.. Though people get robbed at ~5 to 7 pm.. so its like Im just asking for it when I leave to take a bus that late, lol and Im being serious.. no sarcasm in there.

Wow, for some reason I'm not afraid at all and I'm usually at york for at least 2 days until 10:00 pm. But i don't think robbers would stalk people around the bus stops, they'd usually be in another area on campus. There are always a bunch of people at the bus stops.

I donno man,... I have read news of people getting robbed at like 5 pm.. in open places like Scott library or a parking lot..

I donno man,... I have read news of people getting robbed at like 5 pm.. in open places like Scott library or a parking lot..

I would LOVE for one of these punks to try this with me.

York wonders why it has the rep that it does. It has little (these days) to do with the quality of education and more to do with security and environment.

But they don't really have to do much about it because they have a captive audience in students who: A) need to stay close to come because they can't afford going elsewhere; or/and B) don't have the marks coming out of high school to get into other schools thus need to go to York.

If I had a child entering University and especially if it were a girl, I would do everything I could to not have her go to York just for the security and environment reasons alone OR she'd be a blackbelt in every martial art discipline going plus carry mace and a taser lol

I've spoken with the people in charge of York Security.

With their population (similar in size to that of Aurora), crime is inevitable. Even then, the incidence rate at York is SEVEN times less than that of Toronto as a whole.

That's not to say that crime doesn't occur, of course it does, but you have to put it in perspective. Also, I think a lot of the things you may hear about in the surrounding area of York (not necessarily at York) is associated with the university because it is a huge landmark in that area.

On the plus side, York has had some 300+ improvements that they have been given by a third-party security consulting company and they've (as of October) followed through on 152 of them so far and are implementing a whole host more. This includes those Blue emergency station things, more CCTV (600 on campus now) and increased authority of security officers.

Just thought I'd play devil's advocate and provide some info I know :) ...

I've spoken with the people in charge of York Security.

With their population (similar in size to that of Aurora), crime is inevitable. Even then, the incidence rate at York is SEVEN times less than that of Toronto as a whole.

That's not to say that crime doesn't occur, of course it does, but you have to put it in perspective. Also, I think a lot of the things you may hear about in the surrounding area of York (not necessarily at York) is associated with the university because it is a huge landmark in that area.

On the plus side, York has had some 300+ improvements that they have been given by a third-party security consulting company and they've (as of October) followed through on 152 of them so far and are implementing a whole host more. This includes those Blue emergency station things, more CCTV (600 on campus now) and increased authority of security officers.

Just thought I'd play devil's advocate and provide some info I know :) ...

+1

Just cuz york decides to let its students know of every single crime that happens in the area, doesn't mean that other universities don't have crime happening?

Also when crime happens in the area surrounding york, the media will report it as a crime that happened AT york university however if the crime happened at uoft, the media will report that it happened in downtown toronto (the york president made this point once).