Premed 101 Forums

Are you a Yorkie Premed? (York Premed Discussion)

charmer08

Are you a Yorkie?  

205 members have voted

1. 1. Are you a Yorkie?

• Yes
    • No

for biomech, I can honestly say they tested us on stuff that wasn't even thought.

I need to start going to live lectures instead of just listening to recordings..

exam was easier? Thats good to hear I guess.

testing if the quotes are actually broken

edit: yea the quotes arent messd up, I think it was my doing when I quoted some ones messags and made a edited accidently on my phone..

but yea, just quote the next mesage and it won't show up like that

From a former York grad student who was there at the time of the first strike: "they used up all their funds on the last one, so they won't be able to strike again for a few more years at least, even if they wanted to."

You don't hate York already?

They're in good relations atleast for now... Don't believe what other people say because most of the times they will say the most stupid-est things ever.

Hope you guys are right lol I keep hearing about it, I also heard they're makng a decision March 24th

Hope you guys are right lol I keep hearing about it, I also heard they're makng a decision March 24th

A strike would be good. Look at it this way, more time to study and relax. And depending on how you use the strike, it can be towards your advantage especially with special curves that every course gives.

A strike would be good. Look at it this way, more time to study and relax. And depending on how you use the strike, it can be towards your advantage especially with special curves that every course gives.

Yeah when you're going to have 4 exams in 2 days, then be thankful. Last strike, the exam period was squeezed to being a week long.

Where do you come up with half the crap you espouse? Ask the peeps who were around for the last strike how happy they were.

IT WAS TERRIBLE!!! No break between end of class and exams, half the time for the exam period, straight into second semester, then more condensed exams. Also after three months of not studying, you kind of forget everything you learned before. Some profs made accommodations, others didn't. I still finished with a decent GPA that year (high 3.8's) but lots of other people did horribly because of it. And it was very stressful.

Yup, that's in line what the numerous recounts that were told to me as well.

Its clear he's clueless who espouses crap thinking he has any believable cred

even if a strike happens, I think the teachers will still do the exams becuase you don't need a ta to be at the exam, you only need them to mark the exams.

the hired proctors and york can hire more exam proctors.. so I think this semester will end smoothly even if it does happen.

worry about the summer semester (if you are planning on doing summer school)

even if a strike happens, I think the teachers will still do the exams becuase you don't need a ta to be at the exam, you only need them to mark the exams.

the hired proctors and york can hire more exam proctors.. so I think this semester will end smoothly even if it does happen.

worry about the summer semester (if you are planning on doing summer school)

haha great

oh well, good to hear that this semester will most likely end smoothly

I swear to god if tnese pricks strike and it screws up exams i will stab someone lol

atleast we aren't graduating..

I feel for the people that are going to graduate, and can't get their transcripts or degree.

but now the more and more I think about it. if the same thing happened as last time, then it will be extremely damaging to my summer plans :(

EFFFFF can that happen?? I'm graduating. My only course is an independent study being conducted outside of York though, so it shouldn't affect my ability to get my degree.

The whole thing is retarded. Graduate students are just that- STUDENTS, not employees. I have no idea why they think they are entitled to more $$.

Well I remember some people got in to med school in 2009, but their offer was almost taken back becuSe they had to get the transcript in by a time but had a bard time to do that because of strike and extending of the second semester..

The only difference would be that the 2009 strike was much earlier. So they couldnt move on. This 2012 case seems different bc we are so close to exams.

I again talked to some TAs and it seems like it can happen depending on the votes. If I had to predict, I would say votes will be in favor of the strike, simply because a lot of the arts ta actually are older than the average science ta and would need all the extra cash they can get.

These unionized jobs R such a pain. The people that don't want the strike can't do much because they arent the majority.

You can thank the system for creating this mess and power base.

Back in the day you had far less TA thus professors were forced to.. actually teach which included marking. These days, professors are hired for research and teaching second which is evident by the number of courses taught by a professor each semester/year.

By Universities transitioning from teaching to research they'd had to hire more TA's by offering more graduate funding to make up for the work that professors no longer want to do thus creating a power base for TA's.

Now, as a business person I hope and pray the University sticks it out for the long haul. That is the only way to break a union so that fair negotiation can take place in future and not be taken to ransom of a union workforce who always wants more and more.

If graduate students are so unhappy they are free to quit and pay for their education themselves.