Premed 101 Forums

SN2ed Summer 2012

t0ny

Hey, how are you guys incorporating the essay writing into your schedules? Maybe do a few prompts on the break day?

I'm also curious to see how others plan to prepare for the WS. It's something that's very easy to neglect and could come back to bite you in the ass. I think a fair amount of time should be invested in it although I guess it depends on which schools people are aiming for.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey folks, I'm also using this schedule, however, I have not taken organic chem in university yet. I'm scared that this will end up killing me on test day (august 23rd), do you think it will be enough that I use the two BR orgo books and try and understand it all? Thanks:)

hey folks, I'm also using this schedule, however, I have not taken organic chem in university yet. I'm scared that this will end up killing me on test day (august 23rd), do you think it will be enough that I use the two BR orgo books and try and understand it all? Thanks:)

If you have a good background in General Chemistry the Organic Chemistry shouldn't be too hard to grasp with a couple slow read throughs. However for me, I had no General Chemistry background so when I first opened Berkley Review's Organic Chemistry book I had no idea what the hell was going on.

So I took a step back, and now I have thoroughly reviewed General Chemistry videos from Kahn academy, Coursesaver.com (these you have to pay for), and the Berkley Review gen chem book.It's a slow process but with enough patience and time to really understanding the foundations you will be ok. I am now pretty comfortable with a lot of the Organic Chem that I wasn't before. Btw I am not advocating for coursesaver.com but if you want to go check it out you can, I find his videos EXTREMELY helpful in directing my studying.

Before attempting any practice passages for a section I will do:

1) Kahnacademy (for basic understanding, very good conceptually, allows you to build a BASE before diving in to more complex stuff)

2) Coursesaver.com (he expects you to know basics, but very good at building more in-depth conceptual knowledge, VERY good at explaining exactly what you need to know for the MCAT. uses a lot of great analogies like Mr.Kahn)

3) Berkley Content Review (brush over the basics briefly, go through a lot of MCAT based questions, tips, and tricks to really nail down your test taking ability). This is where it all should come together.

I feel like this combo has really helped me prepare my conceptual knowledge and test taking ability. Everyone has their own way of studying though :D

How are you guys doing on verbal so far? I find that time is an issue for me right now. The schedule says to take all passages under timed conditions, but I'm finding that I run out of time. Should I focus on completing the passages without any regard for time right now? What should I do when I run out of time and I still have questions to answer? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Hey all!

Im using the SN2ed schedule this summer however I'm using TPR instead of TBR. I had a question, I don't quite grasp what they mean by "EK Bio In-class " I haven't received my EK stuff yet but how come its only Bio In class reviews every week?

Have the exact same problem. If I do finish on time, it is hastily so and perhaps (more like for sure) I rush some of the questions leading to a lower mark...I just finished Test 1 of EK 101 got a 6... so not really happy right now...

How are you guys doing on verbal so far? I find that time is an issue for me right now. The schedule says to take all passages under timed conditions, but I'm finding that I run out of time. Should I focus on completing the passages without any regard for time right now? What should I do when I run out of time and I still have questions to answer? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My verbal scores have no consistency so far. Goes from having 7/7 on all 3 i do in a day to getting 5/7 for all 3 another. I feel like it is so random.

Also im having a bit of difficulty with bio for some reason. Gotta get a grip on it. Day #8 of schedule tomorrow

I have no consistency in my verbal scores either, but mine vary even more than yours. I've gone from 4/7 to 7/7 then to 2/7. I guess its just going to take some time before I get consistent; I've only been on the schedule for a couple days now so I'm not expecting significant improvement until later on.

Only problem I have with following the schedule so far is that the O-chem passages in earlier chapters ask questions on material that isn't presented until the later chapters. I find it useless even attempting to do them as I feel I'm wasting my time answering questions on material that I vaguely remember from my first two years at university. Going to have to have to get a little ahead in the schedule so I save a day or two to go back and do all of the passages I'm skipping.

My verbal scores are pretty low as well right now(2-3 wrong per passage, 2 passages per day). I'm only three days in, so I guess that should be expected. I do feel that reviewing your passages really helps in the sense that you become better at guessing what types of questions might be asked and as result pay attention to the corresponding info in the passage. That's what I'm doing right now. If anybody else has any tips/suggestions, I think that would really help out.

BTW, am I the only one that HATES philosophy passages? They feel like they are written in a different language!

Holy crap just did the day yesterday where you have to reread all the chapters + do 1/3 of the EK 1001 questions for each. Thats a long ass day and didnt have time to finish. Going to have to catch up today

I think i have taken on WAY too much this summer lol I have no time for anything. I'm working part time as a lab tech (~20hours a week), Tutoring 3 ADHD highschool kids (~10-12 hours a week), Research volunteer in a neuroscience lab (~5-7 hours a week) and doing SN2ed schedule.

Ughhhh

I think i have taken on WAY too much this summer lol I have no time for anything. I'm working part time as a lab tech (~20hours a week), Tutoring 3 ADHD highschool kids (~10-12 hours a week), Research volunteer in a neuroscience lab (~5-7 hours a week) and doing SN2ed schedule.

Ughhhh

lol i'm pretty sure SN2ed emphasizes that his schedule requires ALL of your time/attention!

t0ny that's actually ridiculous.. and I thought I had a lot of stuff going on..

and yes bpatient I do understand where I go wrong it's just so tough while timing yourself to think so thoroughly. It takes me usually 10+ minutes per passage + answering questions.. I hope it's only uphill from here, best of luck everyone

I was wondering how many hours per day on average spend people are spending by following the SN2ed? I am a MCAT re-taker so concepts should be fairly familiar.

I am planning to write my mcat in September and I will start in a couple of weeks so I am following the 3 months variation. But I am working 40 hours/week in a lab as a technician. Do you guys think this is possible on the Sn2ed schedule? if so, how are you doing it? 6 am to 9 am study? then work 9-6 pm and then 7-10 pm? you guys think it's enough. Please help!

Archived