Premed 101 Forums

Medicine interviews convocation

orcaab

Do not take McGill`s decision personally...

Amazing applicants are rejected for no apparent reason every year. Keep working hard and it will come to you.

They are also willing to meet with you in May-June to discuss your application and see where you can improve. (But you must take it with a grain of salt, because they very often do not have a tangible reason why they rejected you.)

Sometimes, the only reason why they rejected you is because their computer random ranking software didn't place you in a good position (I won't be surprised if they actually do this).

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm just making this up, but I wouldn't be surprised if they actually do, McGill med school is like the lottery.

Tell me about it...

3 years ago, I got an interview for premed with a 32.5 R-Score and basically no ECs (honestly... I did not really deserve one)

This year, I was rejected pre-interview with a 3.8X/4.00 GPA, 2 humanitarian trips, 2 years of research and part-time job.

There is nothing to understand.

Do not be discouraged. I applied and still haven't received an e-mail although some of my friends did. I know more people who did not get it than those who did. All of those who did not (yet) have amazing grades and ECs. Also, on Minerva, it does not say that you got rejected. I also called one of the Admissions Officer a few minutes ago and she told me that all official decisions will be sent by tonight. This means that they send them by waves and not all at the same time. Fingers crossed! Hopefully we'll get the e-mail soon :)

Don't give up!

Tell me about it...

3 years ago, I got an interview for premed with a 32.5 R-Score and basically no ECs (honestly... I did not really deserve one)

This year, I was rejected pre-interview with a 3.8X/4.00 GPA, 2 humanitarian trips, 2 years of research and part-time job.

There is nothing to understand.

You are underlining the lottery aspect to the process.

Hi MAkOOO,

Thank you so much! Despite all I have heard today at school (the official email and the Minerva update)..I will still be hopeful..

They will send the official decision on March 31st (which is midnight time)..I have to manage to stay awake until that time:)

What worries me the most was when I talked to Mr.Dansereau..he was reluctant to tell me if "Admission decision: release date March 31st" means refusal...but he said at the end..that the odds are against your favour, since they are 85 places for 700 applicants..

I probably won't be able to do much tonight beside anticipating for that email at midnight..

I guess that McGill med is kinda subjective and is a random lottery ticket..:mad:

Do not be discouraged. I applied and still haven't received an e-mail although some of my friends did. I know more people who did not get it than those who did. All of those who did not (yet) have amazing grades and ECs. Also, on Minerva, it does not say that you got rejected. I also called one of the Admissions Officer a few minutes ago and she told me that all official decisions will be sent by tonight. This means that they send them by waves and not all at the same time. Fingers crossed! Hopefully we'll get the e-mail soon :)

Don't give up!

Hi MAkOOO,

Thank you so much! Despite all I have heard today at school (the official email and the Minerva update)..I will still be hopeful..

They will send the official decision on March 31st (which is midnight time)..I have to manage to stay awake until that time:)

What worries me the most was when I talked to Mr.Dansereau..he was reluctant to tell me if "Admission decision: release date March 31st" means refusal...but he said at the end..that the odds are against your favour, since they are 85 places for 700 applicants..

I probably won't be able to do much tonight beside anticipating for that email at midnight..

I guess that McGill med is kinda subjective and is a random lottery ticket..:mad:

Do not worry :) Just distract yourself for now and we'll see what happens. Life sucks sometimes, but what can we do about it? Fingers crossed!

Hey Makoo,

Thank you so much:D

I guess that I have never been this disappointed in my life...and I am recovering from my shock.

Did the admission officer say that they will send it out by midnight or really tonight? because Mr.Dansereau said that it would be at midnight ish (since it is written March 31st on Minerva).

What is your 2nd choice for med school ? Mine is ULaval:)

I am so grateful to be part of this forum and to receive so many encouragements from so many of you,

No matter what the decision will be tonight, I will remain hopeful and faithful,

and to everyone who is in the same situation as I am...don't give up..Probably McGill has the best prestige, but please don't waste time trying to figure out what went wrong...We are all amazing candidates and every med school in Quebec is fantastic!

I will cross my finger for everyone in my situation ;)

Or you can start thinking about how to prepare yourselves for French schools. Cegepiens are lucky, they can easily get an interview at French schools if they works super hard, unlike university applicants who's academic scores depend on how the university calculates it (and sometimes they do it in a silly way).

Faith, I hope it'll all work out for you :) As it's been said, the invites are going out by waves and you can only hope for the best for today and tomorrow!

Like you've said, every med school in Quebec is great, and I trust that, no matter what, you'll be at home wherever you go. Prepare yourself for the MEMFI right now (wow, they're only a month away). Don't stress yourself out this soon over McGill decision and remember that McGill Admissions are like the lottery :P

I cross my fingers in hope for you and everyone here who is in your situation :)

Voici le lien pour leur politique de reconsidération : https://secureweb.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/sites/mcgill.ca.medadmissions/files/reconsideration_policy_27-09-2010_en_fr.pdf

Malheureusement, ils sont très clairs sur les raisons qui peuvent les mener à reconsidérer une application.

• Administrative error in the procedure applied to the evaluation of the application;**

• the Admissions Committee's decision was rendered in the absence of a relevant factor that the

applicant, for reasons beyond her or his control, was not in a position to provide at the time the

application was submitted.***

J'espère que ça ira bien pour tes MEMFI :)

Archived